Book for SPC Short Run - Recommendations

S

Stevenli

Folks,

For current manufacturing environment, tradtional SPC approach may not be suitable for many industries, especial for high mix, low volume. So I am studying some more appropriate methods.

So does any buddy can recommend some good books of this topics? I search from Amazon and found some short run SPC book, it looks like a little bit old as it's back to 20 years ago. Not sure whether all contents are updated.

Thanks
Steven:D

P

Popeos

Re: Book for SPC Short Run

Hi Stevenli

Are you sure you need SPC for this process ? It is not the only way to ensure conformance, and if you have a high mix, I might go for 100% inspection, depending on what you check.

SPC is for Process control. If your process parameters are always changing from one part to another, they might be auto-checked. If that is the case, and linked to frequent changes, I don't see how you will be able to do SPC.

(I am not an SPC expert though)

Regards

Popeos

D

Darius

short run SPC book

I have the book wich touches the topic

Innovative Control Charting: Practical SPC Solutions for Today's Manufacturing Environment by Stephen A. Wise and Douglas C. Fair.

Short Run as you said is a new way to do SPC, so not every stats book deal with it.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Folks,

For current manufacturing environment, tradtional SPC approach may not be suitable for many industries, especial for high mix, low volume. So I am studying some more appropriate methods.

So does any buddy can recommend some good books of this topics? I search from Amazon and found some short run SPC book, it looks like a little bit old as it's back to 20 years ago. Not sure whether all contents are updated.

Thanks
Steven:D

Innovative Control Charting: Practical SPC Solutions for Today's Manufacturing Environment by Stephen A. Wise and Douglas C. Fair.

Short Run as you said is a new way to do SPC, so not every stats book deal with it.

"New" perhaps in a relative sense, but methods for short-run SPC have been around for quite a while. The OP has located a book at Amazon and is concerned that it might be out of date, but as far as I know statistical analysis hasn't changed for quite a while. :tg:

There's good information in this thread: How to Effectively Apply Short Run SPC. The book the OP might be referring to is Short Run SPC by Donald Wheeler, published in 1992. I'm not familiar with that book in particular, but it's hard to go wrong with Wheeler

S

Stevenli

Darius,

How about that book just as you memtioned? It's recommended to read?

Thanks

Best Regards
Steven

D

Darius

I recommend it as a good reference book

It has description of the cases where the different kind of SPC apply (which in other books almost ever doesn't exist), and a brief example of each kind of method

It doesn't show the effect of autocorrelation on SPC moving range (XmR with autocorrelation, although not used for chats but the methodology for DS is there, "Advanced Topics in Statistical Process Control" by Donald J. Wheeler - <doesn't touch Short Run>)

or Charts for Nonnormal Distributions (as can be found in Statistical methods for six sigma in R&D and manufacturing by Anand M. Joglekar)

But the methodology you described (HI, LO) is there.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Stevenli

Great with thanks and I will review the book from Amazon.

J

johnnyel

Same here, great reference book.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Short Run SPC is one of those things that may or may not even be feasible - it depends on the process. You can employ charting - you can do that any time - but what decision you make from it can be the problem.

In precision machining, for example - if the run is very short, the entire run will fall into the "warm-up" period, which is a special cause itself. You cannot remove it, and it does not affect every part the same way. You handle the control during that period much differently than you do once the machine is at steady state. For precision machining,the X hi/lo-R chart works well for ensuring the process is making parts to spec, accommodating sampling error, and other issues (which is better than no chart!)- but, you may not get the sawtooth curve during that time due to warm-up not being in a stable state.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Short Run SPC is one of those things that may or may not even be feasible - it depends on the process. You can employ charting - you can do that any time - but what decision you make from it can be the problem.

In precision machining, for example - if the run is very short, the entire run will fall into the "warm-up" period, which is a special cause itself. You cannot remove it, and it does not affect every part the same way. You handle the control during that period much differently than you do once the machine is at steady state. For precision machining,the X hi/lo-R chart works well for ensuring the process is making parts to spec, accommodating sampling error, and other issues (which is better than no chart!)- but, you may not get the sawtooth curve during that time due to warm-up not being in a stable state.

As Jim Wynne already has observed, you can not go wrong with Dr. Donald Wheeler's book on short-run SPC.

Here is a description.

Stijloor

Top Bottom