Blueprint reading training - Does anybody have any recommendations?

N

Norman V

I'm investigating several blueprint reading courses for our company's 2002 training plans. We have several hundred people in various machining/blueprint reading operations, and many of them have had little formal training on blueprint reading.

Does anybody have any reccomendations on programs or curriculum that have worked well in your organization?

My goal is to get all our existing people "retrained", and then make this mandatory training for any new people moving into positions like this.

Your help is appreciated! Thanks.

Norman V.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
E

energy

D.O.L.

Try your Department of Labor for the types of training being offered. They are really cheaper and provide the training to help people improve their job skills. Just a thought!:smokin:

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sometimes your state university/college systems have training programs that are provided rather inexpensively and partially funded through the state (probably something like energy is talking about?) ;) I think that most states have a similar program and it can save you BIG $$$$.

Another avenue might be to assess your current personnel, maybe you have someone right there on your payroll that can provide in-house training?

E

energy

Exactly!

Originally posted by SteelMaiden
Sometimes your state university/college systems have training programs that are provided rather inexpensively and partially funded through the state (probably something like energy is talking about?) ;) I think that most states have a similar program and it can save you BIG $$$$.
Steelmaiden,

Precisely what I was talking about. All the training is done at accredited institutions, like Universities. Have a good holiday:bigwave: :smokin:

U

Unregistered

We have in our state - an office using DECA as an identifier
Department of Education and Community Affairs & local area Community Colleges are working in "harmony" with them.

They have Provided essentially "Free" blueprint training for a large number of our personel - through a local tax increment financing TIF grant (grant being the optimun word - no need for payback)

I suggest you contact your local wing of unenplyoment office - to investigate who/wher/how this works in your locality --- if they have a Statewide program the Unemploment offiec either is involved or can direct you to the appropriate contact office

N

Norman V

Fascinating

What an unexpected twist this has taken.... I had originally planned to have people trained in house, but it's hard to pass up a free or subsidized offer. Most of the in-house packages I've looked at so far cost $2,000 to $3,000.

Norman V.

Don't forget MEP

When looking for resources, don’t forget to check in with your local MEP (Manufacturing Extension Partnership) center (US only). You can find the closest one to you at: http://www.mep.nist.gov/.

Dave B (the other Dave)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Blueprint Reading Exam Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
Q Blueprint reading, Implied use? Drawing shows an implied orientation Manufacturing and Related Processes 17
1 Anybody have a a Template or Boilerplate for "Basic Blueprint Reading"? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
E Unfamiliar Blueprint Symbol - Hex Symbols Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
J Blueprint Note: Rectangular Distribution is Permissible - Concentricity of Two Holes Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
E Blueprint Notation Question - Print dimension like 4.312 g +.002 -.001 Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 14
J TSC on blueprint "to square corner" - Meaning? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
CarolX Blueprint numbering for 1st Article submission Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 13
D Definition Total (Blueprint) B/P tolerance - I am not entirely sure what B/P stands for Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
C where 2 begin? Info Mgmt Blueprint for internal Communication & knowledge xchange Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
D What is a Level 3 PPAP? Blueprint says "Level 3 PPAP is required" APQP and PPAP 10
J Creating a filing system for control of blueprint copies Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
A Federal 700B-26 Gage Block Comparator is not reading properly General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
O Supply chain strategy or commodity strategy reading recommendations Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
L Procedure for Comparing the Monitor Reading with Laboratory Result Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
N Correct reading for analog pressure gauge ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
Marc The "Reading Room" forum is still here The Reading Room 5
F DMM - Capacitance - +/- % of reading + digits? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
E Uncertainty Budget with a mixture of kg and % Reading Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
C ISO 9001 Reading Material for Service/Small Organisations ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
AnaMariaVR2 Vacation Reading: Summer Book Report The Reading Room 0
O How can I use reading from calibration certificate in measurement Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
K Is reading the Elsmar Cove a legitimate work related activity Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 19
J Calibration of Micrometer Reading up to Three Decimals General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
G Please recommend preparatory reading for AS9100 Rev C Lead Assessor Course AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
I ISO 9001:2008 Reading Material - Financial KPO with customers from all over the world ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
E Absolute to Relative Uncertainty - Expressing the U as a percent of the reading Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
S Feedback from reading Jennifer Kirley's suggested 'motivation' reading links The Reading Room 2
S Aversion of reading The Reading Room 7
K Technicians Mis-reading Vernier Micrometers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
G Try reading this - A real brain teaser Brain Teasers and Puzzles 16
F Reading recommendation for ISO 9001, please Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 8
C UUT resolution and reporting uncertainty for each reading Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
G Calibrating a reflectometer - Scale uncertainty with reading? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
R Copy of TS16949:1999 for reading purpose IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
G Proofreading System (CCD camera reading labels) vs. 21 CFR part11 Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 8
S Should we consider Precision of Machine Reading when setting Inspection Specs? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
Crusader Who has a 'Kindle' electronic reading device? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
Govind What is a Proof Reading Ratio? Japanese Customer Questionnaire General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
G Cl 8.2 Monitoring and measurement - articles & related reading material? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C Need Help Reading Engineering Drawings Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
ScottK Reading the writing on the wall in regard to your position, are you good at it? Career and Occupation Discussions 7
Crusader Layered Process Audits - Recommended Reading? Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 24
K Applicability of P Chart & U Chart - After encoding data I get no reading Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
M Are laptops part of ME SYSTEMS? Reading of IEC 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
M Reading Gauge Output Into Excel .xls - Mitutoyo digital plunger type depth gauges Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
B Star Wars Books - Anyone Else read/reading them? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
WALLACE Is a reading room a good idea for the Elsmar Cove? The Reading Room 40
Claes Gefvenberg Reading ability - The prospective auditor could not read Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 25
T QPD (Quality Policy Deployment) reading recomendations? Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1