Bulk Materials PPAP - Is resubmission needed at line change

C

Cees Ozinga

We are a producer of bulk materials and have some doubt if we need to do a PPAP re submission in the following case.
We will move the production from an existing production line to a new (larger one). Process technology stays the same, same site, same operators, same in-process control and final material QC-check. No raw material changes.

according to section 3.1. Customer notification, we shall notify the customer in case of any change. According 3.2 Submission to Customer table 3.2, a submission is only needed if the process technology used for the organization is new.

So I am puzzled.

Has somebody an answer

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
C

Cees Ozinga

Marc,

Thanks for your feedback. This is my expectation also, although also some of the customers have doubt (Tier 1)

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
We are a producer of bulk materials and have some doubt if we need to do a PPAP re submission in the following case.
We will move the production from an existing production line to a new (larger one). Process technology stays the same, same site, same operators, same in-process control and final material QC-check. No raw material changes.

according to section 3.1. Customer notification, we shall notify the customer in case of any change. According 3.2 Submission to Customer table 3.2, a submission is only needed if the process technology used for the organization is new.

So I am puzzled.

Has somebody an answer

Thanks
The closest the PPAP manual (4th Edition) comes to this situation is in 3.1 on page 13, #3, "Production following upgrade or rearrangement of existing tooling or equipment." Under "Clarification," "rearrangement" is defined as "...activity that changes the sequence of product/process flow from that documented in the process flow diagram (including the addition of a new process). Unfortunately, "new process" isn't defined.

When unsure, it's best to err on the side of notification.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
If you qualify and PPAP a die in a press unless the customer specifically states they do not need a new qualification run and/or PPAP you can't even move the die to a new press without a qualification run and PPAP for that die in the new press.

If I understand the original poster, it is entirely new equipment ("a new, larger line"). This doesn't sound like rearangement of the same equipment. That's a whole different story.

If you move a press, because everything from foundation resonance on can significantly change so the press and die have to be, or should be, requalified. If you're familiar with the V Rod that was (still is???) assembled at KC back around 2001-03, Harley required that of press changes and/or when presses were moved. I was a trouble shooter for several parts for that bike that were formed metal pieces including the 66067-01 air box cover. If a supplier moved a die to a new press, Harley wanted a new qualification & PPAP.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
If you qualify and PPAP a die in a press unless the customer specifically states they do not need a new qualification run and/or PPAP you can't even move the die to a new press without a qualification run and PPAP for that die in the new press.

If I understand the original poster, it is entirely new equipment ("a new, larger line"). This doesn't sound like rearangement of the same equipment. That's a whole different story.

If you move a press, because everything from foundation resonance on can significantly change so the press and die have to be, or should be, requalified. If you're familiar with the V Rod that was (still is???) assembled at KC back around 2001-03, Harley required that of press changes and/or when presses were moved. I was a trouble shooter for several parts for that bike that were formed metal pieces including the 66067-01 air box cover. If a supplier moved a die to a new press, Harley wanted a new qualification & PPAP.
This is about bulk materials, and apparently not hard tooling as in the case of dies or molds. The customer should be notified of the change and make the decision as to whether PPAP is required or not.

BTW, during the time period in question and V-Rod production, there was an SQE in KC who took great delight in complicating everything (and was very good at it) and their PPAP process was a mess. I only dealt with new parts and initial PPAP submissions; 30 days after PPAP approval the responsibility shifted to the plants, so I had no sway over what went on after parts went into regular production.

Marc

Leader
This is about bulk materials, and apparently not hard tooling as in the case of dies or molds.
I realize that. I used it as an analogy. If it's new process equipment it's the same issue: It is a process change. The process may stay exactly the same other than using different equipment (new or used), but if the equipment is changed it's a new ball game.

Marc

Leader
I only dealt with new parts and initial PPAP submissions; 30 days after PPAP approval the responsibility shifted to the plants, so I had no sway over what went on after parts went into regular production.
I worked with that issue as well. Harley harangued one client of mine (dealing with all the Harley issues was one reason I was called in) about original PPAPs not having been submitted. After 7 or 8 months of back and forth bitching Harley finally admitted that they found the original submissions in the bottom drawer of the desk of a contract worker who was let go. I give them credit for telling us they did find them. They could have just kept their mouth shut. None the less, had Harley been up to speed someone in Milwaukee would have followed up on what the person they let go was doing and such. That said, my client at the time was negligent as all get out because their engineer who did the original PPAPs and kept the approvals was an idiot who was promoted out of the position. He had records scattered everywhere. Instead of having things filed and indexed, he had no system and couldn't 'remember' where he put anything. That was DEFINITELY a Peter Principle promotion. The guy was an idiot.

Personally I was a happy camper. What companies pay me to clean up messes is very nice pay. I like those types of consulting jobs.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I worked with that issue as well. Harley harangued one client of mine (dealing with all the Harley issues was one reason I was called in) about original PPAPs not having been submitted. After 7 or 8 months of back and forth bitching Harley finally admitted that they found the original submissions in the bottom drawer of the desk of a contract worker who was let go. I give them credit for telling us they did find them. They could have just kept their mouth shut. None the less, had Harley been up to speed someone in Milwaukee would have followed up on what the person they let go was doing and such. That said, my client at the time was negligent as all get out because their engineer who did the original PPAPs and kept the approvals was an idiot who was promoted out of the position. He had records scattered everywhere. Instead of having things filed and indexed, he had no system and couldn't 'remember' where he put anything. That was DEFINITELY a Peter Principle promotion. The guy was an idiot.

Personally I was a happy camper. What companies pay me to clean up messes is very nice pay. I like those types of consulting jobs.
I vaguely remember something like this going on, and it happened more than once. It was partially dealt with by going to electronic submissions, but there were still a few times when e-files didn't get loaded into the system promptly.

C

Cees Ozinga

Indeed my doubt comes from the fact that the original PPAP system seems to be written around parts production. my guess is that bulk materials is added in a later phase.
Secondly (in our case) all produced batches are checked if the properties are within the agreed specification. (according to Note 2: on the bottom of page 9 of the 5th edition, this is considered a 100 %inspection). This is different compared to part supply, where more often is looked to process capabilities instead of a 100% testing of parts.
So, if there is no statistical diffference in properties between the 2 production lines I could defend that a PPAP re submission is not worthwhile the trouble.
Anyhow in this case, critical customers are aware of the situation, are informed and are testing material. My goal is to be able to control the discussion on the PPAP re submission issues.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Bulk Materials (Lead {Pb} Alloys) PPAP Requirements APQP and PPAP 5
P Raw materials as bulk materials (polymer, adhesive, etc) for PPAP IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
K PPAP Requirements for Raw / Bulk Materials? APQP and PPAP 6
P Bulk Materials PPAP / FMEA - Appendix F of the PPAP manual APQP and PPAP 1
Jim Wynne 4th Edition PPAP manual - Bulk Materials - Can you guess what this means? APQP and PPAP 12
T PPAP Appendix F.3 "Customer Plant Connection" - Bulk Materials - Steel Coil Supplier APQP and PPAP 4
J Bulk Materials Checklist form - 3rd Edition PPAP Manual APQP and PPAP 3
D Bulk Materials (Greases) and IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
U Run & rate for bulk materials IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
D Sample Sizes for 'Bulk' Fluids/ Materials (Polymer Synthesis Process) Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
S Batch Traceability for Bulk Materials which are mixed in the Storage Tank IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
J Acceptance Sampling for Bulk Materials - Anyone knowledgeable about ISO 10725? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
N "Bulk Materials Requirements Checklist" example request APQP and PPAP 1
S Is ppm calculation valid or invalid for bulk materials? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
V Customer Notification - Bulk Materials APQP and PPAP 2
N What are bulk materials? APQP and PPAP 1
BusyBee IVD components supplied in bulk CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
C Bulk Record Retention Review Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
S How to upload data in bulk on EUDAMED? EU Medical Device Regulations 13
S The perils of Bulk Packaging Customer Complaints 5
S Is FDA Establishment Registration for Bulk packaging Contract Manufacturers ? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
B Environmental Monitoring for Biopharmaceutical Manufacturing of Bulk Drug Substances Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
S Electronic (.xls or other) Bulk Material Checklist wanted APQP and PPAP 1
C PPAP Submissions for Thermoplastic Resins (Bulk Material) APQP and PPAP 3
G TS 16949 applicability for Bulk Material Product IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 25
J Canada Bulk Packaging and IFU requirements for Class IIa and IIb Medical Devices Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
P Bulk Material Requirements Checklist to send along with my PPAP APQP and PPAP 2
D How is transport of Dangerous Goods (limited quantity) regulated for Bulk Transport? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9
D Bulk Material Supplier Control Plans APQP and PPAP 2
0 Sample divider for PET flake bulk samples Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
R Is AQL sampling plans applicable for Bulk Pharmaceutical Manufacturing (API)? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
M For Bulk Material (eg. paint), are there any guidelines for Ford PPAP Requirements? APQP and PPAP 1
N Can I get a PPAP sample of Bulk Material (Plastic Resin)? APQP and PPAP 2
J We anneal aluminum tube (tier 2, bulk material) - Does CQI-9 apply to us? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Q Level of PPAP - Bulk Chemicals Supplier Requirements APQP and PPAP 2
C ISO 27001 and Bulk Email Policy - Your Thoughts, Please IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
A Are Steel & Resin Suppliers Bulk Material Suppliers - TS 16949 PPAP APQP and PPAP 6
N Re-Packaging and Re-Labeling Bulk Lots of Class II Medical Devices 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
J Incoming Inspection AQL Sampling of Bulk Textiles AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
S Gamma Sterilization: Change in Bulk Density vs. Revalidation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
T Gage R&R procedure for Bulk Chemicals Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
O Bulk Material PPAP - Design Matrix instead of a normal Design, Production FMEA APQP and PPAP 3
G Setting up realistic Quality Objectives - Bulk Material Handling Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
B Unregistered Bulk Scrap Metal Suppliers - Do they need to be ISO 9001 certified? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
A Calculating PPM for bulk-type product Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
Casana Detection level in PFMEA (Process FMEA) - Bulk Fluids FMEA and Control Plans 10
P Small parts trouble Kanban - Problems with the common small/bulk parts Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
M Bulk Class II product sale to kit packers 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
P Bulk Material PPAP (Resin Suppliers) APQP and PPAP 3
G Bulk Material Sample Standard Retention APQP and PPAP 2