SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Brand owner or manufacturer responsible for Basic UDI-DI and UDI-DI?

Hi,
I find different info online about who is responsible to assign the Basic UDI-DI and UDI-DI. I sometimes see the brandowner and I sometimes see the manufacturer. What is correct? Because I am currently on this position: our company in Belgium holds the brandname, but we let it manufacture in France under our legal entity in France. So the entity in Belgium holds the brandname. The entity in France is mentioned on the label as manufacturer en our entity in Belgium is mentioned on the label as distributor. So which GS1 company prefix do I have to use for making the basic UDI-DI and UDI_DI codes? The one from the Belgium entity (brandowner) or the one from France (manufacturer)?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

paris

Registered
There are difference between BASIC UDI-DI and UDI-DI:
Basic UDI-DI is a number for device group such as GMDN or UMDN codes.
but UDI-DI is a number for your product model and it can be GTIN code, which means manufacturer shall provide and assign it.

Cybel

Involved In Discussions
According to MDR art. 29, the manufacturer is responsible to assign the basic UDI-DI to its medical devices.

There are difference between BASIC UDI-DI and UDI-DI:
Basic UDI-DI is a number for device group such as GMDN or UMDN codes.
Basic UDI-DI is a number assigned by the manufacturer to one of its specific device group (while GMDN or UMDN are generic: the same GMDN number is used by more manufacturers to identify the same product category to which their product belongs).
Basic UDI-DI appears on relevant documents such as Technical Documentation, CE certificates, DoC, FSC and in Eudamed: these documents are under responsibility of the manufacturer (unless the article 16 of MDR applies)

but UDI-DI is a number for your product model and it can be GTIN code, which means manufacturer shall provide and assign it.
The UDI-DI is assigned for each device and shall be associated with one basic UDI-DI, and it is based on the GTIN code (it may use the GS1 company prefix but it is not the GTIN code).

(Attention: there is some difference with systems or procedure packs).

According to MDR art. 29, the manufacturer is responsible to assign the basic UDI-DI to its medical devices.

Basic UDI-DI is a number assigned by the manufacturer to one of its specific device group (while GMDN or UMDN are generic: the same GMDN number is used by more manufacturers to identify the same product category to which their product belongs).
Basic UDI-DI appears on relevant documents such as Technical Documentation, CE certificates, DoC, FSC and in Eudamed: these documents are under responsibility of the manufacturer (unless the article 16 of MDR applies)

The UDI-DI is assigned for each device and shall be associated with one basic UDI-DI, and it is based on the GTIN code (it may use the GS1 company prefix but it is not the GTIN code).

(Attention: there is some difference with systems or procedure packs).
thank you for your explanation, I mean it exactly.

duinyk

Involved In Discussions
Hello, is the device module for product upload available in EUDAMED already? They had a date for May 2021 but I cant find anything in there. Just the actor module seems active.

Thanks

koulidis

Starting to get Involved
Hello, is the device module for product upload available in EUDAMED already? They had a date for May 2021 but I cant find anything in there. Just the actor module seems active.

Thanks
It is not ready yet. It has been announced that it will be ready at Q4

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S CE marking for OEM Brand CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 11
P New Global HQ Suggestions for Virtual manufacturing/own brand labelling of medical devices? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
P Best Global Option to become an OBL/PLM/Virtual medical device brand in 2020 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
C Brazil - Product Code (and brand) Change Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
I Incoming insepction needs repair - sell as "new", "brand new", or something else Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
Sidney Vianna ISO 9001 News Tirelessly Improving the Brand Integrity of ISO 9001 - Working Group under ISO TC 176 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 42
E Original Brand Labeler (OBL) in China China Medical Device Regulations 2
N Own brand labelling/virtual manufacture of IVD's EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N How to obtain Own Brand Label (OBL) CE Marking? EU Medical Device Regulations 18
M Technology and testing transfer to a new brand - Technical files EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J Manufacturer Name on Private Brand Labeling Other US Medical Device Regulations 12
S OBL (Own Brand Labeling) - Full Quality to Production Quality EU Medical Device Regulations 5
A How to improve your brand awareness and revenues Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
C Looking for Casting Wax Brand for PPAP Vibration test Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
B Own Brand Labelling and Distributors - Self Test IVD's EU Medical Device Regulations 3
L ISO 13485 and OBL (Own Brand Label) Agreement EU Medical Device Regulations 20
P OBL (Own Brand Labelling) - Technical Files/Risk Management ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
P OBL (Own Brand Label) - Annex III ? EC Type Examination EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A EC Certification Process and Time Frame for Own Brand Labeling Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R Brand New Warehouse - FMEA example wanted FMEA and Control Plans 9
A We do not design anything brand new from scratch - Design Exclusion? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
N What brand of scales do you use in pharma? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 6
V Own Brand Labeling Agreement/Contract Review ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
K Process List for Advertising, Promotion & Brand Mgt Department of a Telecom Company Service Industry Specific Topics 2
J Own Brand Labeling NB (Notified Body) requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Recommendations for Own Brand Labeling Notified Bodies for Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 6
R The best brand of Electronic Height Gage Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 5
S Piggybacking on OEM to become OBL (Own Brand Label) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
C Own Brand and Trademark Labeling Question EU Medical Device Regulations 10
P Further Own Brand Label questions - Urgent ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D When is a device "Own Brand Labelled"? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 17
P Own Brand Labeling Issues ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
C Own Brand Labellers Manufacturer's Products (Class I and IIa) and Risk Assessments EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Quality and Reference - Recommending a product or service or company or brand Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 5
V Brand Names of Measurement Tools - Recommendations and Reviews General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
S Brand Name or Legal Entity name - Which name can I use on Quality Documentation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
smryan Analytical Scale - Seeking brand and buying advice General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
A Top Brand Flat Screen LCD & Plasma TVs - California Ban After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
R Technical File - Own Brand Labeling (OBL) Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 13
D Mio brand GPS navigation Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
G Seaward brand portable appliance tester (PAT) Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
K Rockwell Hardness Testers ? Brand Recommendation Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
Sidney Vianna Managing risks - destroy your products to protect your brand. World News 1
somashekar Own Brand Labelling (OBL) Agreement ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Stijloor What brand and type of digital camera would you buy? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 28
Crusader When Should I Implement ISO 9001 in a Brand New Facility? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 53
Marc Volkswagen to cut up to 20,000 workers at VW brand World News 1
J 40% failures of brand new equipment - Equipment runoff Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
V Chicago Brand Bore Gauges - Cheaper than SUNNEN? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
J US Device Listing when not the 510(k) owner Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2