Building an AS9100 QMS (Quality Management System)

M

macshopkid

Hello everybody. First let me say that this forum incredibly informative (maybe a little too informative as I can get lost soaking up information and advice.)

I was recently put 'in charge' of implementing a QMS so that the shop I work at could become AS9100 certified. I have an engineering degree but am only 23 and have ZERO experience in quality management systems, AS9100, or anything that relates to it. (So, I basically have no idea what I am doing or where to begin.) I have been doing research for the past couple weeks and I am slowly gaining a basic level of understanding and this forum has really been helpful so far.

Here is a little bit of background info about the company: it is a small machine shop (7 or 8 employees) that mostly deals with manufacturing CNC models or molds for prototypes. We manufacture things for loads of customers in many different fields but our main customers are aerospace companies. These companies are suggesting (pushing) our shop to get AS9100 certified for obvious reasons. That being said we currently have no QMS in place and no one who has any experience in dealing in quality, process control, internal auditing, etc.

I have a thousand questions but I want to begin with the basics. Does anybody have ideas on a good place to start? Right now I am planning on taking a intro to AS9100 course to fill in the gaps in what I already know (or think I know). I have read all sorts of advice but feel it would be helpful to hear some pointed directly at me. I feel confident that I can climb this mountain but some Sherpa's climbing ahead of me sure would help!

Thanks in advance for all the great advice!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Re: Building a QMS

Here is a little bit of background info about the company: it is a small machine shop (7 or 8 employees) that mostly deals with manufacturing CNC models or molds for prototypes. We manufacture things for loads of customers in many different fields but our main customers are aerospace companies. These companies are suggesting (pushing) our shop to get AS9100 certified for obvious reasons. That being said we currently have no QMS in place and no one who has any experience in dealing in quality, process control, internal auditing, etc.
I would STRONGLY advise you to steer away from AS9100. This standard was developed with the focus on suppliers of aerospace flight hardware. It has been recently "expanded" to accommodate space and defense needs as well. But, in reality, if you are not a supplier of a critical part in the aviation, space & defense chain, AS9100 would impose a number of requirements onto you that would not make sense whatsoever. You would have to make a lot of "artificial interpretations" or take a bunch of exclusions. AS9100 is not a good model for your organization's QMS.

Much better to model your QMS after ISO 9001.

Good luck to you and welcome to The Cove.

M

macshopkid

Vianna,

It was also my initial thought that the ISO 9001 was a more suitable model for us to use. However, we occasionally also manufacture turbine blades, and while these blades are not for aircraft it is the hope of the shop owner that by getting AS9100 certified it will open doors to producing aircraft turbine parts as well as possible business from other local aerospace companies. I probably should have specified that in the previous post.

J

Jason PCSwitches

Vianna,

It was also my initial thought that the ISO 9001 was a more suitable model for us to use. However, we occasionally also manufacture turbine blades, and while these blades are not for aircraft it is the hope of the shop owner that by getting AS9100 certified it will open doors to producing aircraft turbine parts as well as possible business from other local aerospace companies. I probably should have specified that in the previous post.

If your chasing that market I would contact a couple of CB's and start the process of selection. If nobody within your organization has any experience with AS it will be best to work with a CB of your choice, who will work to get you certified. I wouldn't go down the consultant avenue just yet (not always worth it IMHO).

Also, don't forget to bring your ??'s here. You'll get a lot of support & quick responses.

M

macshopkid

Wow, you all are fast!

Okay, so I'm a little confused on the difference between a CB and a consultant. I understand that a CB performs the audit, etc., and a consultant helps with the leg work when preparing and implementing a QMS. But, in your response you said the CB will work to get you certified. The way that is phrased it sounds like they are doing what a consultant would be doing. Am I interpreting that wrong? This seems like a dumb question but I could use a little clarification.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin

But, in your response you said the CB will work to get you certified. The way that is phrased it sounds like they are doing what a consultant would be doing. Am I interpreting that wrong? This seems like a dumb question but I could use a little clarification.
Not a dumb question at all. The CB is limited to what they can do, in terms of "helping" anyone to attain certification. CB's are prohibited from consulting, advising etc, due to the conflict of interest. So, at best, CB's can offer training, answer interpretative questions, but they can not give you any specific guidance.

So, your confusion is totally understood. Maybe Jason can clarify how he sees the CB helping you.

M

macshopkid

Thanks Vianna that was very helpful. Stop me if you think I am putting the cart ahead of the horse, but here is my current plan of action to move forward with this process.

- Communicate with the other employees to gain a better understanding of the processes involved in production from receiving an order to final output.
- Write up a rough version of the overall process and compare the current process with the AS9100 standard and do some sort of gap analysis to determine where changes need to be made.

I don’t really want to get bogged down with all the documentation so I am trying to work my way in slowly. I still have tons of questions about the documents and standard itself, but having our current process in writing and seeing it organized seems like it will help me feel less overwhelmed. I am currently thinking that at some point I may need some slight consulting to help clear up some questions concerning documentation, internal auditing, etc., but I am trying to keep that at a minimum if at all possible. Plus, you guys are super handy and this feels like a safer environment for asking general questions than calling up a consultant at this point in time. Look forward to your advice (or most likely constructive criticism. Haha)

Thanks Vianna that was very helpful. Stop me if you think I am putting the cart ahead of the horse, but here is my current plan of action to move forward with this process.

- Communicate with the other employees to gain a better understanding of the processes involved in production from receiving an order to final output.
- Write up a rough version of the overall process and compare the current process with the AS9100 standard and do some sort of gap analysis to determine where changes need to be made.

I don’t really want to get bogged down with all the documentation so I am trying to work my way in slowly. I still have tons of questions about the documents and standard itself, but having our current process in writing and seeing it organized seems like it will help me feel less overwhelmed. I am currently thinking that at some point I may need some slight consulting to help clear up some questions concerning documentation, internal auditing, etc., but I am trying to keep that at a minimum if at all possible. Plus, you guys are super handy and this feels like a safer environment for asking general questions than calling up a consultant at this point in time. Look forward to your advice (or most likely constructive criticism. Haha)
OK - here goes!

OK....

Sidney pointed out, correctly, that AS9100 isn't the correct standard.

Before you start doing any mapping of processes and such like, there are many other things you need to do, one of them is some research. Since you are going to be leading this, you will have to be at least 1/2 a step in front. Getting a good consultant may be the best thing, since they can coach you a lot faster than getting your knowledge through osmosis. You don't say where you are, so that would help us to help you.

There is a time honored and trusted method of implementation of a QMS, (best if it's ISO 9001 for many other reasons) which is described here: http://www.nqa-usa.com/resources/articles_detail.php?id=79

Big Jim

Trusted Information Resource
I understand what both Sydney and Andy have said as to this might not be the best standard for you, but if you customers are pushing you for this you should listen to them too.

I call on several small shops in similar circumstances to yours that are AS9100 registered, so it certainly can be done. I would suggest you talk to your customers and find out why they think yours should be one of them too.

That said, if you have no system in place at all right now, you have a lot of work ahead of you. You would be very well advised to find a good consultant. It can be done without one, but it is much harder and takes longer. I hear that from clients over and over and over.

Also, if your customers would like you to become AS9100 registered, but are not in a big hurry for it, strongly consider doing ISO 9001 first. AS9100 will be much easier if you are already disciplined to ISO 9001. If you are not aware of it, AS9100 includes everything that is in ISO 9001, and then adds aerospace specific requirements. A common comment is that AS9100 is ISO 9001 on steroids.

You are starting off correctly. You are learning all you can and you are seeking advice from good sources. Best of luck to you.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Building up a global quality management system ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A Building up a global quality management system 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
JAMESH Building a "Lean" Job Shop Training Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
DuncanGibbons FAA's Building Block approach to certification Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
John Broomfield Informational Chartered Institute of Building - Code on Quality Management Service Industry Specific Topics 2
J Facilities - Placing our assembly group into a separate building ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
T FAI (First Article Inspection) of Large Assemblies/Tooling after move to new building AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 12
A Process moved to new building - Now we are in trouble IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
M Building Production / Manufacturing Facility for Class 2 Medical Device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
H Two Business Units Combined in the same Building ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
L Building your own Leakage Current Tester IEC60990 Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
C Acceleration Calculation - Building Vibration Requirements Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
R How much Protective Current Rating of Building Branch Circuit should be considered? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
K Building Heavy Pollution Factory next to Medical Device Factory (ISO 13485) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Building and Warehouse requirements of OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 8
C Building a Dimensional Metrology Laboratory to Inspect various Physical Measurements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M System Building - What are the key steps? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
B Building a Class 10,000 Clean Room Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
P Specifying the building of a new Calibration Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
P Heavy Manufacturing Supplier QA - Building Units at a Supplier's Facility Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
R Building an OEE System to our Production Lines - New concepts to me Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 12
Marc Green Building: A Real Estate Revolution? University Of Michigan Banks On LEED Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 1
E Building a Calibration Room Test Bench - Finding components, test leads, etc. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
J Building the QMS (Quality Management System): Getting Started Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 16
T Inspection Records for a Building Contracting Firm Service Industry Specific Topics 1
B Get design from outside. Is it an outsourced process? Ship Building ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
N Customer Care - Building relationships to acquire, satisfy and retain customers Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
Marc World's largest building struck by lightning - The Burj Khalifa World News 3
DanteCaspian Recommended Andons? Building 3 light-4 light andons, with or without sound Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
C Long Term Risk of Building without full set of Released Drawings Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
P Quality control system in building sites - Construction ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M Building a Database for Equipment Failures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
hogheavenfarm Extent of certification - Companies sharing manufacturing space in a building ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
G Leak Test - Building a master pump to calibrate pump tester Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
M Is 6 sigma suitable for ship building where the nature of work is non repetitive? Six Sigma 12
Antonio Vieira Requirement 7.3 Exclusion - Building Construction Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Y Outdoor and Indoor Team Building Program Suggestions Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
J Product Realization Plant Layout - Moving to a Larger Building - Need info Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
B PFMEA Risk Assessment - Transfer of Production to a New Building (Relocation) FMEA and Control Plans 9
H How to Start Building New Management System for OHSAS 18001 and to Start Implementing Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 10
M Defining the Problem and Building Experience - For Discussion ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
ccochran Building a Balanced Scorecard The Reading Room 11
S Visual Inspection Variation - What can we do? Building slot machines Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
C Quality Plan in a Service Company - Civil engineering service - Building construction Service Industry Specific Topics 4
C Building a Home and Cost of Poor Quality Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 14
M What are all the possible building blocks or inputs for a process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Y ISO applied Information - Building the organization effectively ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Y Team Building Exercise - Training that boosts group motivation level Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
I Building a new cleanroom - ISO 14644-3 or ISO 14644-4 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R Designing and building our own machines Design and Development of Products and Processes 5