Breaking the inertia.....

First, congratulations and thanks to Marc for starting this section. It is indeed a great opportunity to express oneself on subjects which may not normally fall within the various threads of Forums. There is always some inertia for writing...this gives an opportunity to break that inertia.

I have just started reading (or studying ?) Bjorn Lomborg's "Skeptical Environmentalist" (even though I am late, it is better to read it at least now) and have come to the understanding that the book is about "busting exaggeration". Exaggeration is not new to me; I have lived with this in the corporate world for long...everything was required yesterday...urgent...very very urgent...etc. Prof. Lomborg convincingly brings out various exaggerated myths propagated by environmentalists (especially WRI, World Watch, WWF etc.) for highlighting the urgency for taking appropriate global environmental corrective / preventive actions. My impression is that Prof. Lomborg is not a skeptical environmentalist, but a realistic environmentalist....I have planned to read (again study?) his next book "Cool it" - on global warming next week.

By the way, we are planning, on behalf of INDSEARCH, where I am an Adjunct Professor, a week long Public Lecture Series on "Poverty Alleviation and Bottom of the Pyramid Models" between 18 and 23 August, 2008, at Pune. If anyone of you is around Pune, India, during that time and would like to contribute to the discussion, I would be happy to welcome you to INDSEARCH, Pune.

Have a nice day....

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Don't hesitate to put events such as you listed on the forum Calendar. You never know who will see it.

I'm happy to see you might take some time now and again to blog here. I'm not sure how much interest there is, but even if a few people use the blog aspect of the software, it's worth it.

Let us know your thoughts on Bjorn Lomborg's "Skeptical Environmentalist" after you're done reading it.

The Skeptical Environmentalist by Bjørn Lomborg? I would like to hear your opinion on it when you are done. He was accused of scientific dishonesty after the publication.

/Claes :read:

Top Bottom