Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Boss wants Quality Procedure for ISO 9001 Clause 8.1

S

shaggy1812 - 2011

I've been thru registration audits, surveylance audits, and re-reg audits and have never been questioned on this. Now, my new boss is conducting an internal audit and found that we do not have a QP for clause 8.1. I told him it is covered elsewhere in the standard. After a brief argument, I have to write one. sheesh.

Is it really necessary?

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
For context:

8 Measurement, analysis and improvement
8.1 General
The organization shall plan and implement the monitoring, measurement, analysis and improvement processes needed
a) to demonstrate conformity of the product,
b) to ensure conformity of the quality management system, and
c) to continually improve the effectiveness of the quality management system.
This shall include determination of applicable methods, including statistical techniques, and the extent of their use.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
I've been thru registration audits, surveillance audits, and re-reg audits and have never been questioned on this. Now, my new boss is conducting an internal audit and found that we do not have a QP for clause 8.1. I told him it is covered elsewhere in the standard. After a brief argument, I have to write one. sheesh.

Is it really necessary?
No! Your Boss lives in an era where folks believed that you had to write a procedure for each clause. Not required, unless you want to.

Tell you Boss to visit The Cove Forums for much needed education and enlightenment. :D

We're ready for Him/Her.

And you? Think about your job. Pick your battles cautiously...;)

Stijloor.

S

shaggy1812 - 2011

I already have 9 toes out the door. We're preparing for an audit in a month.

ps: I've told him repeatedly about the Cove.

F

Falco

Necessary? maybe not by the standard but if my boss asked for it, it just became necessary. Might be nice to have a boss that took enough interest in the QMS to actually conduct an internal audit and then care enough to ask for a procedure. Management commitment? More info needed to draw a better conclusion. Just my two cents.

I've been thru registration audits, surveylance audits, and re-reg audits and have never been questioned on this. Now, my new boss is conducting an internal audit and found that we do not have a QP for clause 8.1. I told him it is covered elsewhere in the standard. After a brief argument, I have to write one. sheesh.

Is it really necessary?
No, but it shouldn't be too difficult to use it to 'point' to others, like the internal audit process/procedure and also to quality planning (product realization planning etc)

I encountered the same situation with a CB auditor, after the change to the 94 version of ISO 9001. He demanded a procedure to meet 4.2! Even argued with the President of Excel Partnership (only the best ISO training company at the time)! So, guess what? We wrote one...totally useless, but the auditor never came back and eventually it was removed from the system, quietly, in the dead of night and no-one ever asked about it again.....(I hate myself for admitting that too!):lmao:

T

T. Grinton

Is it really necessary?
If the procedure addresses the planning and implementation, it shouldn't be that difficult. How do you do it? What do you do? Who does it? What is being monitored/measured? How often? What do you generate from that? Who gets copies? How do you use the data for improvement?

Seems pretty straightforward to me. I'd be happy that your boss is taking some interest in the standard, even if he may be a little misguided.

Randy

Super Moderator
The procedure for 8.1 can be found in the procedures for everything between it and 8.5.3.

8.1 Procedure

Do everything required between this point and the end of 8.5.3

Top Bottom