Definition Bulk Material - What is bulk material? Coil processing plant

J

J Verdi

We are a coil processing plant that does work for suppliers of the big 3. Our coils range anywhere from 8,000 to 60,000 lbs. when shipped. My question is this. Are we considered a "bulk material" subcontractor and need to follow the criteria in the new 3rd edition of PPAP for bulk material (Which seems slightly easier and closer to what we do)? One last thing. The coils are given a production number from the customer. Does this automaticly make it production material and the standard PPAP needs to be performed?
Please help.

D

dewie

For my meaning, bulk material is like chemicals or paint that you mix in a tank. It has the same properties all through the tank. After packaging, every bottles still have the same properties.
So, I think your product is not bulk material.

D

David Guffey

Dewie's right. You are NOT a bulk supplier. You MAY BE and most likely are a raw material supplier. Yes, you are subject to PPAP if you are gearing toward QS-9000. After all, you are responsible for ensuring consistent chemical, metallurgical, and physical properties from coil-to-coil and shipment-to-shipment. The purpose of this is so that the users of the steel can be assured that their product will come out the same time and time again. I'm sure we all know what variations in our raw materials can do to us. If you have selected a registrar already, ask your registrar. And of course, you can always ask your customer to determine their expectations. For, no matter what any of us write here, if your customer wants "it" a certain way, that's the way!

J

J Verdi

The 3rd edition of PPAP states in appendix F that bulk steel/coils are examples of bulk material. We are a final processor. we are not manufacturing the steel. It is confusing. I am going to follow your advice and just do the regular "PPAP"

S

someshvar

Re: What is bulk material?

I am referring to 4th edition of PPAP manual. It does not say that coil is an example of a bulk material.

Per the manual these are the examples of bulk material.
Examples of bulk material include, but are not limited to: adhesives and sealants (solders, elastomers); chemicals (rinses, polishes, additives, treatments, colors/pigments, solvents); coatings (top coats, undercoats, primers, phosphates, surface treatments); engine coolants (antifreeze); fabrics; film and film laminates; ferrous and non-ferrous metals (bulk steel, aluminum, coils, ingots); foundry (sand/silica, alloying materials, other minerals/ores); fuels and fuel components; glass and glass components; lubricants (oils, greases, etc.); monomers, pre-polymers and polymers (rubbers, plastics, resins and their precursors); and performance fluids (transmission, power steering, brake, refrigerant).

Hope it helps to all fellow coves !

Hardik Someshvar

D

Dean Frederickson

It looks like they include coils to me.
Quote:
Examples of bulk material include, but are not limited to: adhesives and sealants (solders, elastomers); chemicals (rinses, polishes, additives, treatments, colors/pigments, solvents); coatings (top coats, undercoats, primers, phosphates, surface treatments); engine coolants (antifreeze); fabrics; film and film laminates; ferrous and non-ferrous metals (bulk steel, aluminum, coils, ingots); foundry (sand/silica, alloying materials, other minerals/ores); fuels and fuel components; glass and glass components; lubricants (oils, greases, etc.); monomers, pre-polymers and polymers (rubbers, plastics, resins and their precursors); and performance fluids (transmission, power steering, brake, refrigerant).

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

I am referring to 4th edition of PPAP manual. It does not say that coil is an example of a bulk material.

Emphasis added. It always pays to read what you're quoting. :D

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant

Hope it helps to all fellow coves !

Hardik Someshvar

As an auditor, I would accept that this phrase - fabrics; film and film laminates; ferrous and non-ferrous metals (bulk steel, aluminum, coils, ingots); - could apply to bulk, master coils. I would not apply it to slit final coils, without some further discussion and review. :2cents:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

As an auditor, I would accept that this phrase - fabrics; film and film laminates; ferrous and non-ferrous metals (bulk steel, aluminum, coils, ingots); - could apply to bulk, master coils. I would not apply it to slit final coils, without some further discussion and review. :2cents:

As an auditor, I hope you would honor what the standard clearly says, and not your own interpretation of it. I think that coiled metal is an appropriate member of the bulk material population, because there's usually no way to sample anything other than the ends until it's too late, whether the material has been slit or not.

C

Craig H.

As an auditor, I hope you would honor what the standard clearly says, and not your own interpretation of it. I think that coiled metal is an appropriate member of the bulk material population, because there's usually no way to sample anything other than the ends until it's too late, whether the material has been slit or not.

Yes, but what if the coil is not a bulk coil (to be cut and further processed) but is a coil spring, which is installed in a suspension system as it is received from the supplier? I would hope that this component would get the full treatment.

The word "coil" appears between "bulk steel, aluminum," and "ingots" in the standard.

If the standard said "spark plugs, steering wheels, coils and brake pads", then the decision would be clearer.

Top Bottom