Blank Fields on CAPA Form

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
It's not an NC unless a specific documented requirement wasn't fulfilled. What does your own internal documentation say?
Yes. The company's internal procedures should define exactly what is to be filled in on any form. Note that it can happen that a customer specific requirement could affect what is required in the company's procedure and form, and certain standards may have specific requirement(s).

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

younggun007

Starting to get Involved
You are auditing the Corrective Action process, not forms. If the missing data on the forms impacts negatively the effective operation of the CA process, the finding should definitely be reported as a nonconformity and acted upon, accordingly.
I agree, and not having the "due date" specified is against the procedure. I have issued a minor NC.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
You are auditing the Corrective Action process, not forms. If the missing data on the forms impacts negatively the effective operation of the CA process, the finding should definitely be reported as a nonconformity and acted upon, accordingly.
What requirement would be cited as having not been fulfilled? No need for an NC if there is no explicit requirement. It would be a good idea, however, to suggest that the requirements be reviewed.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
I would do your company a favor and actually look at the effectiveness of the CAPA system. Are they hitting a good root cause analysis? Are they taking effective corrective actions? Are things progressing in a timely manner? Is it a consistent and sustainable system? Etc. If you came to me with a NC because someone left a field blank on a form, I would question your value. The form isn't the process.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
What requirement would be cited as having not been fulfilled?
If you are asking about an internally driven requirement that ALL fields in ALL forms have to filled out or N/A'ed, I guess very few organizations would have a requirement such as this. But, I repeat myself: the internal auditor is NOT auditing the form completion activity, he is auditing the CA process. Data capture, timelines, etc. are important for the PROCESS to function effectively. The overarching requirements from the QMS standard should have been made granular in the process definition of the company. I have no idea what the granular requirements for this organization are. But auditing the tree while the forest is on fire, does not add value.

younggun007

Starting to get Involved
If you are asking about an internally driven requirement that ALL fields in ALL forms have to filled out or N/A'ed, I guess very few organizations would have a requirement such as this. But, I repeat myself: the internal auditor is NOT auditing the form completion activity, he is auditing the CA process. Data capture, timelines, etc. are important for the PROCESS to function effectively. The overarching requirements from the QMS standard should have been made granular in the process definition of the company. I have no idea what the granular requirements for this organization are. But auditing the tree while the forest is on fire, does not add value.
Excellent points Sidney. Yes the whole CAPA process was audited and reviewed for proper Root Cause identified and implemented. Also looked at preventive actions identified and follow up actions. All were good, some minor discussion points. The blank fields were observations on some of the forms and we are addressing with a NC since the due dates were missing.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Can 'Not Applicable' Fields on Forms be Left Blank? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
M Blank Fields on Manufacturing Work Instructions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
W Form Approval - Blank forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
A Should I call this ?Blank Template? a Work Instruction? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
S Showing Evidence of Review and Approval of Blank Forms and Templates 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
F Who should provide blank drawings and foundry molding drawings? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
R Any of you have blank PFMEA and Control plan form that I could use? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
B Can we fill-up blank field or alter information on the records? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
V Control of Forms - Do the blank forms need to be Password Protected? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
smryan How to get chart to ignore text/blank? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 3
Q FMEA 4th Edition Blank P and D FMEA sheets in Excel .xls spreadsheets FMEA and Control Plans 42
Q Weighing (Weight) Scales Verification - Blank weight of material General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
A Running MRP and Kanban on the same blank/part - Is this possible? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
Manix Why are pages left blank on Specifications, Standards, and Directives etc? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
M Blank Form vs. Completed Form - A document or record? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 11
S IEC 60601-1-2 immunity to proximity fields Test setup - Diagnostic ECG device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
Q Change of fields - Quality Engineering Electronics Vs medical Devices Career and Occupation Discussions 20
C PPAP GM 1411 WORKSHEET Fields - Compilation APQP and PPAP 3
Q Change of fields within Quality Career and Occupation Discussions 4
S Putting Data Macros in a Form Fields - Access 2010 Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 5
Marc Plowing Carbon Into the Fields to Eliminate the need for Fertilizer World News 12
Manix MS Access Using VB Code Filter - One txt box to search mulitple fields in a record! After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 23
D ISO 9001:2000 in Hotels Travel & Tourism ‎Fields ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Marc Control Plan content and fields - Format and Reaction Plan - 4.9.1 & 4.9.2 QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 7
B Do you use paper or web-based templates for CAPA processes? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
G Any good examples of CAPA forms that include a risk based approach? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
B CAPA - Extensions vs Overdue Nonconformance and Corrective Action 11
G New CAPA Work Flow with Revised 8D Approach Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 35
B Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA) A Key Process of the Quality Management System Dec 17... Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
V CAPA effectiveness check Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
Ed Panek CAPA against Notified Body? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
CPhelan Nonconformance opened as incorrect expiration date placed on received product. Escalate to CAPA? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
N How to monitor the effectiveness of the CAPA system ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
G Differences - Nonconformances vs CAPA, Corrections vs Corrective Actions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
Q Raising A CAPA on Current CAPA system US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
Z Security for Approvals - Cloud based Complaint, NC, and CAPA systems Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 8
S FDA requirements and CAPA's Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
J MDR reporting and CAPA thoughts? Classifying Complaints on Risk 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
P Documentation for correction, corrective action, mini CAPA Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
P Quality objectives - must they include CAPA and internal audit topic? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 28
A Can change control can be closed if the CAPA is still open? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
D CAPA vs. Risk Assessment - Changing a product material for better performance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A NCR, NCMR, CAPA, Deviations - Medical Device Distributor Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
S CAPA Investigation Methods Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
Q Should I initiate CAPA for a nonconformance not recorded? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 25
R CAPA Verification - ISO 13485:2016 Requirements and Objective Evidence ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J CAPA and other Log Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
D Any Elsmar members using Traqpath to manage CAPA? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
Document Dame CAPA - Suggested Action vs Action Plan Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
A Audit Finding - CAPA, Improvement Initiatives not filed in CAR System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5