Calibrating or Verifying Metal or Steel Tape Measures

T

trainee

Hello everybody!!!
Does anyone has an example of how a tape measure should be calibrated/verified?
I understand the part of verifying that the tape measure is in good condition, with all readings showing and with no broken edges or tips, but I still don't get the part that I need to use a certified steel rule to calibrate it...Why? and how?
Thanks!!!
Thanks!!!!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jerry Eldred

Forum Moderator
Super Moderator
Re: Calibrating Tape Measures

You use a certified steel rule (precision type, such as sold by Starrett, Mitutoyo, etc.) which is much more accurate than the tape measure.

It is basically the 4:1 uncertainty ratio issue; using a higher accuracy standard. That is why you use the steel rule.

The how depends on what procedure you use. Typically, you check a variety of increments along the length of the tape measure from short to medium to long, check that the end tab accuracy is in spec., check for still visible graticules on the tape measure.

Some tape measure manufacturers are infamous for inconsistent accuracies between graticules because it is painted. That is the biggest issue. Wear and tear of the tape measure, stretching (a more minor issue), and loosening of the end tab (which makes measurements erratically inaccurate).

Essentially you certify a tape measure for the same reasons you certify anything. But as outlined above, those are some of the particulars of issues tape measures have (in my experience).

G

Grizz1345

Here:) is my work instruction for checking tape measures. Important that the hook on the end move freely for correct measurement inside and outside.

1 Examine the tape for any external damages or other obvious signs of abuse or wear that may affect the accuracy or function.
2 Clean all surfaces to remove oil and/or any foreign material.
3 Set 40” vernier on a flat counter top or surface plate.
4 Grasp each end of vernier with mic stands to sustain vernier with jaws towards you.
5 Pull tape to desired length. While butting up against inside of vernier jaw, read inside of opposite vernier jaw.
6 Next, while hooking on outside of vernier jaw, read outside of opposite vernier jaw.
7 Always finish reading on the same side of graduates.
8 Document the “as-found” condition on the calibration form.
9 Repeat above 4 steps again at a different length to conclude calibration.

Note:
Accuracy of tapes shall be ± 1/32” (.031”).
Scheduled re-calibration of tapes will require a dimensional report

Hope this all helps.

P

Phil Fields

Before you go investing time, money and frustration in calibrating tape measures, what are you measuring, what tolerance are you trying to hold? Is the tape measure graduated in such a way to accurately measure to the tolerance specified? Is the tape measure used more a reference tool?
Phil

Frank T.

Involved in Discussions

I had an AS auditor tell me that I don't have to calibrate tape measures or rulers because they are reference measuring instruments and can not be precision measuring instruments. So there was no need to have them calibrated. Is he/she wrong.

P

Phil Fields

All of our tape measure are all considered FOR REFERNCE ONLY per our proceudre. This works OK with the auditors.

T

trainee

I use them for referece more than anything. My critical characteristics are weight and thickness, and no lenght. But the QA department considers that all measurement instruments must be calibrated...
In my opinion is the characteristic measured is not critical, and the instrument is not used to reference values that will affect the quality of the product, the instrument should not be calibrated...Am I right?
And Thanks everybody for the quick responses!

J

John Nabors - 2009

If it doesn't affect product quality, it does not have to be calibrated IMHO.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Verifying Calibration of Hardness Gauge vs Actually Calibrating It General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
F Calibrating Taper Sleev/Plug Gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
F Calibrating Gagemaker Products General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S Calibrating our own equipment, can we? Micrometers to calibrate vernier calipers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
R Feeler Gauge Calibration - What tolerance is used for calibrating feeler gauges? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
I Tool maintenance and calibration procedure - Calibrating tools/equipment AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Crusader Interval for Self-Calibrating Measurement Device? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 15
A Calibrating a PRT sensor - Temperature Sensitivity Coefficient General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Calibrating Digital Pressure Gages In-House General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
F OEM has no procedure for calibrating their device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
B Problem Calibrating a Krautkramer DMS 2 Ultrasonic Thickness Meter Calibration Frequency (Interval) 2
J Calibrating an 80,000 psi Fluid Pressure Gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
S Calibrating Thermometer with Simulated Output Temperature from Fluke 5520A General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
hogheavenfarm Is there a relatively inexpensive method of Calibrating our Torque Wrenches? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
L Calibrating Tool Makers Personal Tools General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
P Exempt from Calibrating our Tape Measures and Micrometers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 32
L Calibrating a Template Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
C Best Method for Calibrating Multimeters General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
D How much Deviation is Acceptable when Calibrating a Hygrometer? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
K Calibrating Plain Tapered Bores at the Small End Diameter General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
M Calibrating a Weight Scale in a Laboratory Calibration Frequency (Interval) 4
S Calibrating Panel Mounted Pressure Gauges located on Hydraulic Test Stands General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Calibrating a Thermometer for use in Cold Rooms - ISO 9001 Clause 7.6 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
T Hands-On training on calibrating equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
L Calibrating Press Brakes, How to do? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
H Calibrating a Matheson Flowmeter-help appreciated General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Jerry Eldred Calibrating Mitutoyo SJ-201P Surface Roughness Testers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
O Calibrating a Gage Block In-house with Calibrated Digital Calipers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
L Smallest Gage block - What is the smallest gage block for calibrating micrometers? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
S Calibrating a 1/8-27 NPT thread gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
J Calibrating Electronic Equipment Tester Software - ISO 9001 Clause 7.6 Benchmarking 1
M Calibrating 1/2-20 UNF 2B STI Threaded Plug Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
A Calibrating 4" and larger Micrometers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
R Checking (Calibrating) Truncated Thread Set Plugs General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
G Calibrating a reflectometer - Scale uncertainty with reading? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
D Calibrating Lufkin ID Micrometer ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Z Calibrating Sunnen PG800 precision bore gage & PG700 setting fixtures General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
C Gage pin calibration procedure for accurately calibrating gage pins General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 18
Crusader Self-Calibrating Furnace does not require calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 15
B Using & Calibrating Ultrasonic Micrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
M Calibrating Angle Gage Blocks General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R Validation of A Procedure for Calibrating Dial Calipers using Traceable Gauge Blocks General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
J Measurement Uncertainty for Calibrating Custom Check Fixtures with a Portable CMM Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
S Calibrating Biomed equipment in an ISO 17025 accredited calibration laboratory ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
T Calibrating the calibrator (torque test) - Electronic torque tester CDI 4001-0-ETT General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
R Calibrating Leak Testers - Old fashioned water tank type tester General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
P Calibrating Density Cups & Viscosity Cups In-House - Seeking Procedure / Help General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R Micrometer resolution for calibrating thread plug gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
J Thread Wire Chart to use when Calibrating a particular size Thread Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
S Calibrating some of our equipment in house - Where do I start? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19