Calibrate before use required? Inspection Gages and Measurement Equipment

J Allen

Involved In Discussions
Although we have regular calibration intervals for calibration of inspection gages, we also require that each inspector calibrate his gages (ie. O.D. Micrometer, caliper, Depth Mic, etc...) prior to inspection. He records the actual value taken in a logbook. Upon auditing the logbook I have found no variation indicating that the gage was out of tolerance and required adjustment. Unless my calibration interval is too long and gages show indications of wear, I don't see the value of performing this calibration of an already calibrated and certified gage.
I have been told that we do this because of some requirement but know one can tell me which one it is. I know it is not customer driven and I am unaware of any ISO/AS requirement.
I don't believe this is a requirement.
Who else does this? Since my gages are calibrated by a recognized source, can I discontinue what I believe is unnecessary.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Re: Calibrate before use required?

First, a few compliments to you.:)
1. You are performing the calibrations and documenting it.
2. You are reviewing the logs.

Are the instruments showing wear when you check them? One of the advantages of doing what you're doing is that you have like 0 impact if a calibration failure.

A couple of thoughts:

1. If youre inspectors are verifying the gauges prior to use, could that suffice in place of the calibration?
2. Maybe you could extend the scheduled calibration cycles?

To your main question, I don't know of any requirement, unless it may be a special customer/ regulatory requirement but I personally (like that means anything :lmao:) sure gives you confidence in the system, and keeps failure investigation ( time and money intensive) to a minimum.

D

Duke Okes

I've never run into a requirement to "calibrate" before use. However, it isn't unusual to standardize/check before use occasionally, where the individual measures a known standard to see if the gage appears to be ok. Perhaps this is what is actually being done, with the addition of recording results.

Randy

Super Moderator

Here's the requirement...

7.6....Where necessary to ensure valid results, measuring equipment shall
a) be calibrated or verified, or both, at specified intervals, or prior to use, against measurement standards traceable to international or national measurement standards;

I'd bet that whoever instituted your procedure did it as a preventive/proactive process to help offset potential nonconformity of product.

Makes perfect sense to me, but then again I'm a licensed aircraft mechanic who has witnessed entire fleets of aircraft grounded because a calibrated tool was found to be out of tolerance and couldn't be traced back to when it might have occurred (We had to ground about 45 UH-1 Helicopters because the torque-multiplier for the main rotor retention nut was found to be about 150 lbs off and that's how many times it had been used on aircraft according to the tool log)....You didn't want the "Jesus-Nut" loose, trust me. It was referred to as the "Jesus-Nut" because if it failed he was the next person you'd see:lol:

J

JaneB

I have been told that we do this because of some requirement but no one can tell me which one it is. I know it is not customer driven and I am unaware of any ISO/AS requirement.
Hooray! You're challenging existing practice. Good for you.

(I can't tell you how many times I've found the answer is 'we do it because we've always done it and no one has ever asked that question before).

J

JaneB

You didn't want the "Jesus-Nut" loose, trust me. It was referred to as the "Jesus-Nut" because if it failed he was the next person you'd see:lol:
Indeed yes. And that's a damned good reason to be doing that calibration. But it is important to ask the question: is this necessary/good idea/good practice? Or not.

J Allen

Involved In Discussions
Exactly the point I was trying to make with Management. I want value added processes being performed. I also want them to understand what is driving them to do these processes. Not because "we have always done this."

FilipeF

Starting to get Involved
If you can demonstrate you do not need to calibrate every time you use the equipment, I believe there will be no problem.

What about if you do some testing:

Measure the same range of things calibrated and not calibrated. Register that and do some comparison. If it shows no deviation, it should be accepted in an audit.

Do remember to test for the wider range of measurements, and assure repeatability. :cool:

J

JaneB

Exactly the point I was trying to make with Management. I want value added processes being performed. I also want them to understand what is driving them to do these processes. Not because "we have always done this."
Just so. When you start getting that embedded into the company culture, you create a foundation in which improvement becomes possible.

J
Although we have regular calibration intervals for calibration of inspection gages, we also require that each inspector calibrate his gages (ie. O.D. Micrometer, caliper, Depth Mic, etc...) prior to inspection. He records the actual value taken in a logbook. Upon auditing the logbook I have found no variation indicating that the gage was out of tolerance and required adjustment. Unless my calibration interval is too long and gages show indications of wear, I don't see the value of performing this calibration of an already calibrated and certified gage.
I have been told that we do this because of some requirement but know one can tell me which one it is. I know it is not customer driven and I am unaware of any ISO/AS requirement.
Who else does this? Since my gages are calibrated by a recognized source, can I discontinue what I believe is unnecessary.
Others have already given you good advise. My only comment relates to the bolded section above.

A "requirement" is only as binding as the document on which it is recorded. If it cannot be produced (documented requirement) then it does not exist, so the idea that you are doing it to comply with some "requirement" simply does not float. If a customer is requiring it then it should be part of a purchase order or contract. If it is a regulatory requirement, there should be a document spelling this out.
It may be that some customer in the past required it and it has just carried forward. :rolleyes:

There may be other reasons (internal) for doing it, but not because of a (external) "requirement".

Peace
James

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Calibrating pin gages - Can we write a procedure "Calibrate before use"? Examples? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
C Calibrate before equipment gets modified? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
I Can I Calibrate On Demand? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
S Calibrating our own equipment, can we? Micrometers to calibrate vernier calipers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
F Crimper Calibration - How do you Control & Calibrate your crimpers? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 13
P How to Calibrate a HP 3458A Digital Multimeter with Fluke 5080A calibrator General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
B Choosing not to calibrate (IATF 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
K New Kilogram - The process we use to calibrate the standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
D How to Calibrate any Digital Sphygmomanometer under use for 2 years in a Hospital Forum News and General Information 1
L Re-calibrate after software update? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
J To Calibrate or not to calibrate electronics rack components Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
T How to Calibrate Taper Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
N Calibrate temperature on refrigerated Centrifuges? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
B Can we calibrate a standard pin with a gauge? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Lesser expensive to calibrate various test weights General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
A How to Calibrate Laser Beam Tester & Radiation Monitor General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D How to Calibrate and Verify a Heating Oven General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
P How do you calibrate a VNA (Vector Network Analyzer) cal kit? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
V How to Calibrate Ring Force Gauges Service Industry Specific Topics 1
bobdoering Who says you can't calibrate a steel rule! Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 14
S How can I Calibrate a Biosafety Cabinet? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
C How to Calibrate a Viscosity Tester General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
0 Is it possible to use a threaded ring gage to calibrate the M8 gage? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 4
C How to Calibrate a Medical Infrared Thermometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
T How do I calibrate NPT Thread Plug Gages? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
E Do you need a Certification to Calibrate Gauges? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
B Calibrate Hole Presence Detection Device? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
J What do you use to Calibrate 40" Calipers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
A Guideline to Calibrate Chamber Temp. & Pressure of a Medical Steam Sterilizer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
S How to calibrate AOI (Automated Optical Inspection) for IOPQ Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
S Laboratory to Calibrate Objective Micrometer needed General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
C Tolerance Estimation of a Load Cell I want to Calibrate General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
D Procedure on How to Calibrate a External Micrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
B ISO/TS 16949 Section 7.6.3 - Use of Manufacturer to Calibrate IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
W How to verify/calibrate a Neptune Water Meter General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
N Laboratory that is able to Calibrate Dew Point Meter up to 60?Cdp - Needed General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
C How to Calibrate and Verify Torque Multiplier Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
C How to calibrate or control patterns for fiberglass General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
N Scale with Internal Calibration - Do I need to calibrate? How to document this? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 8
I Need help finding an Accredited Lab that can Calibrate Brunson 76-RH Survey Transits General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
M Controlling Temperature and Time - Do I need to calibrate the thermostat? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
D How much Tolerance do I use to Calibrate a 150kgs capacity Scale? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
M To Calibrate or Not to Calibrate various Weight Scales ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
N Thermocouple Inhomogeneity - Need to calibrate a roll of 50m thermocouple type K General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
R Traceability for Mercury Argon Calibration Source to Calibrate a Spectrometer? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
P How to Calibrate Laser Micrometer when no Calibration Company in the Country? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
S 3 Point Calibration or Calibrate to Extreme High and Low? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
C Seeking a holder/jig to calibrate large OD micrometer calipers (up to 23") General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
S Is it OK to calibrate a measurement device tighter than manufacturer specifications? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 18
B Difference between Calibration & Verification and How to calibrate Go/No Go gauge? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4