BMS Vs QMS (Business Management Vs Quality Management System)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

arios

Your Mexican Amigo
Re: BMS Vs QMS

Yesterday someone mentioned using BMS now in place of QMS. Is this becoming popular?
Thanks
Yes, it is being common to see companies with integrated Management Systems, e.g. QMS with an EMS, or even QMS intended for compliance with various industry standards as their products require.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
It is interesting to note this discussion comes up from time to time. While I also subscribe to the notion that the concept of a quality management system is typically misunderstood by most management types (at all levels), who can't make the connection between satisfied customer, high process yields and business results :)frust:) I don't agree that compliance with a standard such as ISO 9001 or AS9100 raises to the level of a "all inclusive", comprehensive business management system. There are so many business considerations that are totally outside of the scope of a QMS. Even ISO 9001 is a subset of a comprehensive QMS; just comparing 9001 and 9004 makes us realize that. If an organization needs to "believe" that they are dealing with a BMS implementation in order to have top management attention and support, that's fine. However, as we know very well, even an organization with a fully compliant ISO 9001 QMS might fail badly for many business reasons. What would we tell the business owners for their bankruptcy when they ask us how it is possible to go under when we continously pass our "BMS" audits with flying colors, time after time?

Last edited:
P

Phiobi

Is a BMS not a slightly different concept to a pure QMS?
I understand and push the fact that a QMS is for the entire business and stakeholders but my experience of BMS is more like an integrated system of quality, H&S, environmental, HR and the money guys.... I "thought" using the BMS approach was a method of having an integrated business system BUT that you could maintain the seperate aspects of it for compliance???

I thought it was win, win - You monitor all aspects of your business for effectivness but only specific aspects during compliance?

Have I missed something?

al40

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi all,

I have always taught and pushed that a QMS should be a BMS we should strive to take the word quality out of the management system as the system is designed to improve the business if implemented correctly and supported by upper management.

I have recently been informed the last BMS\QMS I put into place won the Nunn-Perry Award from the Department of Defense. I was glad to see the President of the company comment that the award was as much mine as the company's due to the system put into place.

Best Regards,

al40

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
RoxaneB How is your BMS (Business Management System) evolving? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
DuncanGibbons Model-Based procedures and Architecting the QMS as a System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
SocalSurfer Can you recommend an enterprise QMS for new AS9100 startup AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
H Expanding our business and the implications to our QMS Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
SocalSurfer AS9100 new certificate, but need QMS software, help Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
M IT validation for a paper based MD repair company QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M QMS for a repair/servicing company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
DuncanGibbons Should the requirements FAA/EASA Part 21 be addressed within the QMS and AS9100D quality manual? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
A Is there a better way to do a complete assessment of our QMS? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
Q Managing a "special" customer into the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q AS9100:2016 D - Intent of 8.4.3 (K) - Implement QMS AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
Q From paper to Electronic (records) in the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
A QMS Overhaul - Reorganizing and Renaming Documents - Internal References Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
Q Documented actions and changes in the QMS by COVID 19 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
DuncanGibbons Enterprise Architecture for QMS Conceptualization AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
O Adding ISO 13485 to an AS9100 QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
S Class I MDR Article 10 – QMS EU Medical Device Regulations 1
I Drupal for QMS Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 26
D ISO 9001:2015 4.3 Determining the Scope of the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Scope of Combined ISO 9001 and IATF 16949 QMS - Non-automotive customers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Validation Records - Very young QMS Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
E Sharepoint for ISO 13485 QMS for small IVD company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
GreatNate Where to get a KPI dashboard for QMS processes Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
mike10 QMS Update - Rev. up or start over? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
U QMS for medical device startups ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 25
B QMS question in regards to multiple medical devices/products and N/A activities Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
B Record Management - Does the QMS need to control templates of records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
D How do I promote my QMS? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
I Questions to ask when auditing for Organizational Leadership and Planning for the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C QMS Document Management Software Recommendations Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 16
R QMS Standard appilications on different Defense Sector Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
O ISO 9001 new certification advice request - Develop a QMS from scratch ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
L Clause 0.4 of ISO 9001 and EHS - Where should I stop the inclusion of EHS in my QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
R ISO 13485 QMS Implementation Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
B We need a QMS: file-based templates or software Other Medical Device Related Standards 23
H QMS Software Recommendation (US based, Hemp) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D How to Identify the Risks and Opportunities required for QMS Processes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
D Benefits of electronic QMS software Software Quality Assurance 5
D Why are pharma companies automating QMS systems? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 2
dgrainger QMS for device "use" in a Health Institution? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
R ISO 13485 and QMS related concepts Training - Small medical device startup company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
R Implementing Design History Documents/ Technical Documents in the QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R Approvals on QMS Documents - ISO 13485 Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T AS9100D - Scope of QMS for New Company - Only Choosing a Function Subset Due to Management AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 14
G QMS requirements for legal manufacturer when outsourcing manufacturing process Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 23
R ISO 13485 QMS sequence of implementation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Is Annual QMS Training Required? ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Dean Bell QMS Content for one-man consultancy Consultants and Consulting 19
C CE marking for general IVD (self-certified) & ISO 13485 QMS requirements - auditing EU Medical Device Regulations 6
I Is this a Major AS9100 QMS change - Quality Concerns AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2