Calculating Capability of a process when data is skewed in the upper range

K

Kenwatch

I will start first by thanking everybody who spends their time here trying to solve issues or answer questions. I come here often to find answers to my questions and I have to recognize that this is one of the best sites I could find.
This time, I have an issue where I need your expertize.
I have a process where I collect torque values on a regularly basis (every 2 hours, on a daily basis). I have a value of the torque of 20Nm +/-5Nm. The subject of torque are nuts installed with an air torque gun. This air torque gun gets worn in time and the torque capability decreases in time.
In order for me to get the best out of this gun, I adjust the torque value at the very top of the range and I can use it until it reaches the bottom of the range. If I try to center it from the beginning, the life span is half.
My question is: what would be the correct way to calculate the Cp and Cpk for this process.
I have a colleague who proposes to use an "Upper Cp" and a "Lower Cp" to determine if my data is still OK. I find this weird and I do not think it is the right thing to do. Would you be able to give me some advice?
Thank you,

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Darius

Quite Involved in Discussions
I have a colleague who proposes to use an "Upper Cp" and a "Lower Cp" to determine if my data is still OK. I find this weird and I do not think it is the right thing to do. Would you be able to give me some advice?
Thank you,
Weir :bonk: indeed, a big NO, could be the answer, if as the text of the topic the issue is skewness, the common way is to use non parametric capability indexes or to transform (box, johnson, etc).

This air torque gun gets worn in time and the torque capability decreases in time. In order for me to get the best out of this gun, I adjust the torque value at the very top of the range and I can use it until it reaches the bottom of the range. If I try to center it from the beginning, the life span is half.
If this is the case, the topic should be sort of "capability indexes for process target that change with worn machinery". I wouldn't use transformations nor non parametric CI's. :2cents:INHO the way is to calculate a value at a given time using regression analysis (to say at the end of the life span - a standarized value-) and calculate the Cp or Cpk at such "condition". Donald Wheeler put something like that (with SPC) in one of his site's articles, I readed it 10 years ago but it was something about sales and to show that there was not a change on them.

dickgent

Involved In Discussions
Moving Range Average sounds right to me. Search for Moving Range Average Control Charts. Anyone Else?

all Quality Problems are Communication Problems...

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
This is a classis tool wear situation. none of the traditional approaches are useful.

For calculating a Cpk value the most straightforward way is to treat the distribution as uniform and simply divide the range of observed values by the tolerance. no fancy statistics or modeling necessary. first of all there is no real 'tail' to this distribution so need to 'predict what may be out there' using some statistical model. Secondly even if there were a model it wouldn't include the categorical defects related to not torquing, broken bolts/nuts, etc.

There is a statistical model for the uniform distribution Ppk calculation and I have attached that.

For trending/SPC:
Wheeler's use of regression is OK. the article was published in 1999 in teh free magazine Quality. I have attached it and another article below
You can check out Dr. Wheeler's current offerings at www.spcpress.com

You may find Bob Doering's approach useful. not statistical but it WORKS.

Attachments

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
I would totally avoid the trend chart approach. It doesn't matter to me who wrote about it. It skips the main, significant variation (that which is causing the trend - see total variation equation) and goes to lower level variations (generally measurement error, not process variation). I recommend charting that looks at the actual effect of the trend and reacts to it first!

I prefer not to use the terms Pp and Ppk for a uniform distribution, since they are truly for normal distributions. Also, Ppk is specifically designed to determine of the mean is centered, which is always the case in the uniform distribution. Using Ppu and Ppl alone does not determine centering of the mean, just distance from the spec - which is an entirely different question, not related to the intent of Ppk. Just because you can calculate it doesn't mean it has any value. Besides, for a uniform distribution they are the same. Not only that, the mean has no meaning in a uniform distribution, only the endpoints. A better calculation of capability is (USL-LSL)/(UCL-LCL), where the control limits are the values the process is adjusted between.

My approach is statistical, just different statistics from the Shewhart chart. That is because two very specific statistical limitations of the Shewhart charts are not met with tool wear or drift: randomness and independence. That is why they are not slightly erroneous, but entirely wrong for such applications. In fact, I have data that shows attempting to use X-bar/R or IMR charts for tool wear shows the exact opposite of the true process condition! That not a good tool.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Product Development - When to start calculating Process Capability Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
P Calculating Process Capability from Data of attached spreadsheet Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
D Calculating Upper-CL/Lower-CL and Process Capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
S Process Capability questions - Calculating Cpu using Minitab Six Sigma 6
M Calculating Capability of Delivery Performance Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
B Calculating Capability on a One-Sided Tolerance Dimension Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
B Calculating BMC (best measurement capability) for Fluke 8508A and HP 3458A Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
M Calculating Capability-Subtract Gauge R & R Error? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
C Calculating your KPIs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
K Calculating Heat Dissipation Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Q Calculating Defect Rates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S Formula for Calculating NoGo Major Diameter for UN gages Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
P Calculating a weight for a machine for the CE label CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
R Remote Support - Calculating Number of Employees IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
G Calculating Tolerance of a Panel Meter with a 2 degrees of an Arc General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
T Calculating LCL, UCL, Cp, and Cpk in an Excel Spreadsheet Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
J Calculating Reliability for Subsystems in Series Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 15
Stijloor Calculating (3rd Party) Audit Days for Company with Seasonal Employees General Auditing Discussions 3
T Formulas for Calculating Coefficients for RTD / PRTD Calibration According to ITS-90 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
J Calculating part variation from historic data for GRR study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
P Purpose of calculating Ta, Tb & R Square in Linearity Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
P Purpose of calculating Uncertainty value in calibration study Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
M Calculating MTBF for plug-in PCI cards Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
J Calculating impact force, expressed in lbs, of a 5 lb weight dropped 48 inches Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
M Calculating Cpk when sample size equals to 1 Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
D Calculating Cpk on Non-Normal Data Distribution Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 10
A Calculating Accuracy for a Multimeter General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Calculating Coefficients for an RTD (Resistance Temperature Detector) Probe General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
T Calculating Plating/Coating Weight for IMDS RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
D Calculating Lower and Upper 3 Sigma Control Limits Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
M Calculating Adequate Receiving Inspection Sample Size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
K Advice on Calculating Control Chart Control Limits Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
B Calculating Combined DPMO and Sigma Level for Two or More Different Work Areas Six Sigma 3
G Calculating the Fraction Defective Confidence Interval for a Lot Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
A Calculating Combined Measurement Uncertainty - VDA 5 Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
B Calculating Precision to Tolerance Ratio Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
D DPPM - Calculating the Defect Rate of a Software Test Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
L FMEA - Calculating RPN = S*O*D FMEA and Control Plans 3
I Shewhart Constants vs Central Limit Theorem in calculating Control Limits Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 18
B Please share a template for calculating Cp Cpk Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
S Is a Stable Process (within Control Limits) required for Calculating Pp, Ppk? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
M Calculating the IATF TS 16949 Recertification Audit Man Days - Clarification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J IEC60825 - Laser Safety - Calculating Maximum Permissible Exposure Correctly Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
I AQL Formula in Excel - Calculating Sample Size based on an AQL Chart AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
D Formula for Calculating Warp Measurement of Corrugated Boxes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S Need Help Calculating and Implementing Cs - Wright's Index Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 11
S Calculating an Uncertainty Budget for an Optical Comparator General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
D One-Two-Three Sigma Control Limits - Calculating Control Limits for X-bar Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
K Calculating (Approximate) Parallelism Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
S Calculating MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) for the whole Production Unit Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2