Calibration and Determine Pitch Diameter of Tapered Thread

M

magaiver

I work in a laboratory of calibration accredited to calibration Thread Gauges (Parallel). I use for measuring a internal thread the method "two-ball stylus" and for measuring a external thread the method " three wires". I use the SIP - Universal Measuring Machine.

But i need prepar my laboratory to calibrate Thread Gauges Internal and External (both tapered thread). Please, I need article, tutorial or information techniques about how to calibrate and the principal information about how to determine pitch diameter and angle.

I use the software freeware QMSys Thread-PD 4.1 to determine Pitch Diameter of Parallel Thead, I can use this software for determine the Pitch Diameter for the tapered thread????

I take this opportunity to ask, when i'll use the "Measurement method: inclined" on the software QMSys Thread-PD?

Sorry, english is not a my default language.

Than youk!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

apestate

Quite Involved in Discussions
For the most very basic info on how to measure a tapered thread (external), look it up in machinery's handbook.

I can measure the PD of an NPT thread using an optical comparator. I'll describe that.

Set the part up on the optical comparator with a radius chart. 1/8"-27 NPT requires a thread wire of .024", off the top of my head, so I'm going to use that as an example.

The pitch diameter measurement is taken at a gage distance of .1615" from the face. I need to nestle the .012" radius on the chart inside the thread at .1615" from the face of the part, so I set the part up in a V-block so that I can rotate it and get the thread centered into the radius gage.

Then I just zero the axis and drop down to the other side of the part, rotate the part 180^ and take another measurement.

There's a two wire method as well. Internal threads are probably going to be qualified by the use of thread plug master gages.

I don't really know the answers to your questions, but that is how you can measure the PD of an external NPT.

J

jbeckproe

for most tapered treads a master plug/ring gage is used to check the pitch. Run a search for gagemaker. The website has all the info and tools needed to check any thread.

M

magaiver

Hello!

Yes, but I'm a calibration laboratory and the accrediting body - Inmetro / Brazil requires that flank the diameter / pitch and semi-angle of the cone.
The laboratories have a BMC in the order of 0.003 mm ..

Thank you !

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Calibration of Pressure Gauge, How to Determine Calibration Tolerance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
K 7.6 c) c) Have Identification in order to determine Calibration Status Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
S How to determine Preventive Maintenance and Calibration Grace Periods General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S Clause 7.6 - "Shall have Identification in order to determine its calibration status" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 34
D How to determine the Calibration/Test Weights with their classes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Furnace Classes in relation to AMS 2750 to determine Calibration Interval Calibration Frequency (Interval) 2
A How to Determine Machine Tool Calibration Interval? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L Calibration - Buying New Tools - How do you determine the next calibration date? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
N How to determine Type-B uncertainty?What distribution?With Calibration beginner guide Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 11
R Statistical Studies to determine Calibration Frequency General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
R Test & Measuring Equipment - Statistical studies to calibration determine frequency Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Calibration of Digital thermometer with surface probe General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T Calibration or Verification -> Cm and Cmk, etc. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
Q Quality Technician (calibration / metrology) - Memphis, TN Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
G Is repeatability required for equipment calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
was named killer AS 9100D - Calibration Instructions - Controlled documents? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
B Photovoltaic Tester Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
B Temperature loop: partial calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
G Glass scale calibration at 74 degrees F? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A Digital Timer Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Ron Rompen Barcode Verifier Calibration and Use Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 5
S Is Optical Parallel Set required calibration? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A Calibration of Power Supplies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Calibration Process Flow Map Example Wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Calibration or Verification? What terminology to use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N Calibration Requirements for Production Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Calibration Equipment Selection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Sample Calibration SOP for ISO 13485 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L Calibration of Plug Gauges - Tolerancing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
L In house calibration - Our CMM's are outside certified can I use them to certify our standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R Standard Filter for Calibration Colorimeter ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
J Documenting a Calibration Interval Extension Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
F Calibration certificate content - Average Value and True Value ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
B Oscilloscope - AC gain calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
G Is it common to do a repeatability check during calibration of an instrument? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
A Adjustment of Calibration Intervals (Shortening or Lengthen) Calibration Frequency (Interval) 6
A Calibration required by OEM General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S ISO17020 - Equipment calibration requirement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
H Can a calibration lab still use ISO 6789:2003 as guide for torque calibrations Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
H Calibration of InfraRan Vapor Analyzer - where to get calibration for SF6 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M How to read a calibration certificate for thermo hygrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
L Calibration Frequency for Surftest SJ-400 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
C External Laboratories and OEM Calibration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
V Ammeter calibration - Measuring head (on pic.) problem General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
F How many signatures do we need on calibration certificates? ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
V Calibration certificate verification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
F Online courses - Metrology, standardization, calibration and ISO 17025 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
A Calibration Certificate Results General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
K ISO 17025:2017 clause 7.6.2 - Performing calibration of its own equipment shall evaluate the measurement uncertainty ISO 17025 related Discussions 6