Buying a Temperature and Humidity Device, and Calibration

D

DGShane

We need to get a temperature and humidity measuring device that can be calibrated and/or verified initially and annually while we do the rest of our calibrations on equipment. ?Does anyone have a suggestion about what device or devices that we can use that will not break the bank?

BradM

Leader
Admin
Hello there!:bigwave: Welcome to the Cove; and thanks for dropping by. :)

Is this something that can record, or just indicate?

Actually, the White Box recorder from Omega has always been quite good for recording (paper) temperature and humidity.

For just indication, Rotronic handhelds (with Humicap) have been excellent.

NOTE: When I state "good" and "excellent", that means they pass calibration with little/no problems, and they give very little maintenance issues.

But, they are not the cheapest.

It will depend on your tolerances too. If your tolerance is loose, you can buy something inexpensive and be good. If it's tighter (like 5%; 1C area) then you may have problems with inexpensive units that are advertised a lot. :)

D

dv8shane

We need to get a temperature and humidity measuring device that can be calibrated and/or verified initially and annually while we do the rest of our calibrations on equipment. ?Does anyone have a suggestion about what device or devices that we can use that will not break the bank?
Take a look at these https://www.dicksondata.com/products/TM320 with software https://www.dicksondata.com/products/A026 It is what I am looking at as a possible replacement for my paper recorder

D

DGShane

Hello there!:bigwave: Welcome to the Cove; and thanks for dropping by. :)

Is this something that can record, or just indicate?

Actually, the White Box recorder from Omega has always been quite good for recording (paper) temperature and humidity.

For just indication, Rotronic handhelds (with Humicap) have been excellent.

NOTE: When I state "good" and "excellent", that means they pass calibration with little/no problems, and they give very little maintenance issues.

But, they are not the cheapest.

It will depend on your tolerances too. If your tolerance is loose, you can buy something inexpensive and be good. If it's tighter (like 5%; 1C area) then you may have problems with inexpensive units that are advertised a lot. :)
My tolerances are loose. We are currently using a temperature and humidity gauge that cost us around $12, and it would work fine except that it is obviously not calibrated and can not be calibrated. Our auditor said that was a problem, but we dont want to spend hundreds of dollars, if we can help it.
Any ideas?

BradM

Leader
Admin
My tolerances are loose. We are currently using a temperature and humidity gauge that cost us around $12, and it would work fine except that it is obviously not calibrated and can not be calibrated. Our auditor said that was a problem, but we dont want to spend hundreds of dollars, if we can help it.
Any ideas?

Hello there!:bigwave:

Well... I don't have much to offer in that price range. I hope this does not come out wrong :eek:, but I simply would not bother with measurement equipment in that price range. The Dickson that dv8shane recommended above would be the starting point.

Most very inexpensive equipment is just that... it's made for almost a reference type setup; a one-time measurement; etc. If you need something that people can calibrate, get reproduceable readings and such, you're going to spend a couple of hundred bucks for it.

Also of consideration is calibration costs. I would get two or three different kinds that you're interested in, and call the local calibration source to see how much they would charge for service. Also ask if they can perform adjustments on the unit. Sometimes depending on who makes it, they can't make adjustment; only the mfg. can. And... that typically means $$$. :)

Just keep in mind there are three costs here, the cost of purchasing the unit, the cost for calibration, and the value of the data you are wanting to record. :)

R

Rand T

We used a Rotronic for many years and it worked well. I needed a portable unit that could be taken to the manufacturing floor as needed to measure elevated temperatures and humidity. This may be overkill if you just need to record the ambient conditions of your inspection areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

RogerG

One of my clients is using an inexpensive Veriteq device. It records to memory and is downloaded to a computer as needed. The device can be calibrated - we chose to buy two so one is in use when the other is off for cal.

J

Jason Dodds

Hello all, in our ISO class 8 environmentally controlled room we used (broken link removed) and it worked great.

-Jason

F

falconer65

We use Onset Computer Corporations U12-012. It uses a user replaceable battery that lasts about a year. Cost with software was under $200. I have ours set up for 10 minute measurement intervals and it can record up to two months.

Top Bottom