Black Belt Training - My current BB journey

Casana

Blueberry Nut
I thought I'd share with the group my current bb journey...

My company CEO has decided we MUST become a "Black Belt" company so it was decreed that some of us attend black belt training and start using this training immediately.

The trainers were very good (had lots of previous experience training BB with Motorola), but the first week at least felt like a very basic review of some basic quality tools like histograms, fishbone diagrams, cpk's, etc. I've been to tons of TQM training of all types, plus I passed the CQE exam, so none of this is news to me :eek: , to be honest it almost felt like a waste of time aside from the fact that we got to play a bit with the Minitab software.

So far I'm not impressed... I guess the proof will be whether management actually gives us the resources to conduct the improvement projects we've been assigned.

Anyone else out there on a similar "journey"? If so what have been your experiences so far?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

Denis

Hi, I'm about to start attending a Black Belt training course here in the Uk. I have looked at the programme and over the next few months will complete the training. The training is split into 5 seperate weeks approx one month apart. the agenda looks much as the previous post outlines. the initial week 1 is fairly basic stuff, but then moves onto the more complex ideas.

I will try to keep you posted, but this looks like being the right direction to be going, continuous improvement by any name is a good thing.

M

M Greenaway

I'd be interested to know if there was really anything new in it, or if it is just a load of old theories re-packaged with a load of new jargon.

A

Al Dyer

Re: Black Belt Training

Originally posted by Casana
...trainers were very good (had lots of previous experience training BB with Motorola), but the first week at least felt like a very basic review of some basic quality tools like histograms, fishbone diagrams, cpk's, etc...., to be honest it almost felt like a waste of time...So far I'm not impressed....
Welcome to the world of 6S (Continuous Improvement). Sounds like the boss/owner has had the 6S fairy whispering in his/her ear and wants to spend some money on the fad of the day.

Look around in to Cove and you will find a wealth of information concerning 6S. Don't be surprised if you find it mostly negative. (especially from me!):bigwave:

D

Denis

Hi,
Well I've just finished my first week of Black belt training on 6 Sigma. My initial thoughts are that there isn't anything new here either, but even the people who are running the course admit to that!

Where the emphasis seems to lie (IMO) is that you use all the tools available to hopefully resolve the problem.

The only new thing (to me) was the creative thinking aspect, Six hats by Edward De Bono, now I found the human approach and understanding to be very interesting.

Keep you posted.

A

Al Dyer

What's happening to 6 sigma Motorola, the stock has dropped from 25 to 15 in the last year? I thought they were the benchmark for this earth shattering new program.

No snide comments, just an "observation" from someone who cares about 6 sigma!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lick:

A quote from Implementing Six Sigma, Forrest Breyfogle, 1999, page 32 of preface:

"Six sigma can be very beneficial to improving the bottom line - if implemented correctly.":ca:

U

Unregistered

Motorola's current problems arose from the crash in the mobile phone market did it not ?

I guess even a quality product will fail if there is no market for it. Does six sigma address this issue at all ?

R

Rick Goodson

Al,

I think you might find this interesting. David Schwinn has 'developed' Six Sigma Simplified (S3). In fact, it is so simplified it has boiled down to PDCA.

How about that, Dr. Deming simply didn't live long enough.

Rick

Casana

Blueberry Nut
Week 2 of 6sigma training

Well, I finished week 2 of my black belt training last Friday. This time we just reviewed for 4 1/2 days several basic stat tools, like chi2, anova, T-test, F test, etc. For me it was a good, painful review of the stats I had to study for the CQE... Good because I really haven't used any of the tools learned for the CQE and was beginning to forget them... Painful because I can only take stats for so long before my mind gets *fried*.

Again, the most useful thing I got out of the training is learning more of how to use Minitab to do all the number crunching. Still feels like the flavor of the month... since we *can't* do continous improvement unless its thru some fancy program with a fancy name and pedigree of course...

Frankly I'm still cynical about it, mostly because to do anything we'll need resources (for me its TIME resources that I'm worried about) and managers usually just pay lip service to the granting of resources...

LOL, Rick, I like that... PDCA!! What a concept!!!

Next report in a month or so....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R What's the major difference between Green Belt and Black Belt in term of training and project Six Sigma 3
B Good Black Belt Training Programs? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 12
dsalcido Black Belt Training - I am located in Houston, TX Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
Ajit Basrur How to Start Six Sigma GB (Green Belt) / BB (Black belt) Internal Training? Six Sigma 3
T Black Belt Training and Salary Discussion Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
K Looking for Six Sigma Black Belt projects in Customer Service Six Sigma 7
A Application / Use of Hypothesis Testing in any Six Sigma Black Belt Project Six Sigma 8
M ASQ CMBB Master Black Belt - anyone appearing for Mar 1, 2014 exam ? Professional Certifications and Degrees 6
G Looking for live project in company for Six Sigma Black belt Project Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
K ASQ Six Sigma Handbook - Should I purchase the Black Belt handbook now? Six Sigma 5
P The difference between Six Sigma Black Belt and Master Black Belt Six Sigma 2
C When do I select Team for Black Belt Project? Six Sigma 3
K What is the role of the Six Sigma Black Belt? Six Sigma 9
C What is the Salary for a certified 6 Sigma Black Belt? Six Sigma 24
Q Completed Certified Six Sigma Black Belt (CSSBB) Oct 17th 2009 Professional Certifications and Degrees 11
P Attribute Control Chart in my Process - Black Belt says Not Appropriate Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
Q ASQ CSSBB - Certified Six Sigma Black Belt Professional Certifications and Degrees 18
E Who could give a book named The certified six sigma black belt handbook Professional Certifications and Degrees 6
P Six Sigma Black Belt Certification Professional Certifications and Degrees 20
S ASQ Six Sigma Black Belt Affidavit Professional Certifications and Degrees 41
P Six Sigma Green Belt and Black Belt Qualifications Six Sigma 5
S ASQ - Six Sigma Black Belt Certification Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
S Confusion DPU, PPM & DPMO vs. Sigma Level - ASQ Six Sigma Black Belt hand book Six Sigma 14
S I am considering an online Black Belt Certification Six Sigma 19
ScottK Soliciting Feedback for my final Black Belt project -please review my Project Charter Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 4
B Six Sigma green belt and black belt online certification question Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
B Preparing myself for certified six sigma black belt Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
A Six sigma black belt telephone test Six Sigma 5
J Would you recommend starting at Yellow Belt or go straight to Black Belt? Six Sigma 7
G Master Black Belt Certification without spending too much money Six Sigma 28
G Black Belt vs Green Belt projects Six Sigma 3
E What is Project Scoping? Must I work with a SS Master Black Belt? Six Sigma 5
H Tables to be taken to the Six Sigma Black Belt Exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
C 6 Sigma Black Belt Certification Exam - Preparation suggestions Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
G Definition Attribute Screens - ASQ CSix Sigma Black Belt Body of Knowledge mesurement method Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 5
A Master Black Belt Certification - Looking for recognized MBB certification course Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
6 Transactional six sigma project needed - Working on my black belt - Detroit Six Sigma 3
Marc Which is more important to a Quality Professional - MBA or Six Sigma Black Belt? Professional Certifications and Degrees 44
J Does any black belt meet this situation? The problem is the process Six Sigma 6
I Do I Want To Be A Six Sigma Black Belt? Six Sigma 3
A Six Sigma Black Belt Certificate in 8 weeks - Online - Is it possible? Six Sigma 13
A CSSBB (Certified Six Sigma Black Belt) Sample Exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 8
Govind Help Requested: Six Sigma Black Belt Certification (CSSBB) Comparison study Professional Certifications and Degrees 16
J Job Offer: Six Sigma Black Belt vs. SQE for one of Biggest Auto supplier Career and Occupation Discussions 15
Marc Six Sigma Master Black Belt Six Sigma 8
G Black-Belt Project in a Calibration Laboratory? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S ASQ Six Sigma Black Belt - Format or any samples of two projects submitted Six Sigma 3
T Master Black Belt vs MS Applied Statistics Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
A CQE (Certified Quality Engineer) vs. Six Sigma Black or Green Belt and Statistics Professional Certifications and Degrees 14
C CQE vs. Six Sigma Black Belt - Is there a Big Difference? Professional Certifications and Degrees 12