Building and Warehouse requirements of OHSAS 18001

S

sun rise

Dear Friends

I am working for a company we are going to be certified OHSAS 18001 I have some question related to standard

1. We have a building, inside these building we have 3 workshops (mechanics, electrical, electronics)

the three workshop their door opened and rotate from outside to inside i.e. to escape from the workshop you must Pull the door not push the door

2. our warehouse is a small so we storage raw material as below
a. there is no space between product and wall, Only we leave a space of 100 cm between every storage rack and other.

b. storage some of raw material at Production area and make it safe by providing fire extinguisher near raw material.

Are these cases could lead to non conformity at external audit by Certification body?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
Re: requirements of OHSAS 18001

On their face NO to both.

Everything is dependent upon Hazards vs Consequences....called RISK

18001 is about the effective management of RISK and whther or not you are doing it

Last edited:

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator

the three workshop their door opened and rotate from outside to inside i.e. to escape from the workshop you must Pull the door not push the door
So what is the hazard and the consequence ? What do you plan to do about it... ?
b. storage some of raw material at Production area and make it safe by providing fire extinguisher near raw material.
What OHSAS hazard and consequence was assessed for you to take this action ?
You seem to have good food for hazard / risk analysis. Continue and do the rating to prioritize actions.
Are these cases could lead to non conformity at external audit by Certification body?
Do not worry about NC's and from CB over all your observations. Rather your all good and keen observations must lead you to good analysis and further logical control methods.
Good luck sun rise ...

J

JaxQC

Hi SunRise, welcome to the Cove.

In general a good source of information on safety topics is the OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Standards) websites & is part of the CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) system.

I use it a lot in developing the safety program for my facility which is pretty much non-existent to start with. You’ll find lots of good references and it also lists what is required / mandated & needs to be addressed.

The answer to your # 1 question is depends on the occupancy level of the room & can be found under 29 CFR 1910.36 Means of Egress.
1910.36(e)(2) - The door that connects any room to an exit route must swing out in the direction of exit travel if the room is designed to be occupied by more than 50 people or if the room is a high hazard area (i.e., contains contents that are likely to burn with extreme rapidity or explode).

A good summary page Design and Construction Requirements for Exit Routes can be found at…
http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/evacuation/egress_construction.html

Side Note - If your company is providing fire extinguishers for employee use, you’ll want to look up FPP-Fire Prevention Plan from the OSHA site & what issues you’ll need to address for fire extinguishers.

# 2 - As for the product/wall question, look up OSHA publication # OSHA 2236 Material Handling and Storage (free pdf). http://www.osha.gov/Publications/osha2236.pdf The only reference I can find is to “Stored baled paper or rags no less than 18” from wall (page 6)”. So unless your stored product is this…they don’t restrict you.

Basically keep in mind when it comes to safety related Work Instructions etc...document and reference the FCR standards where possible and address all the “shalls” where outlined.

Hope this helps.

S

sun rise

On their face NO to both.
Excuse me sir, what do you mean by this?

and what about storage chemical inside production area? is it acceptable by OHSAS Auditor or it will raise a NC

or it is mandatory to build a new ware house which will need more funds.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sun rise

So what is the hazard and the consequence ? What do you plan to do about it... ?

What OHSAS hazard and consequence was assessed for you to take this action ?
You seem to have good food for hazard / risk analysis. Continue and do the rating to prioritize actions.
Our problem that we didn't have enough space at our ware house , so we keep some our raw material (liquid chemical and Powder chemical) at the production area?

Is this will lead to NC

Randy

Super Moderator

Excuse me sir, what do you mean by this?

and what about storage chemical inside production area? is it acceptable by OHSAS Auditor or it will raise a NC

or it is mandatory to build a new ware house which will need more funds.
I am an OHSAS Auditor for a CB (as you put it) and NO with the information you have provided I see no evidence to support nonconfomity YET

S

sun rise

I am an OHSAS Auditor for a CB (as you put it) and NO with the information you have provided I see no evidence to support nonconfomity YET
Thanks Mr. Randy

I mentioned this case at our risk assessment that is seem hazardous and put a control measure, by providing enough fire extinguisher , installing a metal shield around the material to prevent it to be crashed by fork lift.

But for the warehouse itself the material was stored Adjacent to the wall and this is anti OSHA rules. could this case lead NC. may be auditor see that this case cause dangerous and harmful of people if fire happen

S

sun rise

Also Mr. Randy we have a problem on our documentation because we are using paper system not electronic system

Our problem that if we update the procedure and add a new pages to the procedures this will affect the sequences of number of pages and will affect the total no. of pages. and cause issue a new version and print the whole procedures again

We need any way
to add new pages to a procedure, with out printing the whole procedure. Just adding the new pages inside the procedure.

like if our procedure with 5 pages , at the footer we write the numbering
(1 from 5), (2 from 5), (3 from 5), (4 from 5), (5 from 5)

if we add a new 2 pages
could we make it
(1 from 5), (2 from 5), (3 from 5), (3 a from 5), (3 b from 5), (4 from 5), (5 from 5)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Building up a global quality management system ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A Building up a global quality management system 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
JAMESH Building a "Lean" Job Shop Training Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
DuncanGibbons FAA's Building Block approach to certification Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
John Broomfield Informational Chartered Institute of Building - Code on Quality Management Service Industry Specific Topics 2
J Facilities - Placing our assembly group into a separate building ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
T FAI (First Article Inspection) of Large Assemblies/Tooling after move to new building AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
A Process moved to new building - Now we are in trouble IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
M Building Production / Manufacturing Facility for Class 2 Medical Device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
H Two Business Units Combined in the same Building ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
L Building your own Leakage Current Tester IEC60990 Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
C Acceleration Calculation - Building Vibration Requirements Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
R How much Protective Current Rating of Building Branch Circuit should be considered? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
K Building Heavy Pollution Factory next to Medical Device Factory (ISO 13485) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C Building a Dimensional Metrology Laboratory to Inspect various Physical Measurements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M System Building - What are the key steps? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
M Building an AS9100 QMS (Quality Management System) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 21
B Building a Class 10,000 Clean Room Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
P Specifying the building of a new Calibration Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
P Heavy Manufacturing Supplier QA - Building Units at a Supplier's Facility Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
R Building an OEE System to our Production Lines - New concepts to me Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 12
Marc Green Building: A Real Estate Revolution? University Of Michigan Banks On LEED Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 1
E Building a Calibration Room Test Bench - Finding components, test leads, etc. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
J Building the QMS (Quality Management System): Getting Started Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 16
T Inspection Records for a Building Contracting Firm Service Industry Specific Topics 1
B Get design from outside. Is it an outsourced process? Ship Building ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
N Customer Care - Building relationships to acquire, satisfy and retain customers Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
Marc World's largest building struck by lightning - The Burj Khalifa World News 3
DanteCaspian Recommended Andons? Building 3 light-4 light andons, with or without sound Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
C Long Term Risk of Building without full set of Released Drawings Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
P Quality control system in building sites - Construction ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M Building a Database for Equipment Failures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
hogheavenfarm Extent of certification - Companies sharing manufacturing space in a building ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
G Leak Test - Building a master pump to calibrate pump tester Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
M Is 6 sigma suitable for ship building where the nature of work is non repetitive? Six Sigma 12
Antonio Vieira Requirement 7.3 Exclusion - Building Construction Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Y Outdoor and Indoor Team Building Program Suggestions Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
J Product Realization Plant Layout - Moving to a Larger Building - Need info Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
B PFMEA Risk Assessment - Transfer of Production to a New Building (Relocation) FMEA and Control Plans 9
H How to Start Building New Management System for OHSAS 18001 and to Start Implementing Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 10
M Defining the Problem and Building Experience - For Discussion ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
ccochran Building a Balanced Scorecard The Reading Room 11
S Visual Inspection Variation - What can we do? Building slot machines Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
C Quality Plan in a Service Company - Civil engineering service - Building construction Service Industry Specific Topics 4
C Building a Home and Cost of Poor Quality Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 14
M What are all the possible building blocks or inputs for a process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Y ISO applied Information - Building the organization effectively ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Y Team Building Exercise - Training that boosts group motivation level Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
I Building a new cleanroom - ISO 14644-3 or ISO 14644-4 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R Designing and building our own machines Design and Development of Products and Processes 5