Boss perceives quality is not the front burner topic - How to keep it going?

S

Sooner

Our org. has been ISO9000 registered for about a year..the boss perceives quality is not the front burner topic among line supervisors that it was during the registration process..his question: How do other companies sustain the involvement of first and mid-level managers???..any suggestions out there??

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
Thumbscrews may be appropriate for some.

Seriously, your internal audits and the observance of non-conformaties coupled with preventive and corrective actions should be motivators.

Also if top management utilizes the information gained from your internal audit program and ties it in with the good old periodic performance review of the 1st and mid-level management some continued interest may take hold.

If the continuation of the "profit side" of the business is at stake then the stockholders will be the ones to generate interest amongst the top level management to keep conformance on the front burner.

Just a guess on my part...then again the "Rack" may work also...

[This message has been edited by Randy (edited 25 July 2000).]

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Never was one for cattle prods and thumbscrews...except in the...oh...right....this is a family-style forum...okay... :eek:

We recently noticed a decline in our product quality. Nothing significant, but enough to start raising the alarm bells in both Quality departments (QA and QC) and with senior managment.

Pow-wow was called and the chiefs started tossing out ideas as to what the cause was.

I asked if anyone had looked at the nonconformities detected inhouse and by the Customer and looked for trends. Apparently not and, you know that old saying, "She who asks the questions, gets the job."

So...*insert Mighty Mouse theme song here* and "Here she comes to save the day!"....trends noticed...spikes in the system. Repetition with complaints, nonconformities and root causes. The resolutions to which just addressed the surface wound and did nothing to fix the internal bleeding.

We called in those people who were involved in the occurrence of the nonconformances and showed them the $$$. What it cost to make the product, what it cost to mess it up, what it cost to appease the Customer and what it cost for us to figure out all of these costs.

We asked for reasons why the problems happened in the opinions of those involved. We asked for their solutions. In essence, we got the people involved!!!

They care about their jobs and don't wish to be seen as mindless autonomons. They have pride! They have self-worth! They have opinions! All management had to do was listen and realize that some of these ideas were not only good, but practical, too.

This anecdote factors in the first 3 of the 8 Quality Management Princples.

C - Customer focus - We realized product quality was going the wrong and made a commitment to fixing it.

L - Leadership - Making the commitment to address the problem so that we can continue to move forward.

I - Involvement of people - When the people are involved, they take more pride in their work. They are less likely to let things 'slip through the cracks'.

FYI, we're back on the right track again! :D

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
RCBeyette said:
Never was one for cattle prods and thumbscrews...except in the...oh...right....this is a family-style forum...okay...
Roxane has done a good job of making my point that the change in the culture is more important than the changes in the process. Often organizations have processes "on the books" which just aren't being followed by the "troops" because the troops don't perceive a "top down" dedication to the processes.

I'd be willing to bet this week's ration of margaritas that many of you have stories about bosses who OK projects, then disappear except when it comes time to criticize because the project seems to have bogged down.

In my opinion, there is still a lot of value in "management by walking around." When the troops see the top bosses are involved and connected, it goes a long way toward cementing and solidifying the good attitudes necessary to maintain a good process flow.

Q

qualitygoddess - 2010

Sooner said:
Our org. has been ISO9000 registered for about a year..the boss perceives quality is not the front burner topic among line supervisors that it was during the registration process..his question: How do other companies sustain the involvement of first and mid-level managers???..any suggestions out there??
The first year goes quickly when registered! My suggestion for keeping it going runs along the same lines as Randy and Wes. Use the QMS to keep it going. Take a good look at the metrics. Are they the right ones? What should they be to keep "quality" on the front burner? Setting objectives with "stretch" targets at lower layers in the organization may help.

Using a measure like cost of quality (COQ) might help all people in the organization see the dollars associated with quality. Maybe you only spend 1% on preventive actions, and 99% on corrective actions. Since your company will reap more benefit from those actions that are preventive in nature, perhaps the management team can devote resources to preventing problems before they can occur. This brings the the whole QMS to a new level!

Final thought -- don't let quality off that front burner. After 7 years as Q manager at a local small business, I left 2 years ago to pursue other professional interests. The company, in their infinite wisdom, pulled the rug out from under my replacement. He lost resources and the focus of management on quality. They thought since things were going so well related to quality, that resources could be shifted, and nothing would happen. This company is now really struggling, and has lost significant business due to product quality and delivery issues. Metrics! Goals! :whip:

J
Not wanting to sound flippant, but quality should not be the topic. It should be the underlying principles and tools used to advance the other "front burner" topics.

By this I mean that last year, during the registration process it really wasn't "quality" but rather "registration" that was the topic or goal. So the question should be what is the goal for this year:
Process improvement?
Cycle time?
Reject reduction?
etc.
etc.
etc.

Once the goals are determined then "Quality" system helps them to define, measure, document improvements.

It is up to the managment to determine what the goals are.

James

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
James...are you talking about process stabilization?!?! ;) Whatever in the world does that have to do with quality?!?! :notme: (hmmmm...apparently I have no qualms about sounding flippant).

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
One major hurdle is translating some of QA's gobbledygook into language that Management can relate to and take an interest in. It helps to have ways to show how efforts to improve are done, not just say "reduce defects" and so on.

Raising awareness of value can help in such a competetive business climate. Quality cost calculators can help with decision making, but I agree Management gets to set goals. Offering real life examples of recognizable goals being achieved through QA could help win over that one needed influential person.

To help understand quality's potential one could look at examples like those offered through the Baldrige Award process. Texas Nameplate Company used the process twice, to move the company "to the next level."

http://www.quality.nist.gov/Texas_Nameplate_98.htm

http://www.nist.gov/public_affairs/Texas_Nameplate_PDF_final.pdf

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bev D Happy (Male) Boss's Day Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
Skooma Receiving Inspection - Boss trying to save money AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
S Boss wants customer delivery signature specimen form Customer and Company Specific Requirements 16
Marc FCC boss says he'll SHAME broadband firms for fibbing on speeds After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
J My boss wants me to investigate Mini Tab 15 or 16 - Help! The Reading Room 7
N Boss is too hard on me.... Career and Occupation Discussions 48
B How do I communicate my frustations with my boss ? Career and Occupation Discussions 7
B How do I tell my boss to write neatly without offending her? Career and Occupation Discussions 8
P Boss doesn't want Nonconformances called Nonconformances in Internal Audit Reports ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 72
S Boss wants Quality Procedure for ISO 9001 Clause 8.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
Chennaiite Punishing your BOSS Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
R Looking into the eyes of your company's president, CEO, or boss Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 16
Marc Is Your Boss a Bully? He May Be Incompetent Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
G Boss' Alarm Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
Chennaiite A Boss is a Boss? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
Sean Kelley Lessons learned? Asked by my boss to compile a list of lessons learned Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 33
M How do I tell my boss I'm not qualified to do Internal Audits? Internal Auditing 32
Stijloor Chrysler's Campi (new purchasing boss) will move fast to buy global. World News 11
Stijloor What Your Boss Says and What He Really Means Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
S How to ask Leave from your Boss !! Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 2
D A suggestion to my boss - What do you think and how will he react? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 46
E My boss wants me to issue a CAR to myself, though I don't feel I am at fault Nonconformance and Corrective Action 27
M Summarise CSR? Boss asked me to design a template to summary the csr IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
T How do I Audit Management Review? Do I audit my boss? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 30
F My boss wants a mix of Procedure and Form - Forklift and Manlift Equipment Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
M APQP Case Study? Boss wants to give a workshop on APQP APQP and PPAP 7
GStough What would you do? Former boss needs help General Auditing Discussions 39
W How to show the value of quality department to highest boss ? Career and Occupation Discussions 8
Claes Gefvenberg Unlucky boss... Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 7
J A2LA here, my boss wants to open China office now General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
P My boss asked me to make a Quality Plan ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Folks take your time & rate your boss - A link to a 'test' on another site Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
M Integration and test - how to convince boss to change approach Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
P CQT Exam: Info needed - Boss says he'll increase my pay and promotion if I pass Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
C My boss has asked me to improve our recall system - Seeking Ideas General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
T How To Tell My Boss I Have Too Much To Do? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
D QMS (Quality Management System) Manual - The Boss Wants a 4 Page Manual - What to Do? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 455
K Looking for a job as Quality Engineer Career and Occupation Discussions 2
B Two excellent examples of process capability analysis from Quality Magazine Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
Pau Calvo Quality Management process is mandatory in ISO9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
NDesouza No Quality Professional vs Having a Quality Professional Benchmarking 24
F Does anyone have an ESD quality/cooler talk to share? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
R Monitor production quality - Internal KPIs Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
U Examples of Quality Objectives for a Medtech start up ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M SemaTech SSQA Standardized Supplier Quality Assessment - my favorite tool ever Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Supplier Quality level category help - high level ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
A Quality engineering positions in US - question Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
R How would you work without a quality management system? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
P Conformity assessment based on a quality management system or production quality assurance EU Medical Device Regulations 3
H Updating Quality Manual to API Q1 Service Industry Specific Topics 4