Bore Gage w/ Setting Ring - What is it used for?

B

Bob_M

Simple question I think, but I don't know who else to ask besides my fellow Covers...

We have a Bore Gage w/ Setting Ring (see attached picture) that is due AGAIN for calibration/verification but has not been used in the last year. (I probably won't send it out unless our tooling department has a use for it). My question is what is this gage used for? My best guess is its a limited range ID micrometer...

Description: Bore Gage w/ Setting Ring
Manufacturer: Bowers / Fowler
Model: 1.74970" Class XX
Serial: NA
Range: 1 1/2" - 2"

Also I personally don't know how to use or adjust this type of gage. Can any one provide info/tips/websites on how to use/adjust/change over this type of gage?

Thanks Bob M

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

Jimmy Olson

In a nutshell, yes, a bore gage is used for inside diamter measurements. The advantage is that a bore gage is typically more accurate then a micrometer.

As far as using and adjusting the gage, it's relatively simple. I have some procedures at home that I will look through and get something for you.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
A bore gage is basically a micrometer for holes -- more accurate typically than calipers. Typically has resolution of +/- .0001". Stick it in the hole, rotate the dial until the 3 fingers contact the walls of the hole, and read the dial like a micrometer. Great for round holes -- just watch out if the hole is eggy. If you might rarely use it you might consider putting a long cal. cycle on it -- like 2 or 3 years. Just watch for rust or impact damage -- otherwise, if it is rarely used, does not get dropped, impacted, or rust, it should hold cal. very well. In fact, I rarely use mine and only have my setting ring calibrated every 2 years and do the cal. of the gage itself on my own against the ring (before each use) and never had either the gage or ring out of cal in over 4 years.

B

Bob_M

Mike S. said:
A bore gage is basically a micrometer for holes -- more accurate typically than calipers. Typically has resolution of +/- .0001". Stick it in the hole, rotate the dial until the 3 fingers contact the walls of the hole, and read the dial like a micrometer. Great for round holes -- just watch out if the hole is eggy. If you might rarely use it you might consider putting a long cal. cycle on it -- like 2 or 3 years. Just watch for rust or impact damage -- otherwise, if it is rarely used, does not get dropped, impacted, or rust, it should hold cal. very well. In fact, I rarely use mine and only have my setting ring calibrated every 2 years and do the cal. of the gage itself on my own against the ring (before each use) and never had either the gage or ring out of cal in over 4 years.
Thanks for the details. We don't use it for production. Our tooling guy MIGHT use it rarely upon return/rebuild of a die, but I don't think so. As you can see in the picture the ring is still sealed.

Do you use the ring to "zero the gage" or is it just included to calibrate it in house? Like a master block for a 1-2" micrometer?

Edit:
We have some VCI bags and Paper (rust inhibotor) that I have started to use to seal some of the unused mics and smaller gages. So at the moment we don't have rusty equipment.
(We use to have 2 guys that had severe amounts of "acid" in their sweat and could rust a gage overnight if it had not been wiped down after use).

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jimmy Olson

Bob_M said:
Do you use the ring to "zero the gage" or is it just included to calibrate it in house? Like a master block for a 1-2" micrometer?
The setting ring is meant to set the refernce point for the bore gage and should be used each time the gage is used. In your case the setting ring would give the gage a reference point of 1.74970 inches and then your measurements would be based on that.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Personally, I use the calibrated ring to calibrate my gage with each use. Never had a problem doing that.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z Calibrating Sunnen PG800 precision bore gage & PG700 setting fixtures General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
drgnrider Bore Gage and Adjustable Set Master General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C Dial Bore Gage Contact Points leaving witness/burnish marks General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
M Improving the Effectiveness of a 100% Control that uses a Bore Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
M How to Properly Calibrate a Bore Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19
S How to calibrate a Bore Indicator? MIL-STD-120 "Gage Inspection"? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
T Looking for holtest/bore gage...help - Range of hole measured 3.6 - 4.0" General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
D What is the best gage equipment to measure an ID bore? Coordinate Measuring Machine? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
R Do Brands Matter When Purchasing Bore Gauge? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
GURU SDI Leak Testing - O-ring installation in the groove of Bore ID Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 4
C Implementing a set of bore gages at a machine Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
D MSA (Measurement System Analysis) on a Bore Measurement - Good or bad result? Six Sigma 9
K True Position Checking such as Bolt Hole Position w.r.t Center Bore on Wheels Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
S Instrument to check Internal Bottled Deep Bore Diameter Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
B Mitutoyo or SPI Bore Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
chris1price ISO 80369 Part 3 Status - Small-Bore Connectors for Liquids and Gases in Healthcare ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
T Deviation of shaft and housing bore diameters? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
S Plug Gauge design to check 115.92?0.127 mm bore Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 26
N Checking Runout on Internal Bore of Main Shaft Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
B Problems with a counter bore & the I.D. hole - .0685mm to .0762mm I.D. hole Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
T Calibrating a Bore Comparator General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Air Gauging: Are the results affected by surface finish of the bore? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
V Chicago Brand Bore Gauges - Cheaper than SUNNEN? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
B Gage calibration frequency, ISO and IATF - What are the requirements Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
R Determining Uncertainty from Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
C Correct Calibration Method for Dial Depth Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
C Gage Block Wringing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Gage R&R with NDC=1 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
S Type 1 Gage R&R or something else? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
G Should I perform Gage R&R only at the beginning of a new project? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
V Thread Plug Gage Pitch GO Diameter out of spec AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
G Gage R&R - Where am I going wrong? Part of a FAIR submission (Aerospace) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R Gage R&R Excel templates Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
K Gage R&R with more than 3 appraisers Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Anerol C Gage R&R Template AIAG 4th Edition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T Attributes SPC study - Attributive control (Go gage) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 15
N % Tolerance - Type 1 study on the gages, then a gage R&R (ANOVA) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Definitive answer on Type 1 vs Type 2 vs Type 3 Gage Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
V Gage Management and Gage R&R Software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
D Gage R&R Study on Load Cells - Large chemical blending tanks IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B Minitab Type 1 Gage Study on True Position Question Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
S Gage R&R on alloy Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
8 Need Help - Runout - Function Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
L Gage R&R studies for identical Devices - Need to confirm the requirement to perform them Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
G Stab Pin Size For Check Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
E Functional Gage for TOP applied at RFS Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
F No reproducibility Error in Gage R&R? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
M Template for Attribute Gage R & R wanted Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
G Warning about Deltronic Gage Pins - The "Certification of Accuracy" document General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13