Building the QMS (Quality Management System): Getting Started

J

jbrelle

Dear all,

I'm new here in the Cove, registered 1 month ago and I've been reading many topics so far, even though I feel like I haven't even started to see the top of the iceberg... Please apologize for my bad English, I'll do my best to be understandable! As my post title says, this is about getting started with the QMS, and by this I really mean GETTING STARTED :rolleyes: Let me explain: I am not a quality expert at all, no experience in this field, I've been working in a R&D lab developping new alloys so far, and untill now "Quality" was for me the boring guy with useless requirements :notme: Now I joined what I considered as the dark side of the Force and I will try to be a useful guy with very helpful requirements leading the continuous improvement! Here is the situation: we are a very young (little more than 2 years old) company, fast growing (19 people, probably around 25 at the end of the year), and of course with absolutely NOTHING set for the QMS so far. Which means I have to figure out how I will start building the QMS :confused: First of all, as I told you, I'm not an expert at all, and I will try to improve a little at the beginning of next month by attending a 3-days intensive course on ISO 9001 in services companies. I will probably attend another course in June, more specific to what we plan to obtain, i.e. the DIN EN 9120 certification (maybe I should have started saying that, but again, so difficult to know where is the first step!). Well, that was a long speech, sorry for that, I hope there are still some of you reading at this point :bonk: Maybe the last word to explain what we do: we're buying titanium products from our mother company and selling them to our subsidiaries all around the world, with a large majority of aerospace applications. We are only doing "paper job", meaning that the material is delivered directly to the subsidiary. We are dealing with sales and purchase orders, and are also responsible for the reporting, accounting and marketing. I will warmly receive any advice to help me get started in my journey to the promise land of a well-mastered QMS... :thanx:

Julien

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Re: Building the QMS: getting started

Welcome :bigwave:

Your English is quite acceptable, good job! It looks like you are doing the right things, reading the forums, getting training, those are the things I always recommend. Have you found the lists of related topics at the bottom of each thread? It is very useful when you are reading threads, and there is a search function in the nav bar near the top of the page that I'm sure you've seen while you have been studying the Cove? As far as your business model, it seems that you operate similarly to a brokerage? You have described that you just sell something your sister division has, so I am assuming you do none of the inspection/testing on it? Sit down, list out step by step what your division's process is, then you can start to narrow down what your responsibilities are under ISO 9001.

We are glad you found us, enjoy the journey (on the dark side?:mg:) and let us know what we can help you with.

J

jbrelle

Thanks SteelMaiden! Indeed, I had seen the "search" function, and I have been using it intensively, but there is such a huge amount of topics in the Cove that you easily get lost around the corner... It happened that I left the office at the end of the day and could not remember what I had been searching for in the first place:bonk: Yesterday I had terrible headache reading the passionate debate about CAPA and how to distinguish CA from PA... And I finally decided to keep in mind only one thing: as long as you adress both issue and it works for you, that's fine! Anyway, I started a new thread just to be able to have the more important information at one place, and eventually ask for assistance now and then as I proceed with the implementation of the QMS. By the way, you're totally right, we're not doing any inspection or testing, the only proof of conformity that we get are the certificates: is that acceptable? That's another thing I found a bit difficult when thinking of the best way to start, it appears that most of you guys are dealing with "real" stuff, you have production plants and engineering departments to work with. Here it is somehow different and not always easy to figure out how the general rules may apply to us. But I'll find my way sooner or later :rolleyes:

C

ChrissieO

That's another thing I found a bit difficult when thinking of the best way to start, it appears that most of you guys are dealing with "real" stuff, you have production plants and engineering departments to work with. Here it is somehow different and not always easy to figure out how the general rules may apply to us. But I'll find my way sooner or later :rolleyes:

You are not alone, even with 11 years in Q/S/E/MSs I stil get a little lost with some of the topics as I work in a purely service industry, Customer service/logistics/warehousing and distribution across 4 sites and approximately 350 people, although we are now dipping our toes into the strange world of manufacturing and I am having to get myself back up to speed on these things quickly and have found the Cove my best source of knowledge.

I think you are doing things right by having the correct training to start with, things will become a lot clearer to you after that, so I wouldn't stress too much at this point. You may find on your course that it slants towards manufacturing processes etc as there will probably be people from these industries attending. Do not be afraid to ask the trainer questions about how to relate the standard to service industry.

One tip before you got on your course, get into the habbit of where you see the word "product" within 9001 train your eyes to see "service" i.e. Product Realisation = Service Realisation.

By the time you go on your course you will be so used to it the course may make more sense.

Chrissie x

J

jbrelle

You are not alone, even with 11 years in Q/S/E/MSs I stil get a little lost with some of the topics as I work in a purely service industry
Good to know I'm not alone :) But also means that I will still be lost in 11 years :mg: Well, that is probably the driving force for continuous improvement: never feel like you master your job!

You may find on your course that it slants towards manufacturing processes etc as there will probably be people from these industries attending.
Should not be the case, as the course is specific to purely service companies (French title, if it means something to you: "Guide Pratique de l'ISO 9001 - Spécial Services"). But you're right, after all "services" are just a particular type of products. Put this way it's sometimes easier to apply some of the discussions here in the Cove to our daily work.

Thanks Chrissie for the help! :thanks:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
It can look daunting, so I would start by simply listing my customers and their requirements, by category of product and service, or how to find the requirements. This way you have determined what they want. Next thing is to lay out the means to make sure they get what they want.

From there it seems worthwhile to use ISO 9001 as a guide to organize the many things you probably already do by subject, and establish or refine those which do not seem adequate. Unless you are making nuclear reactors or replacement heart valves, simpler is probably better.

When writing processes or procedures I would start with flow charts. When recording more detailed write-ups I would avoid saying what I think the system wants, but instead say what is being done. After that is completed these processes and their documents can be run through a "gap analysis" to see if critical activities or aspects are missing or need to be changed.

I would closely involve the process experts as consultants. Whatever written procedure evolves needs to be accurate but also easy to use so they won't ignore it.

I would also consult with process people when developing and monitoring key metrics - what tells us if things are going well or not - and encourage open thought and communication as to what can be improved, because process problems are very often not caused by people who work the processes; we have internal customers too, so a seemingly small issue to one group can present a huge problem to the group who receives it in handoff.

I would celebrate as groups, because, metaphorically speaking, this ship sinks or arrives with pretty much everyone on it.

I hope this helps!

J

jbrelle

Hi everyone,

Still 2 weeks before I attend this course on ISO 9001, I really hope it will be helpful. But of course I'm not sitting in my office doing nothing until then! :D

I thought the first step would be to write a draft for the "Control of documents" procedure, because all other documents that we will be writing will have to follow this procedure. Make sense to you experts? As I said in my first post, I'm starting from scratch and try to figure the best way to build the QMS. I will probably submit this procedure to your kind review in a few days, but for now I'm waiting for the purchase of SmartDraw (I used the trial version to practice and found it really easy to use) to be able to insert my flow-charts without a "Trial Version" stamp printed on it:rolleyes: And guess what? I wrote a form for "Software Purchase Request"... Sounds a bit like the snake biting its own tail, since I need this form to request the purchase of the software, and need the software to write my procedure, which I should have used to write the form... :frust: But no big deal I guess...

Well, lot of (bad English) writing again, sorry, here comes the problem bringing me to the Cove today: I'm trying to see where are the borders of our activity, finding the inputs and outputs. And I feel like we are on a really particular case... As I explained, we buy all material from our mother company, i.e. no supplier selection (I mean, except for the coffee or the office furnitures). And we sell only to our sister companies (and THEY sell to the final customers), which are dealing with contract review. So basically we are converting PO from our sister companies to PO to our mother company, and then going back with SO from our mother company to SO to our sister company... :confused: Writing things this way, I feel lost... It seems to me that many of the fields addressed by the standard are not relevant for us, e.g. determination/review of requirements related to the product: this is done by our sister companies, we are "only" forwarding their POs. But would that be acceptable to exclude those clauses? Same for "verification of purchased product": as the material goes directly from mother company to sister company, we are not in a position to control it. Again, this job is done by the sister companies... Am I completely off the track with thoughts? :confused: I hope I didn't bother you too much with my endless writing and messy thinking :rolleyes:

Have all a good day!

J

jbrelle

Hi everyone,

Me again... I've been attending my course and I'm still trying to get the best of it: many documents were given to us and I didn't have time to read them all so far. But I think this will be useful and I'm now a little bit more familiar with ISO, even though still very far from being an expert as you are in the Cove... :rolleyes:

I'd like to have your opinion on the document attached. I was thinking the first step in creating a QMS from scratch shall be to define how we will control our documents, and that's why I wrote this procedure first. I tried to follow the guidelines found by reading previous topics, but I've been reading this document so much that I can't see anything new and that's why I'm asking for your help. Please don't be too severe, this is the first procedure I've ever written :(

Thank you for your helpful comments! :thanx:

Attachments

B

Brunetta

I read your procedure, and was curious as to what the catalyst is to review, update and re-approve existing documents in your organization?

J

jbrelle

I read your procedure, and was curious as to what the catalyst is to review, update and re-approve existing documents in your organization?
I'm sorry Brunetta but I'm afraid I don't understand your question... Could you please rephrase it? Are you looking for the "starting point" of the reviewing process?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Building an AS9100 QMS (Quality Management System) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 21
A Building up a global quality management system ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A Building up a global quality management system 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
JAMESH Building a "Lean" Job Shop Training Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
DuncanGibbons FAA's Building Block approach to certification Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
John Broomfield Informational Chartered Institute of Building - Code on Quality Management Service Industry Specific Topics 2
J Facilities - Placing our assembly group into a separate building ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
T FAI (First Article Inspection) of Large Assemblies/Tooling after move to new building AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 12
A Process moved to new building - Now we are in trouble IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
M Building Production / Manufacturing Facility for Class 2 Medical Device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
H Two Business Units Combined in the same Building ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
L Building your own Leakage Current Tester IEC60990 Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
C Acceleration Calculation - Building Vibration Requirements Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
R How much Protective Current Rating of Building Branch Circuit should be considered? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
K Building Heavy Pollution Factory next to Medical Device Factory (ISO 13485) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Building and Warehouse requirements of OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 8
C Building a Dimensional Metrology Laboratory to Inspect various Physical Measurements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M System Building - What are the key steps? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
B Building a Class 10,000 Clean Room Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
P Specifying the building of a new Calibration Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
P Heavy Manufacturing Supplier QA - Building Units at a Supplier's Facility Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
R Building an OEE System to our Production Lines - New concepts to me Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 12
Marc Green Building: A Real Estate Revolution? University Of Michigan Banks On LEED Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 1
E Building a Calibration Room Test Bench - Finding components, test leads, etc. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
T Inspection Records for a Building Contracting Firm Service Industry Specific Topics 1
B Get design from outside. Is it an outsourced process? Ship Building ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
N Customer Care - Building relationships to acquire, satisfy and retain customers Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
Marc World's largest building struck by lightning - The Burj Khalifa World News 3
DanteCaspian Recommended Andons? Building 3 light-4 light andons, with or without sound Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
C Long Term Risk of Building without full set of Released Drawings Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
P Quality control system in building sites - Construction ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M Building a Database for Equipment Failures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
hogheavenfarm Extent of certification - Companies sharing manufacturing space in a building ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
G Leak Test - Building a master pump to calibrate pump tester Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
M Is 6 sigma suitable for ship building where the nature of work is non repetitive? Six Sigma 12
Antonio Vieira Requirement 7.3 Exclusion - Building Construction Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Y Outdoor and Indoor Team Building Program Suggestions Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
J Product Realization Plant Layout - Moving to a Larger Building - Need info Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
B PFMEA Risk Assessment - Transfer of Production to a New Building (Relocation) FMEA and Control Plans 9
H How to Start Building New Management System for OHSAS 18001 and to Start Implementing Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 10
M Defining the Problem and Building Experience - For Discussion ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
ccochran Building a Balanced Scorecard The Reading Room 11
S Visual Inspection Variation - What can we do? Building slot machines Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
C Quality Plan in a Service Company - Civil engineering service - Building construction Service Industry Specific Topics 4
C Building a Home and Cost of Poor Quality Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 14
M What are all the possible building blocks or inputs for a process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Y ISO applied Information - Building the organization effectively ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Y Team Building Exercise - Training that boosts group motivation level Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
I Building a new cleanroom - ISO 14644-3 or ISO 14644-4 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R Designing and building our own machines Design and Development of Products and Processes 5