Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Calibration Cert - Measurement Unit for Nominal Value of a Calibration Resistor

Dongzkie

Involved In Discussions
Hi. just want to know if this is acceptable. The nominal value of a calibration resistor was 100milliohms then I found out that the calibration result was 0.1124ohms, I know how to convert from mohms to ohm but I just want to really know whats the correct unit to use in the certificate.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Calibration Certificate - The nominal value of a calibration resistor

A Quick Bump!

Can someone help?

Thank you very much!!

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi. just want to know if this is acceptable. The nominal value of a calibration resistor was 100milliohms then I found out that the calibration result was 0.1124ohms, I know how to convert from mohms to ohm but I just want to really know whats the correct unit to use in the certificate.
As the resistor is in the milliohm range (100), it is very straight forward to state its measurement value also in its range. (112.4)
I am wondering why the calibration result could not be found as 112.4xx ?

D

dv8shane

First why is the resistor measuring 12.4% high? This looks like the meter was possibly not nulled correctly prior to measurement.

In answer to your question it can be expressed in either term Ohms or milli-Ohms.

Dongzkie

Involved In Discussions
yes that's the point, I already talk to the calibration officer but he said its okay that he will just convert it from ohms to milliohms, huh!
As the resistor is in the milliohm range (100), it is very straight forward to state its measurement value also in its range. (112.4)
I am wondering why the calibration result could not be found as 112.4xx ?

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
yes that's the point, I already talk to the calibration officer but he said its okay that he will just convert it from ohms to milliohms, huh!
Since resistors are available as milliOhm, Ohm, KiloOhm and MegaOhm series, I am for calling and writing what they are. Makes sense.
Conversion is maths but let follow convention.

Top Bottom