Buy American Act - COTS confusion

qu1nn

Involved In Discussions
Would you consider the following sub-assembly compliant to the Buy American Act (BAA) (41 USC 8301+ and FAR Subpart 25.1):
purchase commercial off the shelf components (COTS) such as resistors, capacitors, various ics and then solder them into an "electronics assembly" that is used in an end product?

Thanks for your time
qu1nn

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
What I understand about the Buy American Act (assuming you are doing Government work) is that at least 75% or 85% of the parts in the assembly/final product need to be from American sources. I could be wrong here. But that is how I understood it.

Your options could be talk with your Contracts' personnel and/or if this is a Defense contract contact your ACO for clarification.

Just my opinion.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Jim,

It is usually in the FAR/DFAR which is part of the Government Contract. So, it would be a Customer requirement in my opinion.
My mistake, Jim. The poster has already stated it is a Customer request.

qu1nn: Do you know if your customer is the tier to the Government?

qu1nn

Involved In Discussions
The customer is a distriubutor, but by the comment in the request " in order for us to be able to continue providing your products to our government customers it is necessary"
....would suggest a requirement.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
The customer is a distriubutor, but by the comment in the request " in order for us to be able to continue providing your products to our government customers it is necessary"
....would suggest a requirement.
Have you described your issue to the customer and asked them for guidance? If not, that's what you need to do.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
somashekar BAA (Buy American Act) and the future of Asian Economy Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 15
T Need advice on what inspection equipment to buy. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
B Should I buy IEC 62304:2006, IEC 62304:2006/AMD 1:2015 or both? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Ajit Basrur Buy a hearing aid without a prescription Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
G Where to buy Template / sample SCSMS Manual, checklist Supply Chain Security Management Systems 1
J Disappointed in leadership buy-in to QMS Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 68
M Who needs a MDEL? How to buy and sell medical devices on my own Canada Medical Device Regulations 14
T Was Just told we could ONLY buy material for AS9100 customers if the DISTRIBUTION house is AS9100 / AS9120 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
G DFMEA buy-in strategies for Design Engineers APQP and PPAP 22
Marc Buy-Sell Forum Cleaned Up - 20181029 Buy, Sell or Trade - NO Commercial Advertisements 0
G Where to buy Medical Grade Transformer IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 12
P How to have employees buy-in of quality procedures. Best practices? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
H AS9100D Cert question - Small machine shop - Where can I buy a certificate? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
V IATF 16949 - Buy PDF copy IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
C Where to buy the latest MHLW, Canada MDR, Brazil medical device regulations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
Marc Where do you buy your ISO and other various standards? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
Fender1 Operator process buy-in - how to get it? Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
ernieto Where can I buy ISO-15223-1 CD with graphic symbols? Other Medical Device Related Standards 13
I Where to buy ISO 10001, 10002, 10003 & 10004 (latest) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
J Where to buy English translation of Chinese Standard GB/T 14233 China Medical Device Regulations 8
M Terms "Customer-directed sources" and "Directed-Buy" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
B Where can I buy the ISO 9001:2015 Standard in pdf? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D TS16949 requirements for for Directed Buy Customers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
S Gage Block Verification or buy a new set (cost aspect) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Where to buy ISO 3951-1 and ISO 3951-2 standard copy Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
M Where to buy AIAG Manuals ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 2
M Start New Machine Shop OR BUY Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 9
D Where to buy "canned" Medical Device QMS Procedures and Documents IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 12
C Implementing ISO 9001 - Getting whole team buy-in? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
M Where to buy various VDA Sandards VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
Douglas E. Purdy Where to buy Little Red Arrow Stickers Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
P When do parts have to be released? When we accept order, buy from CM or when we ship? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D First Part Buy Off for Machining Programs Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Where to buy IEC60601-1 Symbols IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
N Wanna Buy a Parrot? (joke) Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 6
S Which Manual Vision System to Buy Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
N Government Help to Clean Up Credit to Buy A House? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 24
P Where to buy ISO 13485:2012 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
E Where to Buy IEC 62304 Software Life Cycle IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 7
P Which Medical Device Standards to Buy IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
S IEC 60601-1 3rd Gap analysis template TO BUY - Does anyone know where? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
J Where to buy standards such as IEC 62366:2007 Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
S Where to buy EN9130? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
Colin Which Tablet PC to buy? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 74
D Design History File (DHF) - Buy-For-Resell Products 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
K Measurement Equipment with Electronic Data Collection - What type to buy? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
D Promoting Company Wide Quality Drive - Getting Employee Buy In Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 15
G ISO 14040/44 - Are these 2 seperate documents and where to buy? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
K Where to buy ISO/IEC 17025:2005 ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
Z Which CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) to buy? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3