Calibration and Control - Need help with plug, ring, and thread plug gages

T

timoth

hi,

I am looking for procedure to calibrate go no go plug gages,ring gages, thread plug gages.

Also I would like suggestions on how to manage a calibration database?
We do not have gagetrak but I created an Access database.

It is killing me to update this database and to control the gages. We are a manufacturing facility and the gages get lost. Different areas use one another's gages. how could one have a better control? We outsource most of our calibration requirements but we want to start calibrating some simple gages.

please help.

thanks
tim

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

DietCokeofEvil

Trusted Information Resource
For calibration, what kind of equipment do you have? Procedures will generally tell you WHAT you need to calibration, not necessarily how.

S

Sfree

Hello,
I am new to the physical dimensional area and have been tasked to calibrate thread ring gages using the Labmaster Universal. Does anyone have experience with using this method to calibrate thread ring gages? I have been getting consistently high readings and was wondering if anyone can comment or share any tips. We did get training from P&W on the machine but they acknowledge that this is the most challenging application to make measurements on and that it does take some touch to get good readings.

Thanks,

CalRich

Involved In Discussions
Hello,
I am new to the physical dimensional area and have been tasked to calibrate thread ring gages using the Labmaster Universal. Does anyone have experience with using this method to calibrate thread ring gages? I have been getting consistently high readings and was wondering if anyone can comment or share any tips. We did get training from P&W on the machine but they acknowledge that this is the most challenging application to make measurements on and that it does take some touch to get good readings.

Thanks,
If you are trying to calibrate adjustable thread rings with the Labmaster, you're going at it the wrong way. The internal thread of these rings becomes (at least over time) egg-shaped, and so a linerar device is not suitable. Adjustable thread rings should be set with Class W master set thread plugs. It's been my experience that many companies do not have an adequate inventory of set plugs for the calibrations of their rings. Even amongst commercial calibration labs, there is often a lack of adequate set plugs to satisfy the needs of all of the rings. Rings should be set to a set plug of the same size and pitch diameters (as well as RH vs. LH, etc.). Be cautious of trying to simply set rings to gage balls as this only checks the minor diameter, and not too well at that.

Now, if we're talking solid thread rings, equipment like the Labmaster or other univeral measuring machines can technically calibrate solid thread rings. It's a tricky business and usually the measurement uncertainty (if calculated) greatly exceeds the tolerances. We tried them at a lab I worked at, but we could get any reading we wanted. I would suggest performing some statistical studies and perhaps sending to other labs for verification of your results.

Good luck.

J

jfgunn

Calrich is absolutely correct. Remember adjustmeable thread rings aren't round.

We also have a Labmaster Universal and originally purchased it with the accessories for thread rings. We sent the box of these fixtures back to P&W and got our $5,000 back.

Set plugs are the way to go!

Wayne

Gage Crib Worldwide

Wayne

Gage Crib Worldwide
I ... have been tasked to calibrate thread ring gages using the Labmaster Universal. Does anyone have experience with using this method to calibrate thread ring gages? I have been getting consistently high readings and was wondering if anyone can comment or share any tips. We did get training from P&W on the machine but they acknowledge that this is the most challenging application to make measurements on and that it does take some touch to get good readings.
I would advise against that method for measuring American Gage Design (AGD) Adjustable Screw Thread Ring Gages for several reasons.

First, it is not authorized by the ANSI/ASME thread gage standards.
Second, measurements taken will not match the size of the ring as it was set on a set plug due to some out-of-roundness of the ring gage.
Third, adjustments made to the ring gage will result in an undetectable out-of-tolerance condition.

I have much exact detail, references to the gage standard, and a real life story posted at: Ring Gage Calibration by Direct Measurement.

I hope this information will be helpful to you.

B

bobhall

I have been a Calibration Tech for over 15 years now and have developed some systems to control gages. Such labeling, using containers and color coding. We currenty have over 1200 active gages per month and are able to keep our missing gage number to under 4. Where are you located?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Do Process gauges need to be in Calibration control system? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
Fernando Drumond Calibration and Control of Plastic Volumetric Measurement Instruments General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
F Crimper Calibration - How do you Control & Calibrate your crimpers? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 13
S Calibration vs "Golden Part" ("Control Sample") General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
A Calibration Interval - AS9100 - Control of Monitoring and Measuring Equipment Calibration Frequency (Interval) 8
I Gage Block Calibration/Measurement Control Question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
H Measurement System in Control if the Equipment requires Daily Calibration? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S Control of the Content in the Master Calibration Equipment form Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D ISO/TS 16949 Calibration Control and Process Improvement IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
L Control of Calibration as an Outsourced Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Inspection Kits for Each Customer Part: Calibration and Asset Control? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
N Inventory, Calibration, Maintenance Docs. etc. - Do these Documents require control? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
R ISO 17025 section 4.9 - Control of Nonconforming Testing and Calibration Work ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
P Koslow Scientific Metal Test Kit - Control and Calibration Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
M Control of Manufacturers Calibration Procedures General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
Q Internal Testing and Calibration Laboratories - MSA, Gage R&R and Control Plans IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
3 Calibration Frequency - Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices - Clause 7.6 Calibration Frequency (Interval) 14
D Control of M&TE - Clear distinction between VERIFICATION, CHECKING, and CALIBRATION General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
D On-site Calibration Environmental Control - Is there a correction factor? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
B ISO 13485 Calibration Requirements - Requiring a Documented Procedure for control? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Calibration of Digital thermometer with surface probe General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T Calibration or Verification -> Cm and Cmk, etc. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
Q Quality Technician (calibration / metrology) - Memphis, TN Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
G Is repeatability required for equipment calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
was named killer AS 9100D - Calibration Instructions - Controlled documents? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
B Photovoltaic Tester Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
B Temperature loop: partial calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
G Glass scale calibration at 74 degrees F? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A Digital Timer Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Ron Rompen Barcode Verifier Calibration and Use Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 5
S Is Optical Parallel Set required calibration? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A Calibration of Power Supplies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Calibration Process Flow Map Example Wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Calibration or Verification? What terminology to use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N Calibration Requirements for Production Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Calibration Equipment Selection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Sample Calibration SOP for ISO 13485 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L Calibration of Plug Gauges - Tolerancing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
L In house calibration - Our CMM's are outside certified can I use them to certify our standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R Standard Filter for Calibration Colorimeter ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
J Documenting a Calibration Interval Extension Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
F Calibration certificate content - Average Value and True Value ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
B Oscilloscope - AC gain calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
G Is it common to do a repeatability check during calibration of an instrument? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
A Adjustment of Calibration Intervals (Shortening or Lengthen) Calibration Frequency (Interval) 6
A Calibration required by OEM General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S ISO17020 - Equipment calibration requirement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
H Can a calibration lab still use ISO 6789:2003 as guide for torque calibrations Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
H Calibration of InfraRan Vapor Analyzer - where to get calibration for SF6 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2