Bottom Line Benefits of Management Standards

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions
I can see and know how ISO 9001 can save money by reducing defective parts and waste. I was just wondering about some of the other management standards such as OHSAS18001, ISO14001, etc.

If you are a low environmental impact manufacturer who needs no permits to operate (environmental permits) then what is the real benefit of 14k? Surely it is good business practise to reduce heat, light and power costs. So if you are doing this already then what is the actual bottom line cost benefit of a certification of meeting a management standard going to be?

Similarly for the OHSAS standard. You don't want lost man hours or to be sued due to an accident so it is in the business interests to prevent the chances of this. So if it is done anyway does it make the company any better to get the system paperwork done and certified to the standard? Bottom line, will it add to the profitability?

I work in a company in the auti sector so we are 9001, you have to be as a minimum these days. That has helped us become more efficient, competitive and earnt us more business due to the systems being documented, certified, etc. I'd personally like to get stuck into EMS and OHSMS for my own benefit of having learnt those standards. I just can't see our company (SME) ever justifying the expenditure to gain those standards. I just can't see how it will save us enough money to become worthwhile. Now if OEMS decided tier2 or 3 suppliers needed 14k or 18k then we'd have to just like we might have to get TS standard. Just can't see it happening.

Any views?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Re: Bottom line benefits of management standards?

If it is a business driven decision, then the benefit is the continued business itself.
If it is voluntary, then the bottom line benefit is systematic and continually improved approach to the focus aspect of the management standard. They pay off in the long run.
Your other benefit is being on the better side for a new business, where big names seek to have suppliers certified to these management standards.

Last edited:

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Re: Bottom line benefits of management standards?

I can see and know how ISO 9001 can save money by reducing defective parts and waste. I was just wondering about some of the other management standards such as OHSAS18001, ISO14001, etc. <snip>
I think you've hit the nail on the head - your personal desire has nothing you can offer to provide value to the company to seek these registrations.

Ultimately, paying for ANY registration to an International Standard has to have a business advantage for an organization to justify making the expenditure.

Sometimes the "business benefit" is based in public relations (being a good neighbor proved by registration to environmental Standards may make it easier [translate cheaper in terms of attorney fees, etc.] in getting governmental approval for expansion of facilities. That same good neighbor aura may be a deciding factor for a prospective customer who wants to mitigate risk of opposition to ongoing operations of a supplier or to help burnish its own aura of "good guy" to appeal to its own customer base.

The bottom line:

Smart business owners and managers ALWAYS consider WIIFM and WIIFU [What's In It For Me/Us] as part of their business strategy.

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Bottom line benefits of Management Standards?

That's exactly what I was thinking Wes. We are low impact environmentally and we have only the usual small cuts and scrapes any manufacturer would have. Our owners are proactive (even down to actually working on the shopfloor or on a forklift). They are trained in all the equipment on site and take pride in being involved. As a result we have a basically well run operation that always looks to improve. They make the big spend improvements on new equipment but in between they are always looking at the details to make smaller, incremental improvements.

Anyway, with all that it is straight down to bottom line. They will always look at the figures before deciding. As such OHSAS and 14k are not even on the agenda. 14k is the only one of these two that would even figure with our customers as a potential benefit and even that is not worth much to the company. Getting TS 16949 would potentially be a benefit but the cost at the moment is limiting I think. Cost /benefit has not been proven but we may well end up getting it if not having it loses customers and business.

Anyway, I guess you really need to be in the right company (usually a bigger one or one with more use of chemicals deleterious to the environment) to get involved with OHSAS and 14k. Shame as it would be another feather to my cap so to speak.

one quick question. Is OHSAS truly an international standard? I know it widely taken up round the world but it is still only adopted by BSI. IIRC it is down to the US and their ANZI Z10 (??) that prevented it becoming adopted by ISO to become a true international standard. correct me if I'm wrong.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

<snip> One quick question. Is OHSAS truly an international standard? I know it widely taken up round the world but it is still only adopted by BSI. IIRC it is down to the US and their ANZI Z10 (??) that prevented it becoming adopted by ISO to become a true international standard. correct me if I'm wrong.
Our Member "Weak Licks" states it very well in this post.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin

In my view the only direct benefit of [registering to] the management standard is customer requirement.

For the rest, the benefit is in the activities. Even with no reportable waste, there are costs associated with waste. I am currently with a client that found someone to buy their waste product as a raw material for other, less controlled goods. So not only is that immense quantity if solid not going into the landfill, the waste generator gets $$$.

These days there is a heightened attention to "going green" with some people actually using environmental stewardship as a part of the buying decision. But that is harder to measure than the above two examples.

V

vanputten

I think the most important general benefit is the word you left out of the title of the thread - system.

I can see and know how ISO 9001 can save money by reducing defective parts and waste. I was just wondering about some of the other management standards such as OHSAS18001, ISO14001, etc?
I tend to look at it in this way:
  • If you have quality related problems, they are likely to affect Environment and H&S.
  • If you have Environmentally related problems they are likely to affect Quality and H&S.
  • If you have H&S related problems they are likely to affect Quality and environment.
Maybe I am oversimplifying things, but they are all interrelated, all of them to a varying degree being part of the reality any company has to deal with.

/Claes

harry

Trusted Information Resource

Much like the Hierarchy of Needs and its application to individuals, beyond 'profit', responsible and forward looking organizations look at social responsibility and 'sustainability'. EH&S standards, ISO 50001 and ISO 26000 are some standards that provide readily available guidelines and framework for these organizations to pursue their goals. The objective is not to enhance bottom line but more to 'sustain' the business.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

Much like the Hierarchy of Needs and its application to individuals, beyond 'profit', responsible and forward looking organizations look at social responsibility and 'sustainability'. EH&S standards, ISO 50001 and ISO 26000 are some standards that provide readily available guidelines and framework for these organizations to pursue their goals. The objective is not to enhance bottom line but more to 'sustain' the business.
This is so true, Harry, BUT ---
the Standards may be adopted as a guide for the business, but I, for one, have NEVER bought the concept that it is necessary for a disciplined and well-organized management team to expend the extra money to pay a third party for registration UNLESS there was a clear business requirement for registration versus compliance.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Excel Linearity Chart - drawing 95% CI line & set X-axis at the bottom Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
A Value of 9001 Implementation - How it affects the bottom line ($$$) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 50
Wes Bucey Definition Quality - Executives Believe Quality Contributes To Bottom Line - Definitions Vary Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 24
OpExPro The note at the bottom of DFMEA occurrence tables in AIAG VDA FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 0
R Bottom up approach versus system level ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
D Doing both a top-down and a bottom-up risk assessment - How to combine ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 30
M Bottom-Up Methodology to Track Root Cause? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 4
B How to measure parallelism btw top surface and bottom surface? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 14
S Countersink Tools - Burrs on the bottom and at the top of the holes Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Wes Bucey Neutron Jack [Welch] - Slash the bottom 10% of personnel Career and Occupation Discussions 24
apestate CMM Star Probe Numbering - Bottom, Back, Left, Front, Right vs. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
Anerol C On line training for REACH, RoHS, Halogen RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
S How many tester quantity we need on the line based on the cycle time and peak volume Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
S Line arrangement Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
A Production line for medical devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
B Acquired Medical Device Product Line - Documentation Requirements for Device Master Record ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
T Training Records - assembly line staff ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20
F [Line Balancing] Line Efficiency in Fan Manufacturing Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 0
B 3-phase supply, overvoltage catogory, line-to-neutral and working voltage (IEC 61010-1) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
G Risk of stopping your customer's line IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
C Where to draw the line for "sufficient evidence" to verify safety/performance of a device? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
G Bad Parts cause Customer line stop IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
G Dealing with non conformity caused by Supplier Components detected in the production line IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
F Internal transfer of work from one line to another? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
A What does this line from MDCG 2020-3 (MDR art. 120 substantial change) mean to you? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
G Engineering retest in line - Machine stability issues IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
T ISO 13485 8.3 - Non-Conforming Materials - on-line rework or part of process? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
H Line Balancing in Backpack Manufacturing Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
C Contract Review with Multiple Line items ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
J Production Line Test Brasil - High Voltage Dielectric Strenght Test Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
R Revalidation machine line and Stability Studies impact. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
G Does pitch/increment/resolution of a ruled scale apply to measurement uncertainty as line item? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 10
Q Clean Line Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
P Line accums as a non-conformance? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
Marc Quiz - Where did the idea of an assembly line come from? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
Edward Reesor Design owner: The line between inventor and manufacturing facility Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
G Uncertainty of staging a short line scale standard on longer measuring machine? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
E What is the general time line to prepare for IATF Letter of Conformance? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M Establishing a FTQ (First Time Quality) process for an engine assembly line Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
P Production Line Pump Cleaning Validation Method Question Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
I SMD line PQ Validation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
P Controlled Setup Sheets for a production line Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T Production line requirements for IATF 16949 - Need to have dedicated lines? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
K IATF 16949 Line and Dock Auditor Competency Requirements Internal Auditing 4
N Gantt Chart / Time Tracker in Excel - Combining Tasks on the Same Line Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
gard2372 Line or Process Stoppage - Andon Authorities and Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M Lean Time Line (History and Theory) Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
R The on-line re-certification option on ASQ's website Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
M Anyone know of an on-Line Bachelor's degree that work with Quality Career and Occupation Discussions 3
J Medical Device Failure Effects - Where to draw the line? FMEA and Control Plans 8