C=0 vs. AQL MIL Standard 105 E - Sampling Plans

C

carryn1

I am trying to understand C=0 sampling plan. My customer is requesting me to refer to MIl stand 105E . I kind of confuse, since C=0 mean zero defective . assume i carry out level 2 inspection. Why i need refer to AQL still ? can't I just reject the lot whenver defect detected regardless the lot size & AQL ?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

rexch

Re: C=0 Vs AQL MIl standard 105 E

It is insane just give "C=0" as a sample plan. It means no critical issue is allowed. But normal issues must be determined. Cause if normal issue is not allowed in any sample plan, the rework cost is going to be insane. Just IMO.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I am trying to understand C=0 sampling plan. My customer is requesting me to refer to MIl stand 105E . I kind of confuse, since C=0 mean zero defective . assume i carry out level 2 inspection. Why i need refer to AQL still ? can't I just reject the lot whenver defect detected regardless the lot size & AQL ?
What your customer undoubtedly wants is for you to use 105E to determine sample quantities, but to disregard the associated accept/reject numbers and reject a lot whenever a nonconforming thing is encountered.

Tim Folkerts

Trusted Information Resource
One thing you could use the Z1.4 (ie MIL-STD-105) for is to "work backwards" to find a sampling plan that corresponds to what you are doing anyway; or corresponds to what you need.

For example, if sampling 32 units sounds good, then you could look in Table II-A (Single sampling plans for normal inspection) and see that a c=0 plan for 32 units is AQL = 0.4 and the code letter is "G".

Looking back at Table I, you could find that "G" corresponds to General inspection level II for any batch up to 280 items. So now you know that for any batch up to 280 items, the C=0, n = 32 sampling plan is indeed AQL 0.4, General Level II, Single Sampling Plan for normal inspection of lots up to 280 units (or it is Level I for lots up to 500; or Level S-2 for any size lots).

Looking ahead to Table X-G, you can find the OC curve for this plan. For example, this plan has a 95% chance of accepting lots with 0.16% nonconforming, and a 5% chance of accepting lots with 8.94% nonconforming. This table lets you determine the actual alpha and beta risks for the plan you are considering.

If the plan you were considering doesn't match your expectation for alpha and beta risk, then you can go back and redo this all for a different row (ie different sample size) in Table II-A.

theva

Involved In Discussions
What your customer undoubtedly wants is for you to use 105E to determine sample quantities, but to disregard the associated accept/reject numbers and reject a lot whenever a nonconforming thing is encountered.
I agree with Jim, some customer much prefer C=0 and sample size aligned with ANSI ASQC Z1.4. Please take note on the sampling switching rule too.

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
I agree with Jim, some customer much prefer C=0 and sample size aligned with ANSI ASQC Z1.4. Please take note on the sampling switching rule too.
Why not just use the square root of N+1 with c=0? Or just 10% of the lot size. Using the sample size from the 105E without the accompanying acc/rej is a misapplication and misuse of the standard.

G

Geoff Withnell

For the best layout of C=0 vs Z1.4 Mil105 plans, see "Zero Acceptance Number Sampling Plans" by Nicholas L. Squeglia. There are advantages to statistically correct c=0 plans, such as low sample size. But very few people are qualified to "just find a plan that matches what they are doing" and know what their results actually mean in terms of AOQL.

Geoff Withnell

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Established a c=0 "AQL" or "RQL" table AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
M Determining c=0 AQL numbers Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
S Justifying the AQL for a Zero (C=0) Acceptance Plan (Medical Device) AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 6
P Why sample size for c=0 sampling plan reduces across the increases of AQL AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 2
A What is a good lot size? We use the C=0 Sampling plans at AQL %1.0 AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 9
M What is the Risk of Using Obsolete Versions of C=0 & ANSI/ ASQ Z1.4 Sampling Plans? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
M Does C=0 strictly mean 1 bad, all bad, all the time? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Douglas E. Purdy C=0 Sampling for Variable Characteristics Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 14
R What to Report when Using C=0 Sampling Plan Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 15
G Sampling Plan according to SAE ARP9013 C=0 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Q Definition C - What the "C" in C=0 Sample Plan means Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 10
M AS9100A (old revision) - Required C=0 sampling plans if sampling was used? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
WCHorn AS9100 and Sampling - ANSI ASQ Z1.4 C=0 Conflict AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
A C=0 and Skip Lot Sampling Plan Relationship Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
V C=0 Zero Acceptance Number Sampling Plan - Question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
A ANSI/ASQ Z1.4 tables for C=0 - Setting up a robust Sampling Inspection Scheme Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
M c=0 Acceptance Sampling Plan similar to the N. Squeglia version Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
L Please Explain Inspection Levels including C=0 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
Q C=0 Sampling Plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
T How to define c=0 Reject Rates Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 14
V C=0 vs. ANSI/ASQC Z1.4 - Part Inspection Sampling Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
R My C=0 sampling failed to detect parts are out of round Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 20
L What does "C" in C=0 mean? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
QChas The Source of "C=0 Sampling Plans Index Values (Associated AQLS)" AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
Marc Zero Acceptance Number Sampling Plan - C=0 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
C Ansi/ASQ Z1.4 C=0 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
C C=O puzzle - What protection does C=0 provide a supplier? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 15
G Has anyone heard of the Squeglia Zero (c=0) Acceptance Sampling Plan? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
C MIL-STD-105E vs MIL-STD-1916 - Is 1916 the same as C=0? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 4
S Setting AQL Levels with Multiple Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
Q Anything higher than AQL 6.5 (ACCEPT/REJECT)? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
S Question regarding AQL - ISO 3951 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
N AS 13004 Control Plan and AQL FMEA and Control Plans 1
S AQL tables: how to read them Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
C What is the Appropriate AQL for Purchased Implantable Devices? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
A % of defects on the whole batch based on result from inspection under AQL Level II Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
U How to pick between ANSI Z1.4 vs. ISO2859-1 for AQL Inspection? What are the major differences? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4
W LTPD, AQL, Ppk and Cpk validation sampling plan table Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
R AQL, Consumer Risk and MA Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
A AQL - How to count samples with defects for each defect class AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 17
T Defining sampling plan for different AQL AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
S ARMY AQL - Requirements which don't have an AQL associated with them Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M AQL table - I need to sample 1250pcs AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
Nicole Desouza Sampling plan for a customer who wants AQL 1.0 (per ANSI Z1.4) AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
V How to interpret AQL sampling tables AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
A AQL sampling bags of parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
I Sampling processes - Who must define the AQL level? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 9
J AQL for Effectiveness Check - What AQL tiers to use on this type of sampling? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
S AQL Inspector's Rule - bring into CQE Exam? Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
N The question asks about sampling plans and AQL Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5