Calibration Due Date - How can I word my procedure?

Atul Khandekar

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Frequency of Gage R&R

Originally posted by Yasupawoman

does QS9000 via MSA set a guideline on how often something needs to have Gage R&R studies done?
I don't think there are any definitive guidelines for R&R frequency.

You should do R&R :

1. Whenever there is a significant change in the measurement system characteristcs ... instruments, methods, operators, etc

2. (according to some) after every calibration !!

3. Whenever your customer requires it.

-Atul

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jerry Eldred

Forum Moderator
Super Moderator
I think what you would have to convince an auditor is that you have a defined confidence that the measurement equipment will perform measurements within some acceptable limits of error/confidence (either tolerance limits or statistically based (control charts, X-Bar - R, etc..)) for some definable length of time.

The standard method (in the calibration world) is, based on historical data, to set an appropriate interval based on the equipments historical ability to remain within a range of tolerance limits.

In the semiconductor world it is quite common to have golden units which check upper/lower control limit confidence, etc. The golden unit has to be well characterized, and meet the stability requirements of the MSA, etc.. Then the MSA is performed at some defined interval.

One of the challenges of replacing a defined calibration interval method with an MSA method is that you still need to have a defined confidence of how long the equipment remains within acceptable CPk or whatever method you use.

Whether this is a better method or not will depend on the specifics of your application. There are many circumstances where a calibration at defined interval is simpler.

I do not believe in fixed frequency calibrations (in general), as they tend to overlook variables of use, environment, equipment degradation. Having a "fixed frequency" for calibration will over the long term, be likely to do one of two things. It will either overuse resources (cal interval too short) or inflict product risk due to unit drifting out of tolerance too often (cal interval too long). For critical applications, it is more reliable to either define a confidence level and adjust intervals as needed to the confidence level, or use MSA (a lot of work in places where it is not required).

Using the stability test in MSA would still need to be done at some defined intervals. The defined interval may well end up being the same as the calibration interval you would arrive at through regularly scheduled calibrations, and may not buy you any resource savings. If you could tell me a little more about what test equipment you are referring to, I might (or might not) be able to give a little further comments.

Atul Khandekar

Stability Test does involve obtaining measurements at a regular frequency. But the period here is much shorter, something like one reading per day or shift. Then you plot these readings on a chart (a simple XBar-R or X-MR chart) whose control limits are previously determined through a benchmark study. You can catch out-of-control and trend situations and decide whether an instrument is drifting. This way statistical stability over a period of time can be monitored. When you do calibrate an instrument, conduct a benchmark study again to determine new control limits and start over...

What I wanted to say is that the QS certified people must already be doing stability tests as part of QS compliance. It should be possible to carry out condition based calibration and justify it.

The question still remains unanswered for

1. Instruments not covered in Control Plan, (and hence not coming under MSA but still need calibration) and
2. Non-QS companies

??

- Atul

PS: er.. yes, Jerry. I am referring to instuments such as verniers, micrometer, dials, etc, typically in an auto/engg industry. I have no knowledge of calibration requirements in chemical and other indutry. There as you say, periodic calibration may be a simpler option.

S

sgiorgi

Just a few comments which you may or may not agree with.

1) As long as your procedures state that all calibrations are valid until the end of the month I cannot see a problem. (Say what you do and do what you say).

2) If you always have 'as found' results on items that require calibration if you calibrate late (it happens) and these 'as found' results are in spec you have no problem. A instrument does not magically go out of spec just beacuse you have passed the date specified on its calibration label.

You may get pulled up because you have not kept to your schedule but if the 'as found' results are in spec you do not have to worry about a potential product recall.

A

Al Dyer

How about this train of thought?

Do an initial R&R and use ongoing Bias, Linearity, and Stability as the drivers for determining the frequency of R&R studies.

Just my opinion, but bias, linearity, and stability give me better confidence in a gage than R&R.

E

energy

The Calibration due date

The train has left the station:bigwave:
Does R&R using ongoing bias, linearity and stability and better confidence in a gage than R&R determine the end of the month calibration date on my caibration? Just asking
:smokin:

Atul Khandekar

Frequencies

Bias test is done at a fixed 'master' value, linearity is bias study over the range of the instrument. In essence these are 'static' tests, that help you determine 'limitations for use', if any.

Stability test confirms statistical stability over a period of time. I would trust stability test to determine if instrument is drifting and hence due for calibration.

R&R is a different ball game. The idea is to determine errors produced due to factors like instrument, measurement methods, operators, environment to decide if the instrument is indeed good enough to control the process it measures. As such, any time any of these factors change, you should do an R&R test, like if you change the fixtures, introduce a new instrument / operator, repair/calibrate existing one, use the instrument to measure some other part,..... Also you can find out if a certain operator needs to be trained.

Hope the train hasn't left the tracks! ;)
- Atul.

E

energy

Re: CAL DUE DATE

Originally posted by SCOTT SNYDER
THIS IS A 2 PART QUESTION.
1) I am have a dissagrement with my boss over my cal due date. My computer software gives a due date as mm/dd/yy, however I would like to state in the procedure that the gauge is not past due until the last day of the month. Everyone outside of my plant says this is how they do it. He insists we would not pass our qs audit with the procedure written this way. He claims that a gauge due on the 1st of the month would still be overdue by 30 days?
This is what my question was about, boys. Let's not miss the forest because of the trees:smokin:
However, I defer to the previous posts regarding this issue to answer my question. There are some good ones. So in keeping in line with question 2, would the following apply to my calibration frequency for a 1" Micrometer with a +/-.002 tolerance on my bar stock parts?
Process control for positional specifications can be separated into the X,Y,&Z components of the measurement. It can be very beneficial to the process owner to identify the source of variation. Especially if the ratio of tolerance consumed to tolerance specified is high. Monitoring the resultant diameter of position deviation adds little value to the process owner when one process delivers a position deviation that is scattered in all four quadrants and another with an equivalent magnitude of deviation emanates from a single point in one quadrant. If the ratio of tolerance consumed to tolerance available is low it may not be worth the effort to monitor the coordinates separately.
To measure process capability of geometric specifications with variable tolerances (MMC-bonus) one can monitor the residual or remaining unused value of tolerance rather than the amount consumed. For each measured feature just add the bonus to the tolerance specified and subtract the amount of positional tolerance consumed. Rather than comparing the mean and standard deviation to a "variable USL" the mean and standard dev of the residual is compared to zero. Cpk of the residual is derived from the Cpl. The variation in feature size when merged with that of position changes the distribution. The standard deviation typically increases but so does the separation of the mean of the residual from zero (consistent with the magnitude of the bonus). It is important that feature size is "in-control" as well as the coordinates of feature position when predicting capability from the residual.
One enormous benefit of doing process capability from the residual is the realization the dynamic relationship between size and position. One should not necessarily target feature size at its specification midpoint! A positional tolerance that is specified as "Zero @ MMC" where the amount of tolerance is fully dependent upon size probably demonstrates that relationship the best:biglaugh:
:smokin:

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Ken K

Marc, I remember that thread well. I was the one that started it, but I can't find it either.

I do remember I wanted to put a +/- 2 days tolerance on the calibration due date to compensate for weekends. The majority of the replies gave me grief for that, but it seems times sure have changed after reading the current replies.

My only advice is if the calibration is due, do it. There shouldn't be any reason not to.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Is the calibration due date of equipment used to be on calibration certificate ISO 17025 related Discussions 38
X When a Gage is past the Calibration Due Date General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
S No Calibration Due Date on a Calibration Certificate unless requested by a customer? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 9
A Calibration Requirements after Exceeding the Calibration Due Date General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
M Done date & due date on calibration stickers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
G Calibration grace period after due date Calibration Frequency (Interval) 14
H How to get the Calibration Due Date? Calibration Certificates Calibration Frequency (Interval) 11
D Extension of Measurement Device Calibration Due Date. AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 12
Wayne Never put an Expiration (Due) Date on a Calibration Certificate Calibration Frequency (Interval) 41
D Late calibration (Calibration Past Due Date) - What do I do now? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 32
M Can Calibration Due Date start upon issuance of the device to production General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
R Calibration Cycle: Calibrate When Issued OR Calibrate by Due Date? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
G Informational Is Past due calibration a non-conformance if tagged "Do Not Use"? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
J AS9100D Clause Brain Fade - Tool was past due for Calibration AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
G Example of Calibration Due Reminders to Leads, Managers & Directors General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
W Calibration Recall or Due Dates - Latitude Calibration Frequency (Interval) 14
T Calibration Laboratory Temperature/Humidity goes out of tolerance due to Power Loss General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
N Auto email reminder sent to customer - Calibration Due Notices Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 5
E Possible escapes due to caliper out of calibration Calibration Frequency (Interval) 4
K Attaching calibration due dates to gages - Sloppy technicians IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
M Calibration is due, but the tool has not been used. Calibration Frequency (Interval) 11
D Validity of ISO 17025 calibration waivers due to proprietary procedures ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
P Calibration Stickers or Other Methods of Identifying when Gages are Due? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 32
B Photovoltaic Tester Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
B Temperature loop: partial calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
G Glass scale calibration at 74 degrees F? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A Digital Timer Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Ron Rompen Barcode Verifier Calibration and Use Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 4
S Is Optical Parallel Set required calibration? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A Calibration of Power Supplies AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
D Calibration Process Flow Map Example Wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Calibration or Verification? What terminology to use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N Calibration Requirements for Production Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Calibration Equipment Selection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Sample Calibration SOP for ISO 13485 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L Calibration of Plug Gauges - Tolerancing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
L In house calibration - Our CMM's are outside certified can I use them to certify our standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R Standard Filter for Calibration Colorimeter ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
J Documenting a Calibration Interval Extension Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
F Calibration certificate content - Average Value and True Value ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
B Oscilloscope - AC gain calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
G Is it common to do a repeatability check during calibration of an instrument? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
A Adjustment of Calibration Intervals (Shortening or Lengthen) Calibration Frequency (Interval) 6
A Calibration required by OEM General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S ISO17020 - Equipment calibration requirement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
H Can a calibration lab still use ISO 6789:2003 as guide for torque calibrations Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
H Calibration of InfraRan Vapor Analyzer - where to get calibration for SF6 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M How to read a calibration certificate for thermo hygrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
L Calibration Frequency for Surftest SJ-400 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
C External Laboratories and OEM Calibration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0