Calibrating Flow Meters - Rotameters that operate with pressurized air

Jerry Eldred

Forum Moderator
Super Moderator
A few vendors that come to mind are Unit Instruments, Brooks Instruments, Sierra, E G & G Flow Technology, Tylan General. There are a few calibrators made by some of these MFC (Mass Flow Controller) vendors. I used to use a small bench top one made by Unit Instruments.

There is a company called Flow Dynamics in Scottsdale AZ that specializes in training people for that type of calibration. Or oyu can also check with the vendor that sells the calibrator.

I recommend getting some training. it is important to be aware of the differences between gases.

If you use your MFC's strictly for Air flow, that makes it a lot easier. But if you are controlling flows on other gases, beware that it gets pretty complicated, and safety is a BIG issue with some gases.

My recommendation is that if all you do is air flow:
1. Go to vendors and select an appropriate standard.
2. Get other hardware installed (gas flow regulator, piped in or bottled gas of appropriate type).
2. Get some training on doing flow calibrations.

If doing other gases, beware.

Also, even if you are doing air, you may want to verify whether or not you need to calibrate them using nitrogen. It may well be that Nitrogen is the required calibration gas for air flow (don't remember for sure). If so, you'll have to weigh out getting set p with a bottle of N2 or having it piped in to your lab.

------------------

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
F

FamilyMan

Calibrating Flow

I am fairly new (less than a year)to the metrology scene and have been given the responsibility to oversee the calibration system at my facility. Currently we are sending out all of our flowmeters to a calibration vendor for certification, but the cost seems to be quite high. Is there a cost effective standard and method that I could use in-house? Most of our flowmeters are rotameters that operate with pressurized air at low flowrates below 1 LPM. Our tolerance requirements are typically +/- 4% full scale. I appreciate any suggestions that could help me.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Calibrating Gagemaker Products General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S Calibrating our own equipment, can we? Micrometers to calibrate vernier calipers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
R Feeler Gauge Calibration - What tolerance is used for calibrating feeler gauges? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
I Tool maintenance and calibration procedure - Calibrating tools/equipment AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
Crusader Interval for Self-Calibrating Measurement Device? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 15
A Calibrating a PRT sensor - Temperature Sensitivity Coefficient General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Calibrating Digital Pressure Gages In-House General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
F OEM has no procedure for calibrating their device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
N Verifying Calibration of Hardness Gauge vs Actually Calibrating It General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
B Problem Calibrating a Krautkramer DMS 2 Ultrasonic Thickness Meter Calibration Frequency (Interval) 2
J Calibrating an 80,000 psi Fluid Pressure Gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
S Calibrating Thermometer with Simulated Output Temperature from Fluke 5520A General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
hogheavenfarm Is there a relatively inexpensive method of Calibrating our Torque Wrenches? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
L Calibrating Tool Makers Personal Tools General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
P Exempt from Calibrating our Tape Measures and Micrometers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 32
L Calibrating a Template Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
C Best Method for Calibrating Multimeters General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
D How much Deviation is Acceptable when Calibrating a Hygrometer? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
K Calibrating Plain Tapered Bores at the Small End Diameter General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
M Calibrating a Weight Scale in a Laboratory Calibration Frequency (Interval) 4
S Calibrating Panel Mounted Pressure Gauges located on Hydraulic Test Stands General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Calibrating a Thermometer for use in Cold Rooms - ISO 9001 Clause 7.6 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
T Hands-On training on calibrating equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
L Calibrating Press Brakes, How to do? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
H Calibrating a Matheson Flowmeter-help appreciated General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Jerry Eldred Calibrating Mitutoyo SJ-201P Surface Roughness Testers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
O Calibrating a Gage Block In-house with Calibrated Digital Calipers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
L Smallest Gage block - What is the smallest gage block for calibrating micrometers? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
S Calibrating a 1/8-27 NPT thread gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
J Calibrating Electronic Equipment Tester Software - ISO 9001 Clause 7.6 Benchmarking 1
M Calibrating 1/2-20 UNF 2B STI Threaded Plug Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
A Calibrating 4" and larger Micrometers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
R Checking (Calibrating) Truncated Thread Set Plugs General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
G Calibrating a reflectometer - Scale uncertainty with reading? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
D Calibrating Lufkin ID Micrometer ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Z Calibrating Sunnen PG800 precision bore gage & PG700 setting fixtures General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
C Gage pin calibration procedure for accurately calibrating gage pins General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 18
Crusader Self-Calibrating Furnace does not require calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 15
B Using & Calibrating Ultrasonic Micrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
M Calibrating Angle Gage Blocks General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R Validation of A Procedure for Calibrating Dial Calipers using Traceable Gauge Blocks General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
J Measurement Uncertainty for Calibrating Custom Check Fixtures with a Portable CMM Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
S Calibrating Biomed equipment in an ISO 17025 accredited calibration laboratory ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
T Calibrating or Verifying Metal or Steel Tape Measures General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 187
T Calibrating the calibrator (torque test) - Electronic torque tester CDI 4001-0-ETT General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
R Calibrating Leak Testers - Old fashioned water tank type tester General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
P Calibrating Density Cups & Viscosity Cups In-House - Seeking Procedure / Help General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R Micrometer resolution for calibrating thread plug gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
J Thread Wire Chart to use when Calibrating a particular size Thread Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
S Calibrating some of our equipment in house - Where do I start? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19