BSI White Paper on Human Factors/Usability Engineering

L

Lerotronic

Beginning this year BSI had issued a white paper titled "The growing role of human factors and usability engineering for medical devices".
It provides a small overview of HF/UE for the medical devices industry, current regulatory standpoint regarding this topic and concerns the industry has with it.
The piece could be found by googling the title (I am unable to post the link :( ).

What are your thoughts on this document and what implications do you think it will have?

Cheers!
Milo?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Milos, thanks for the tip.

Here's the link: http://www.bsigroup.com/LocalFiles/...usability engineering for medical devices.pdf

(It DOES require registration to get access.)

I think the title is pretty accurate, the *growing* role of HF and usability engineering. I attended a RAPS-sponsored seminar from UL a few weeks ago on the same topic. There is an evaluation of a system's usability as part of 60601 (-1-6) so I think this will be an area more closely scrutinized as we move forward.

I think there are at least 2 factors driving this. First is the sheer amount of devices being deployed. I saw a picture of an OR where there must have been 50 devices dedicated to a patient. Imagine the confusion if several alarms go off at once or if similar devices use slightly different conventions.

The other is the trend towards home health care. Many devices are now going home with patients. Even implantables are having more and more use interface in the home. This moves usability out of the clinicians hands and into a vastly diverse population.

My takeaway from the UL presentation I attended was that 62366:2015 is a step in the right direction. There's a re-focus on safety over (strictly) usability. I think device manufacturers will, if they haven't already, need to implement a Human Factors Engineering program and start making HF a standard part of their development operations.

It's an interesting topic and, again, thanks for raising it. It will, indeed, be interesting to see how it plays out.

Pads38

Trusted Information Resource
Hi Milos,

To simplify things here is the link:

http://www.bsigroup.com/en-GB/our-services/medical-device-services/BSI-Medical-Devices-Whitepapers/

(Registration required - free)

As for the article - it is a reasonable summary of the usability process, and tries to cover both the IEC/European approach and the FDA/US approach.

But I don't think it provides anything new. It all makes perfect sense for devices where the 'User Interface' is a critical element of the design (ITU monitors, home use devices, drug pumps etc) but does not really help when the UI is of no real consequence to the risks of the device. This may because the UI is very simple or it could be because any UI induced errors would be very limited due to the purpose of the device.

Edit:
Too slow!

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
I guess a good question is whether anyone has had any experience with test labs or other parties (FDA inspectors, ISO registrars) asking for evidence of usability engineering / usability studies?

c.mitch

Quite Involved in Discussions
Yes Yodon, in Europe, my customers already had CE mark audits with non-conformities on usability essential requirement. The NB auditor was expecting a usability study file compliant to IEC 62366.

Pads38

The organisation that sets the standards for Certified Bodies (the 'officially' recognised test houses) is the IECEE. They have published a guidance document on the use of standards, of the 60601 series, to get a CB Certificate.

(Link: http://www.iecee.org/Operational_documents/od-cb_index.html
look for OD-2055
Also get the 'Definitions and Acronyms' document - you will need it!)

In the annexes to OD-2055 there is indication that an Edition 3.0 60601 certificate need not include 60601-1-6. The 'Notes' suggest that this is only required when 60601-1-8 (Alarms/Bells/Whistles) and/or 60601-1-11 (Home environment) are included.

However, for a Edition 3.1 certificate, 60601-1-6 is required for all devices.

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
The organisation that sets the standards for Certified Bodies (the 'officially' recognised test houses) is the IECEE
Just take some care here. IECEE is one "scheme" for accreditation. IN fact, for labs, the scheme most used worldwide is the ILAC one, and it does not have any document on IEC 60601, risk management, or anything related.

For example, we do not accepted IECEE testing and certification for medical devices in Brazil.

L

Lerotronic

Yes Yodon, in Europe, my customers already had CE mark audits with non-conformities on usability essential requirement. The NB auditor was expecting a usability study file compliant to IEC 62366.
Hi c.mitch! This is very interesting notion. Could you tell us something more about it?
Something I was lacking in the white paper above is actually some insight on how the Notified Bodies are enforcing compliance with the usability requirements, for CE marking.

c.mitch

Quite Involved in Discussions
Same old story.
Iec 62366 is an harmonized standard and gives presumption of conformity to essential requirements re. usability.
Thus they look for evidence of validation of usability. If you have no evidence and you don't claim the standard, you get an NC re. essential requirement. If you claim it, you get an NC on standard requirements.

Mark Meer

Thus they look for evidence of validation of usability.
Curious: is IEC 62366 becoming another "de-facto" standard (much like the 60601 series), whose path of least resistance would entail a report by some accredited 3rd party?

If so, I think this would be a negative thing for a lot of developers.

Having evidence of usability risk management and validation is one thing (and normally already part of design process)... but having strict compliance to IEC 62366 (especially if it involves 3rd-party assessment) is additionally burdensome IMHO...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Experience working with TUV SUD or Rheinland, and/or BSI Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
Judy Abbott Activation of complement at 90 min - BSI requested for justifications to support the biocompatibility of the device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Informational EU – New notified body designated under the MDR – NB 2797 BSI Group The Netherlands B.V. Netherlands Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational BSI UK notified under the IVDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Informational BSI certifies first product to the Medical Devices Regulation Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 10
M Informational BSI – ISO 13485 and products with May 2020 deadline for MDR certification Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Scope of BSI for the MDR – Regulation (EU) 2017/745 on medical devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational First NB designated to the EU MDR regulation – BSI UK Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M BSI – Want to know more about the Notified Body? Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
M Informational BSI – MDR Documentation Submissions Best Practices Guidelines Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device News BSI achieves Designation for its Netherlands Medical Devices Notified Body EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P What qualifications are required to become an auditor for a CB (BSI, for example)? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
S BSI's ISO 13485 certificate does not mention AC 2009 corrigendum Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
A BSI Diploma Quality Management Course ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M BSI-Free webinars Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 0
S Observation from BSI Audit of our Internal Audit Plan Internal Auditing 8
Coury Ferguson BSI receives AS9104/1 ANAB Accreditation - October 2012 Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
B Bureau Veritas Certification Body: SAI global ?BSI? Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
L BSI Logo - Requirements when using the BSI logo to show certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
G Does BSI do ISO 9001/TS 16949 Lead Auditor training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
Howard Atkins BSI changes accreditation - ANAB will provide accreditation services to BSI Registrars and Notified Bodies 34
Manix BSI Management System Webinars 2008 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 13
Sidney Vianna New customer service guidelines from BSI - BS 8477 Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
Sidney Vianna BSI publishes world?s first business relationship specification Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 12
A BSI ISO 9001 Lead Auditor Course registration number? Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
D MSA and Number of operators - BSI auditor: 3 operators must be used for Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
I ISO 20000 IT Service Management Standard published - Based on BSI standard BS 15000 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
1 Recommended!! For TS16949 Certification through BSI IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
S BSI ISO/TS 16949:2002 Requirements to Management System Matrix Form Help Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
B BSI PreAssessment Visit ISO 94-2000 - What to expect? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
D What is OHSAS 18001? An auditable Occupational Health & Safety System standard - BSi Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 17
M BSI-CEEM RAB approved ISO 9001:2000 Lead Auditor Course General Auditing Discussions 6
Marc BSI and OSHA Web Site Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
R TR 16949 - BSI Projectline Database IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
K AS9100 - 7.3 - Are these black and white questions with specific correct answers AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
M Informational US – MITA UPDATES SERVICING AND REMANUFACTURING WHITE PAPER Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational DITTA White Paper on Cybersecurity: Best Practices in the Medical Technology Manufacturing Environment Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device News NB-Med and Team-NB have jointly edited a white paper entitled “White Paper – One Year of Application” Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
optomist1 Recommend Primer Details of Non-Contact White/Blue Light Scanning General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
L Color measurements R&R: what's wrong with white? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
MichaelDRoach Where in ISO 9001 is White Out on Forms and Records Prohibited? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
C Use of white-out or obliterating a portion of a controlled drawing or document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
P EU MDD revisions white paper on the proposals for the Medical Device Regulations EU Medical Device Regulations 1
B I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 31
P White Light vs. Laser Scanner - Investing in a 3d Scanner Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
V Where to find Red/White Rust Rating Requirements? APQP and PPAP 4
L Discoloration of Tin Plated Surface from White to Black or Yellow during Storage Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
AnaMariaVR2 [White Paper] Writing & Enforcing Your SOPs for GxP Compliance Success Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
R Red LED vs. White Light Inspection Lamp Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
S What's a White Paper and how is one applicable in the Medical Device field? Other US Medical Device Regulations 9