Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Buy American Act - COTS confusion

qu1nn

Involved In Discussions
Would you consider the following sub-assembly compliant to the Buy American Act (BAA) (41 USC 8301+ and FAR Subpart 25.1):
purchase commercial off the shelf components (COTS) such as resistors, capacitors, various ics and then solder them into an "electronics assembly" that is used in an end product?

Thanks for your time
qu1nn

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Staff member
Super Moderator
What I understand about the Buy American Act (assuming you are doing Government work) is that at least 75% or 85% of the parts in the assembly/final product need to be from American sources. I could be wrong here. But that is how I understood it.

Your options could be talk with your Contracts' personnel and/or if this is a Defense contract contact your ACO for clarification.

Just my opinion.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Staff member
Super Moderator
Jim,

It is usually in the FAR/DFAR which is part of the Government Contract. So, it would be a Customer requirement in my opinion.
My mistake, Jim. The poster has already stated it is a Customer request.

qu1nn: Do you know if your customer is the tier to the Government?

qu1nn

Involved In Discussions
The customer is a distriubutor, but by the comment in the request " in order for us to be able to continue providing your products to our government customers it is necessary"
....would suggest a requirement.

Jim Wynne

Super Moderator
The customer is a distriubutor, but by the comment in the request " in order for us to be able to continue providing your products to our government customers it is necessary"
....would suggest a requirement.
Have you described your issue to the customer and asked them for guidance? If not, that's what you need to do.

Top Bottom