Bookmarking my security protected IEC 60601-1 .pdf file

Anthony

Registered
Hello,

I find that it would be really convenient if I could bookmark my IEC 60601-1 file (PDF).

Since my PDF is security enabled, Adobe Acrobat does not allow bookmarks to be created for the PDF.

Just wondering how others are handling this?

pziemlewicz

Involved In Discussions
I've not found a good way to do this. My license came with the ability to print one hardcopy, so I have that printed/tabbed in a binder. Okay if you're in the office, but annoying during travel.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Some years ago I got a .pdf standard online. It had the 1 print restriction. The printer jammed and the print failed. I forget where I bought it, but they told me too bad for me. I do remember I found a copy which was unprotected.

From that point, I always ordered a paper copy (or did a print of the .pdf) and scanned the print copy making my own unprotected .pdf which I could markup or whatever.

EDIT ADD: If you have a scanner, test scan some pages to test the .pdf it makes. If I remember correctly the scanner I had way back when made a great .pdf but it wasn't Searchable, so some standards I bought I did an OCR on, cleaned it up, and had a searchable document.

Last edited:

Marc

Leader
Try opening it in Google Chrome and then saving it as a pdf in a different location(folder). Open it in acrobat and add the bookmarks.
New on on me. Have you tried to see if the output is searchable? It has been a while, but that was an important criteria for me back then.

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
Your copy is copyrighted (included the DRM), so if you breaking the security and change it, you are breaking the copyright.

Marc

Leader
My take: Standards makers and sellers are just irritating customers, especially considering the cost of standards. I did think about this thread and its content. And I have never been shy about my personal negative views of copyrights (in legislation mainly pushed by Disney) to a ridiculous level.

I decided to allow this discussion based upon the following: The specific scenario is one where the person is not interested in reselling, sharing or profiting from the document. The only intent, as far as I can see, is for standard sellers to piss people off. It is my opinion that for any of the standards seller(s) to restrict a document in such a way as to hobble it by putting a "security" feature as simple as to block "bookmarking" or otherwise marking up their personal copy of a standard is stupid. It drives people to find ways around such "security" "features" (is bookmarking such a document security related?).

Here at Elsmar.com we do watch for posting of copyrighted documents. And we delete them when we identify one.

And we have discussed copyright issues quite a few times: E.g.: Copyright - Including Copyrighted Material from other Websites or Sources in Posts

We also have a copyright Policy.

:2cents:

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
My take: Standards makers and sellers are just irritating customers, especially considering the cost of standards. I did think about this thread and its content. And I have never been shy about my personal negative views of copyrights (in legislation mainly pushed by Disney) to a ridiculous level.

I decided to allow this discussion based upon the following: The specific scenario is one where the person is not interested in reselling, sharing or profiting from the document. The only intent, as far as I can see, is for standard sellers to piss people off. It is my opinion that for any of the standards seller(s) to restrict a document in such a way as to hobble it by putting a "security" feature as simple as to block "bookmarking" or otherwise marking up their personal copy of a standard is stupid. It drives people to find ways around such "security" "features" (is bookmarking such a document security related?).

Here at Elsmar.com we do watch for posting of copyrighted documents. And we delete them when we identify one.

And we have discussed copyright issues quite a few times: E.g.: Copyright - Including Copyrighted Material from other Websites or Sources in Posts

We also have a copyright Policy.

:2cents:

I don't have a problem with the discussion, I just wanted to make it clear (as I did not know if the OP was aware) that bypassing security is a copyright violation.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
I agree with Marc to an extent. Sometimes it's obvious that that the restriction has nothing to do with copyright and is just a way to push customers towards spending more.

My own example: I purchased the single-user version of an ISO standard. Doing a gap analysis for a client, I wanted to copy single sentences from the standard, and paste them in a Word document (rather than typing them) - the gap analysis report. Then I discovered that the copy function was disabled. I contacted the seller and was informed that this is intentional; however, they told me, if I bought a multi-user version (where one can choose the number of licenses, which can be as low as 2) I wouldn't have this limitation. I can see how copy-pasting may be seen as a copyright breach under specific circumstances (definitely not all and any circumstances), but how is that different when you purchase 2 licenses rather than 1?...

Top Bottom