Blessings to VA Tech

al40

Quite Involved in Discussions
I would like to send my thoughts and prayers out to any Covers that are VA tech fans or those from Blacksburg VA.

Best Regards,

Al40

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
C

Craig H.

One of the dead students was from a town about an hour from here. A senior, 3 majors, 4.0 GPA. I didn't know him, but what a waste. Its very, very sad.

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
I would like to extend my condolences and deepest sympathy to any Covers that have been affected by this terrible tragedy. My prayers are with those that have suffered losses.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
I also wish to offer my support to people affected by this tragedy.

When a calamity happened during my Naval service there would be a Stand Down to focus on remedy.

It seems like a good time for us as a society to do a little navel examining and ask ourselves what makes people do these tragic things. Might I suggest viewing Bowling for Columbine. Whatever opinion one has of Michael Moore, I think that movie is profound. I also recommend The Art of Happiness At Work by the Dalai Lama.

While working in the school system I got a close-up look at the stresses people put on each other and the kind of damage that can happen when a person has no defense or support mechanism to help us cope. We don't know much about the gunman, but I can guess a few things.

My boss remarked that as a society we seem to be losing our caring. I think he's on to something. In his book the Dalai Lama mentions the degree to which people (managers for example) should care for others, as in taking on some responsibility for their well being. I referenced that in my paper on following procedures.

In the end we have our own peace to maintain, responsibility to be fair to people near us and our ability to look at matters in the context for improvement.

I hope we can all come away from this with some of these things. :cfingers:

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
I graduated from VT in 1981, in Civil Engineering. Attended many classes in Norris Hall. An absolutely horrible event. But - now the news channels are now all Virginia Tech all the time. What we wouldn't have given as students to have the Today show hosted out of Blacksburg . . .

BradM

Leader
Admin
My thoughts and prayers are extended also.

You know, sometimes it seems so dark and bleak, seeing the evil in the world. I don't understand how people get in their own little world where they feel they have to kill others and/or themselves. They bring so much hurt and suffering by their actions.

I do and will always believe, though, that the world is basically good. And in great trials and adversity like this, is when we see the true human spirit of love and compassion come beaming out. The storms will rise, and sunlight will again fill our hearts.

In your quiet time, remember all who are affected, as they have to attempt to deal with the sorrow and grief of this event.

W

wmarhel

When a calamity happened during my Naval service there would be a Stand Down to focus on remedy.

It seems like a good time for us as a society to do a little navel examining and ask ourselves what makes people do these tragic things. Might I suggest viewing Bowling for Columbine. Whatever opinion one has of Michael Moore, I think that movie is profound.
I agree with you Jennifer that their needs to be an assessment on what happened. VT is a nice campus and the people in that area very pleasent from my experience, it is sad that there nutcases out there who do these things.

I would just otherwise offer a counterpoint (no political rant) regarding the movie "Bowling for Columbine" and that the movie should be viewed only as the filmmaker's opinion and that watchers should seek their own answers. No more being said on the topic.

Wayne

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D New Calibrations Tech / CMM Tech IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
PQ Systems GAGEpack Tech Tuesday Webinar Series Using GAGEpack Software 0
J 'Failure rate leading to false-negatives and repeat testing' - MDCG and Common Tech Specs Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
PQ Systems SQCpack Tech Tuesday Webinar 3-Part Series Using SQCpack Software 0
PQ Systems SQCpack Tech Tuesday Series Using SQCpack Software 0
PQ Systems GAGEpack Tech Tuesday Series Using GAGEpack Software 0
PQ Systems GAGEpack Tech Tuesday Series Using GAGEpack Software 0
PQ Systems GAGEpack Tech Tuesday - 4 part series Using GAGEpack Software 0
PQ Systems GAGEpack Tech Tuesday - 3 part series Using GAGEpack Software 0
M Technical File (STED) labelling - When you compile tech files do we have to include all the product labels? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
G Auditor watching tech do procedure - Can tech ask questions? ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
M Medical Device News FDA News - 13-09-18 - FDA works w/ tech industry to promote digital health innovation Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M After I vent...what is it with all the tech file request? EU Medical Device Regulations 14
2 High-tech medical equipment to reduce medication errors Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 5
insect warfare Letter to Tech Support Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 5
T Risk Management in a very small low tech, Class 1 Medical Device Manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C Low-tech way to check a chamfer at the machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
Marc Apple Dethrones Microsoft As World's Biggest Tech Company After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
Jim Wynne Tech Guy Radio: Woman Wants Help in Getting Her Stolen Internet Connection Back After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
K Quality Tech Skill and Comprehension Test example and help needed. Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
T Food Safety Training Tool by Purdue University and Virginia Tech Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
J Material standards for med-tech gloves EU Medical Device Regulations 8
Stijloor High Tech Cowboys of the Deep Seas World News 0
Marc Solving "Random" Puzzles Key To Scoring A-List Tech Jobs Career and Occupation Discussions 8
Marc PC World's 50 Best Tech Products of All Time After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
Al Rosen Computer Tech Support Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 4
Jen Kirley Hanging Up On Dell? Gripes about tech support are on the rise After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 8
Marc What Can The US Do To Keep Its Tech Edge? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 24
C Georgia vs. Georgia Tech Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
M Production Quality Tech Automotive General Auditing Discussions 0
C Hi Tech Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
E SPANISH TOPIC - QS9K y el Tech Standar 16949 QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 10
Marc Electronic Documents - High Tech vs. Low Tech Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3