BRC (British Retail Consortium) - Calibration vs. Verification

glade

Starting to get Involved
BRC Global Standard for Packaging & Packaging Materials doesn't mention verification of gauges... it only refers to calibration.

ISO9001 mentions calibration OR verification.

Therefore, for BRC, do I have to get gauges formally calibrated by a 3rd party, or is it is OK for me to get gauge blocks and weights calibrated to a national standard, and use them to verify the equipment that we have on site.

How rigorous shoudl the verification procedures be??

Relevant clauses:

BRC 5.6.1 ?measuring equipment blah blah ?shall be identified and calibrated?

BRC 5.6.2 Where possible, calibration shall be traceable to a recognised national standard. Where a traceable calibration is not possible, the company shall demonstrate the basis by which standardisation is carried out.

ISO9001:2008

7.6.a
??measuring equipment shall: be calibrated or verified? against measurement standards traceable to international or national measurement standards.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

glade

Starting to get Involved
Thank-you! I sent an email to my BRC registrar and had a reply...

Hi XXX
I have a question about Calibration in the BRC Packaging Standard.
5.6 only mentions that measuring equipment shall be calibrated, where ISO9001:2008 7.6 says that it can be calibrated or verified.
I would like to get a set of gauge blocks and weights calibrated traceable to a national standard, and use them to verify the equipment that we have on site (using a documented method).
Is this an acceptable method for our BRC registration?

I had two replies from people in their organisation:
What you suggest is reasonable ? primary standards held in an ambient room away from wear and tear of normal use and supported by calibration certificates back to national standards.
Then using them to complete internal calibration of working kit, but maintaining the traceability back to national standards.
However, be aware there may be items you do not have the kit to calibrate in house. A calibrated 1m rule cannot be used to calibrate in house 1 m rules - as too large an error in calibration procedure, normally a factor 10 is required on the primary, so we would look for optical calibrator like show graph or digital vernier as more accurate primary reference source.
This is normally acceptable to BRC IoP and ISO 9001 : 2008

and

It is a requirement of the Standard that equipment critical to safety, legality, specifications and used to monitor CCP shall be calibrated.

It also asks that where possible, it should be traceable to a National Standard.

It is a common practice to have one set of calibrated items (to National Standard), and then use them to calibrate internally, and accepted, if a documented procedure is followed, which clearly defines tolerances of deviation etc.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A BRC (British Retail Consortium) Global Standard For Packaging Material Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
D BRC (British Retail Consortium)/EFSIS food standards Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 9
J BRC Packaging and Packaging Materials Standard Training Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
G Writing up BRC audit non-conformance Internal Auditing 9
K Is there a requirement for Management Review Meeting under BRC? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
K Why folks prefer ISO 22000 instead of BRC or SQF? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 9
S OPRP in ISO 22000 vs. CP in BRC - Food Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 6
D Should I have a new policy for implementing BRC Food Safety Management System? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 12
tsmith7858 BRC Audit Finding: Withdrawal/Recall policy - Advice? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 10
M A rival of BRC? EFSIS Standard - English European Food Safety Inspection Service Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
Ajit Basrur The British Pharmacopoeia celebrates its 150th birthday ! Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
Ajit Basrur 20 British Words That Mean Something Totally Different in the U.S. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 38
Ajit Basrur Andy Murray wins Wimbledon, ends 77-year British drought! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 8
AnaMariaVR2 FDA writes up Warning Letter to British Homeopathic Drugmaker US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
A British Documentation System? Warranty of 100 year old Bridge Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
G How to properly check British Standard threads? 3-wire method and a supermic General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 39
Marc British PC Tax to Replace TV License? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
C Training on calibration of threads - Unified, ACME, Butress, British, etc. Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
W BASEC (British Approvals Service for Cables) approvals - "BASEC specification BA2250" Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
Marc British government loans MG Rover US$12.2 million - Brother, can you spare a dime? World News 1
Sidney Vianna The Brits keep coming - John Seddon gets more ink in the British media Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 24
M An example of 'Management by Numbers' from the British NHS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S English (British) Management Style Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 24
M Quality not Important for British Companies Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
J BASEEFA - British Approvals Service for Electrical Equipment in Flamable Atmospheres Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
M Internal Audit Plan in Retail Internal Auditing 10
W ISO 9001 Clause 7.4.2 Purchasing Information for Retail Products ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Marc Retail stores plan elaborate ways to track you After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
P Deviating from AQL in a small Retail Apparel Company AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
Marc Facebook Profiles Now cross-referenced with retail purchases! After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
C Class I Medical Devices - Country of Origin Marking on Retail Packaging (Labeling) Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
N 100% Inspection in Retail Warehouse which Ships Products to Customers Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
Q How can Six Sigma be implemented in Retail Distributors (Logistics and Supply Chain) Six Sigma 4
B Our suppliers are retail shops - How to evaluate OTS (Off the Shelf) suppliers? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B Six Sigma in Retail Industry - Thesis material needed Six Sigma 3
C What to look for when inspecting incoming packaging goods such as empty retail boxes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
T How do I bring a Class II MD to Canadian retail shelves? Canada Medical Device Regulations 21
Marc Tesla Motors has opened their first retail store World News 0
P What influence have Juran Deming & Crosby had on the retail sector Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 1
M ISO 9001 Implementation Help - Marine retail ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Marc Outsourcing Internal Audits - 60 Retail Stores - Effectiveness vs. Compliance Internal Auditing 6