Calculating Capability of Delivery Performance

M

MSPPSB

I am trying to determine the capability (Cpk) of the overall manufacturing process at our facility to deliver on time to our customers. The data will be skewed since the upper limit can be no more than 100%. I did a transformation and ended up with a Fitted Johnson SI. The Cpk ends up .295 using a LSL of 85% and a target of 95%. Does it make sense to use Cpk or look just look at PPM and Sigma level?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

rickpaul01

Involved in HankyPanky
I think you could use CPK if you treated ontime delivery with process/spec limits in days. i.e. 1 day early, one day late...

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
No it doesn't make sense to use Cpk for on time delivery. Think about it from the perspective of those who need to improve it. How does that index provide insight into the level of performance that they can't get from a simple statistic: the average on time delivery for any particular time...you know your audience is just going to transform it back to that statistic anyway because that is a direct understandable measure of performance. Cpk is an abstract indicator.

But the real issue is where do you really want to spend your time: agonizing over an abstract index that only obscures the situation or providing insightful and actionable information on the system. The first analysis I would perform is a simple run chart. Then I would focus my 5 whys, process mapping and lean tools on improving the process that generates the long and variable cycle times.

In improving numerous onetime delivery problems I have never used Cpk and I've never missed it.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Consider using SPAN as a metric. You can use a modified Box Plot to generate SPAN bars and use it both as a metric and a data exploration tool.

Bill McNeese

Involved In Discussions
Good advice from the others. For tracking on-time, I plot the % on-time over time as run chart and include a Pareto diagram for reasons for late deliveries. Your average is what your process is capable of generating, e.g., 95% average on-time.

Your customer base is not homogenous. The probability of a shipment being on-time is not the same for all customers. If you are like most companies, major customers will have priority. Cpk calculations are meaningless here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Product Development - When to start calculating Process Capability Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
K Calculating Capability of a process when data is skewed in the upper range Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
P Calculating Process Capability from Data of attached spreadsheet Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
D Calculating Upper-CL/Lower-CL and Process Capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
S Process Capability questions - Calculating Cpu using Minitab Six Sigma 6
B Calculating Capability on a One-Sided Tolerance Dimension Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
B Calculating BMC (best measurement capability) for Fluke 8508A and HP 3458A Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
M Calculating Capability-Subtract Gauge R & R Error? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
A Calculating Risk Estimation ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 28
G Calculating Ppk for Design Verification - Variable Sampling Design and Development of Products and Processes 15
S Help needed in choosing the method of calculating the minimum sample size Internal Auditing 12
M True position, calculating theoretical distances General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
M Lean: Conducting Capacity Study, calculating Cycle times on laser cutting machines Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
A Calculating Carbon Footprint in the Organization Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
C Calculating your KPIs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
K Calculating Heat Dissipation Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Q Calculating Defect Rates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S Formula for Calculating NoGo Major Diameter for UN gages Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
P Calculating a weight for a machine for the CE label CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
R Remote Support - Calculating Number of Employees IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
G Calculating Tolerance of a Panel Meter with a 2 degrees of an Arc General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
T Calculating LCL, UCL, Cp, and Cpk in an Excel Spreadsheet Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
J Calculating Reliability for Subsystems in Series Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 15
Stijloor Calculating (3rd Party) Audit Days for Company with Seasonal Employees General Auditing Discussions 3
T Formulas for Calculating Coefficients for RTD / PRTD Calibration According to ITS-90 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
J Calculating part variation from historic data for GRR study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
P Purpose of calculating Ta, Tb & R Square in Linearity Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
P Purpose of calculating Uncertainty value in calibration study Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
M Calculating MTBF for plug-in PCI cards Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
J Calculating impact force, expressed in lbs, of a 5 lb weight dropped 48 inches Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
M Calculating Cpk when sample size equals to 1 Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
D Calculating Cpk on Non-Normal Data Distribution Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 10
A Calculating Accuracy for a Multimeter General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Calculating Coefficients for an RTD (Resistance Temperature Detector) Probe General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
T Calculating Plating/Coating Weight for IMDS RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
D Calculating Lower and Upper 3 Sigma Control Limits Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
M Calculating Adequate Receiving Inspection Sample Size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
K Advice on Calculating Control Chart Control Limits Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
B Calculating Combined DPMO and Sigma Level for Two or More Different Work Areas Six Sigma 3
G Calculating the Fraction Defective Confidence Interval for a Lot Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
A Calculating Combined Measurement Uncertainty - VDA 5 Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
B Calculating Precision to Tolerance Ratio Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
D DPPM - Calculating the Defect Rate of a Software Test Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
L FMEA - Calculating RPN = S*O*D FMEA and Control Plans 3
I Shewhart Constants vs Central Limit Theorem in calculating Control Limits Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 18
B Please share a template for calculating Cp Cpk Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
S Is a Stable Process (within Control Limits) required for Calculating Pp, Ppk? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
M Calculating the IATF TS 16949 Recertification Audit Man Days - Clarification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J IEC60825 - Laser Safety - Calculating Maximum Permissible Exposure Correctly Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
I AQL Formula in Excel - Calculating Sample Size based on an AQL Chart AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8