Definition C - What the "C" in C=0 Sample Plan means

Q

QE-Bob in Wisc

Someone asked me what the "C" in C=0 meant, I thought it stood for charachteristic but someone believes that is incorrect but does not have an answeer themselves. Does anyone want to chime in?

Thank in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
Re: C=0 Sample Plan

On one of our customers quality documents, they say "C=AQL sample size per (blah blah), c=0". In this case, they are saying that we are required to AQL sample unless the PO says "per c" or some such.

It is very confusing if you are not VERY careful about case sensitivity.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
A c=0 sample plan is one in which you do a certain number of samples (n). If you have zero failures (c) in those n samples, the test passes. If you have one or more failures, the plan fails. Basically, you stop sampling on the first failure.

Some "famous" c=0 plans include a sample size of 29 (if there are zero failures, I am 90% sure that the failure rate is less than 10%) and 59 (if there are zero failures, I am 95% sure that the failure rate is less than 5%).

Other plans allow you to have a couple of failures out of the number of trials. This reduces false alarm rates but requires a bigger sample size for the same AQL. A c=2 n=100 plan says I sample 100 items, and pass on 0, 1 or 2 failures, reject on 3 or more failures.

rickpaul01

Involved in HankyPanky
Someone asked me what the "C" in C=0 meant, I thought it stood for charachteristic but someone believes that is incorrect but does not have an answeer themselves. Does anyone want to chime in?

Thank in advance.
I believe it goes back to MIL-STD-105 where "c" is defined as "single sample acceptance number". (maybe older) and I suspect it comes from the OC curve. The term "c=0" I think was coined by Nicholas Squeglia. It is defined as a sampling plan which does not allow for the acceptance if any defects are found. It would be disingenuous to try and extract the c from c=0 since the term is "c=0". (To me, it's like asking what the k in kleenex is.)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Why sample size for c=0 sampling plan reduces across the increases of AQL AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 2
M What is the Risk of Using Obsolete Versions of C=0 & ANSI/ ASQ Z1.4 Sampling Plans? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
M Does C=0 strictly mean 1 bad, all bad, all the time? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
L Established a c=0 "AQL" or "RQL" table AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
Douglas E. Purdy C=0 Sampling for Variable Characteristics Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 14
M Determining c=0 AQL numbers Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
R What to Report when Using C=0 Sampling Plan Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 15
G Sampling Plan according to SAE ARP9013 C=0 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
M AS9100A (old revision) - Required C=0 sampling plans if sampling was used? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
S Justifying the AQL for a Zero (C=0) Acceptance Plan (Medical Device) AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 6
WCHorn AS9100 and Sampling - ANSI ASQ Z1.4 C=0 Conflict AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
A C=0 and Skip Lot Sampling Plan Relationship Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
V C=0 Zero Acceptance Number Sampling Plan - Question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
A ANSI/ASQ Z1.4 tables for C=0 - Setting up a robust Sampling Inspection Scheme Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
M c=0 Acceptance Sampling Plan similar to the N. Squeglia version Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
C C=0 vs. AQL MIL Standard 105 E - Sampling Plans Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
L Please Explain Inspection Levels including C=0 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
Q C=0 Sampling Plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
T How to define c=0 Reject Rates Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 14
V C=0 vs. ANSI/ASQC Z1.4 - Part Inspection Sampling Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
A What is a good lot size? We use the C=0 Sampling plans at AQL %1.0 AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 9
R My C=0 sampling failed to detect parts are out of round Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 20
L What does "C" in C=0 mean? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
QChas The Source of "C=0 Sampling Plans Index Values (Associated AQLS)" AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
Marc Zero Acceptance Number Sampling Plan - C=0 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
C Ansi/ASQ Z1.4 C=0 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
C C=O puzzle - What protection does C=0 provide a supplier? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 15
G Has anyone heard of the Squeglia Zero (c=0) Acceptance Sampling Plan? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
C MIL-STD-105E vs MIL-STD-1916 - Is 1916 the same as C=0? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 4
V Sample Size rationale to reduce size and use special levels EU Medical Device Regulations 6
C Sample qualification to be IEC 60601-1 series tested IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
Y DFMEA Sample in Semiconductor FMEA and Control Plans 2
T Cease Production Sample Procedure Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Q Gage Pin Sets? Calibrate/Verify them all or just a sample size? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 22
Quality Runner Continuous monitoring of validated process – sample sizes 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S How to determine sample size to test when the acceptance criteria is x >= Standard value? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
I Mixing tank sample points Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
T Sample size calculation Using Minitab Software 3
C What Theory is MIL-STD-105E Sample Size Code Letters Based on? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
Stefan Mundt AS9100D Engineering sample purchases - Supplier not approved AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
U Determining population defect rate from sample defect rate Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
D Locking Control Limits and SPC Sample Sizes (AIAG/Automotive Requirements) Six Sigma 2
Y FMEA link to Control Plan frequency and sample size FMEA and Control Plans 19
T Noob question regarding sample size Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
S Help needed in choosing the method of calculating the minimum sample size Internal Auditing 12
P Worst case HLD sample for efficacy studies Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
D Estimate Sample Size for very rare event Using Minitab Software 1
M Summative evaluation: how many sample per participant? IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 5
S Determining Sample Size and Method Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 12
C Complaint Return Sample Size Question 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4