Burrs affecting measurements and Process Capability

A

Ajgupta

Hello all,

I was hoping to get some clarification in an issure regarding process capability for a part with burrs affecting measurements. We machine a Cam with a critical dimension for the Cam width. The cam has ears on its sides with burrs between the face and the ear after the milling operation. Our operators check the part straight after machining and send it to Heat treat. Parts are deburred after Heat Treat and then used.

The issue I have is regarding the treatment of these burrs for a capability analysis. An IE is adamant that we should deburr the pre-heat treated parts before conducting any GRR or Process Capability studies. My objection is that our process requires the operator to accept parts as good right after machining. We do not check parts once they come back from heat treat and are deburred. We measure the width using a shadow gage block and I know from a previous study that the burrs on the part edges cause a higher than actual reading for the part.

Any thoughts on how I should proceed with this situation. Thanks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
K

kaushikb

I would suggest you do deburr pre-heat treat, because deburring after heat treat is not effective to remove the burrs. I agree with your IE. Also, I would suggest incorporating in-process check by the operators to check for burrs after the machining process.

As you have mentioned "My objection is that our process requires the operator to accept parts as good right after machining. We do not check parts once they come back from heat treat and are deburred." I completely disagree with you. When you are not checking if your making good parts and your assuming them to be good and you catch the problem at final, then I suggest stop production. There is no point making parts when they are not good.

I don't know what you mean by your process requires the operator to accept parts as good right after machining. So my question to you here is "if your operator doesn't check the parts for its features or burrs, but parts are bad do you mean they still have to pass the parts even without inspecting?

Also, I am wondering hoe come your company does not check parts post heat treat. According to me your process lacks inspection, if you incorporate in-process inspection I am pretty sure your operators will be able to adjust the process. Also, for the burrs better check your tool life. Perform a study over a period of time to check burrs.

You will never show capable if you do not make extra effort to adjust your process.

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Could you set an interm production parameter to measure to, which would include the burr and its variablitly? I see it as two parts. The WIP part which is fresh off the machine and the finished part after heat treat and deburing. If your looking at the capability of the machining process only, then it seems to me you need a dimension to hit which will be different then the dimension after the entire compeleted process. Good luck.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Generally I see two approaches - measure the dimension in an area where the burr is not present or deburr prior to measuring. Since the final dimension is a deburred dimension, MMC including the burr is not relevant - the base material dimension is. If there was not deburring anywhere in the process, then the burr would count.

Since you are heat treating, data on the base dimension before and after is key. The burr holds no valuable data to gage pre- and post-heat treat results.

As far as deburring before or after heat treat - it depends. There is no one answer. Depends on the material, how hard it is, how large the burrs are. Some burrs break off better brittle after heat treat, some become so strong they are a permanent part of the piece.

A

Ajgupta

Re: Burrs and Process Capability

Yes. GRR was conducted before and after deburring. 1st GRR was inadequate due to additional variability of burrs on readouts. Deburring and then conducting GRR was needed to prove parts out.

A

Ajgupta

The disagreement was over whether we should check machine capability or process capability. Deburring the parts before HT for the capability study negates the alpha and beta risks associated with the parts production. I want to include that in the capability study and the IE doesnt.

I understand how the process is inadequate in its current stage. I will be conducting a before and after deburr capability study pre heat treat and then compare it to post heat treat. In a nutshell, the argument was over whether we should take best case scenario for a capability analysis or conduct it in real life conditions.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
I understand how the process is inadequate in its current stage. I will be conducting a before and after deburr capability study pre heat treat and then compare it to post heat treat. In a nutshell, the argument was over whether we should take best case scenario for a capability analysis or conduct it in real life conditions.
Is the process inadequate because you want to machine a burr-free product and eliminate deburring? Or, do you always expect your process to include deburring?

As far as alpha and beta risks, those are primarily judged after the final state - heat treat and deburred. Now, at that point you deburring process capability is key, and measure over any remaining burrs after deburring is recommended as an MMC condition (especially if fit is an issue) - unless the print states otherwise.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Shelf Life of Mineral Oil USP (put on cutting burrs before shipping) Manufacturing and Related Processes 19
A Gage Block Repair - What type of stone is acceptable for removing burrs General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
S Countersink Tools - Burrs on the bottom and at the top of the holes Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
C Kaizen Events - Factors Affecting Failure Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 13
V Replaced part affecting service life? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
J FAI per AS9102 affecting Fit, Form, Function AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
K Malware affecting my computer operation After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 19
M Document Changes not affecting the process - Adding Logos, etc. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
D Changes in Master Data affecting Controlled Copies of Specifications Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
T Is the Current Economic Climate affecting your Company? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 17
Marc Is the cost of energy (gasoline, electricity, natural gas, etc) affecting you? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 24
M Statistical techniques for determining which factors are affecting the yield? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
1 Should I be concerned about Sarbanes-Oxley requirements affecting my ISO9001:2000 QMS Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
N New (Upgraded Technology) vs Existing Equipment - Measurements Shift Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
E MSA Study on MTS dynamic rate measurements Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
Q Measurements after Calibration Expiry General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
chris1price Error in data recording - Recording measurements in SAP Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
G How many Uncertainty Measurements for Micrometers and Calipers? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
BHobbs_Busche All Measurements taken with a Variable Gage have to be Recorded 100% IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
T GR&R Data from Caliper Measurements APQP and PPAP 3
L Color measurements R&R: what's wrong with white? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
R Standard for Rounding Measurements for Labels Other Medical Device Related Standards 9
M 10 parts, 3 operators, 3 measurements GR&R study tolerance question Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
C Uncertainty measurements for a 6 inch caliper Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 11
C MU (Uncertaincy of Measurements) definition and MU Factors Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
C Measurements of Major Diameters of plug thread gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
J Can some measurements be considered information only and not need calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
C Chamfer Measurements - Do you measure the height and width or the hypotenuse? Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
5 Number of 'significant digits' in measurements Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 31
S TL 9000 Certified Companies - REMINDER - TL 5.0 Measurements Effectivity - July 2013 TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 1
S US and Metric Measurements in same Document Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
P Uncertainty of Measurements for Adhesive Weights for Peel Testing Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
G Improve final GR&R value by taking average of more measurements? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
R Using Curve Fits and Predictions in place of good old Measurements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
CycleMike 7.6.1 - ".....type of measurements system" and Plug Go/NoGo gages IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
R Procedure for Measurement Uncertainty Estimation for Electrical Measurements Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
C The Dreaded Uncertainty Measurements - Confidence in your results Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
T Implementing SPC - Control Chart for Individual Measurements Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
C Building a Dimensional Metrology Laboratory to Inspect various Physical Measurements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S Is it alright to let the supplier do all measurements and inspection? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
J TL9000 Common Measurements - Design and Development for Telecommunication Products TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 5
C Referencing or Using a Master Part to take Measurements Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
K Measurements - Sphere in contact with a plane General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
V Importance of Replicate Trials/Measurements in DOE Trials Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
F Supplier Measurements vs. Incoming (Receiving) Measurements Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 16
D Gauge Analysis with 2 Complimentary Measurements Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Q Shipping Measurements (Measurables) other than On-Time Delivery ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
P Not Enough Resolution for Gage R&R - 79" Panel Length Measurements Help Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
Mr.Happy PPAP including FAI Parts - Customer is requiring 5000 measurements APQP and PPAP 15
K Are Surveys and Interviews considered Objective Measurements? Internal Auditing 25