Buying a competitors product for SE testing

image182

Involved In Discussions
Following on from a thread on Linkedin which I thought was interesting I thought I would pose the question here to see if anyone had any different thoughts...

https://www.linkedin.com/groups/78665/78665-6148148494357053442

It seems as if some people think that comparative testing is not required to demonstrate substantial equivalence.

For the flowchart in the FDA's guidance document, decision 4 states:

"do the different technological characteristics of the devices raise different questions of safety and effectiveness?"

To answer this question we always performed comparative testing and then used the t-test or anova to show that the results obtained for that test are substantially equivalent.

Therefore, we have always had to resort to buying competitor products from ebay in order to do comparative testing between them.

I cannot understand how we would be able to prove substantial equivalence without performing comparative testing?

Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

:thanx:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I personally can't help, but here is a quick "Bump" - My Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this one.

mihzago

Trusted Information Resource
In my opinion and experience, you do not have to submit comparative or side-by-side testing. It's great if you can, but that only works if you have access to the predicate and your device is nearly identical to the predicate. Many times that is not an option, nor a requirement.

To compare you device to a predicate, select characteristics, features, and parameters. Some can be compared without testing by qualitative means, for example, intended use, indications, target population, anatomical site, etc.
For quantitative characteristics you can use guidance documents, standards or accepted industry specifications (biocompatibility, electrical/mechanical safety), or frequently the competitor will post specs that have specific values or parameters. Once you have those, you can test your device to show that it meets these specs.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C FDA Establishment registration - Buying some medical devices from another manufacturer Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
C ASL - Buying from unqualified manufacturers through qualified distributors Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
Ed Panek Inactive key supplier question - We are not actively buying from them ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
D ISO 9001:2015 Clause 8.4.3 "Information for External Providers" buying from online retailers. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
E Buying Radiopaque Dyes for IQC Testing Purposes Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
N Can I Get a Tax Break for Buying my First Home in 2016? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
JoCam Buying and selling Class I and II medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C Are Refurbished Laptops worth buying? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 9
T Previews before buying standards? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 7
I New AIAG CQI guidelines published - Are they worth buying? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
D Buying a Temperature and Humidity Device, and Calibration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
K What to look for when buying non-inventory products such as Gas & Electricity Service Industry Specific Topics 2
D Buying the ISO 9001:2008 Handbook for Small Businesses ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
L Calibration - Buying New Tools - How do you determine the next calibration date? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
L What is OS1634/2004? Customer from OMAN buying Lubricating Oil IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
smryan Analytical Scale - Seeking brand and buying advice General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
S Verniers - Looking for feedback on buying from Insize.com General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Howard Atkins A search can save money - Buying Standards Imported Legacy Blogs 5
P Where can I take a peek at ASTM standards without buying? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
Ted Schmitt Outsourced Process or Purchased Product - Buying OEM Valves ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
GStough What is your favorite source for buying more RAM? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 33
Scott Catron Tape-less digital video camera buying advice After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
ScottK Buying an older version of Minitab - are they available? Using Minitab Software 2
Le Chiffre Anything to be aware of when buying "re-titled" ISO standards? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
P CE technical file - Buying Surgical Mask from China ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
apestate Where to buy standards? Best bang for buying standards buck Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 4
P Buying a standard is cheap in India Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 25
Marc Thinking of buying a Dell computer? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 22
S 7.4 - Excluding the buying process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
P AS9100 Verification of purchases - Metals stockist buying directly from mills AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
L Measuring Equipment, Which Manufacturers? Buying All New Laboratory Gages - Devices General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Marc Buying Customer Scrap because of poor internal procedures Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 23
Howard Atkins When Buying Standards, Shop Around IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Marc Buying ISO 14001 in pdf Format Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 11
M Buying books at lowest price and selling used books - Recommendations? Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 8
J Gage Pin Quality - Buying new pin sets cheaper than calibrating our current sets General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
C Buying Minitab / other SPC or Statistical software Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 8
Marc Canned Documentation - Buying Forms and Procedures - Are the worth it? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
M How Supplier Capacity check is done by competitors Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
qualprod In ISO 9000, Standard vocabulary - Competitors , interested parties? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
N Does FDA allow comparing with the competitors Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
L Game Changer - Standing Apart from our Competitors Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
ScottK Including competitors' information in a documentation system Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 17
B Internal Auditor Competency - Product Auditors Internal Auditing 9
T PFMEA and Control Plans on legacy product FMEA and Control Plans 5
P FDA Approved Product Contact Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S AS9120B - 8.5.2 Delivering Split Product AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
S Classification of a product according to MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
optomist1 Informational Training IMDS - Management of Product Chemical Regulatory Compliance RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
L AS9100 - Product and Service Provision 8.5.1q AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6