Calibration Engineer and Calibration Technician Job Interview Questions

I am in the process of recruiting for Calibration Engineers and also Calibration Technicians, however have never really had to perform interviews in the past.

I need to come up with some calibration related interview questions to ask the candidates in a face to face interview. The positions are for an in house lab, not a commercial lab. Our scope will be Electrical, Dimensional,torque, Pressure, Temperature,Mass, avionic equipment.

Just wondered if anyone has any suggestions of any suitable questions that I can use so that I can get a feel for the candidates real knowledge. There will be a HR person asking all of the normal HR type questions.

When recruiting, do any of you use a written test? If so, would you have any examples you could pass on. The company I work for currently does not do this, but I wondered if anyone has found it useful.

Any help or advice is welcomed.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
L

lk2012

Hi
I'm not sure I'd bother with writing unless you're recruiting for someone who's supposed to be composing long-winded reports and summaries.
I'd suggest something a bit more hands-on - maybe get a sample product and a sample report and ask them how they'd tackle it. Or show them a typical sample and ask them what they think they would be measuring.
If they know how to handle the measurement equipment and understand drawings / instructions, you're most likely get a good Technician.
Hope this helps
Lil

Project Man

Involved In Discussions
A simple Gage R&R should give you a clear idea of their abilities. I would also advise that you review the ASQ requirements for Quality Technicians and Quality Engineers. You may not require everything ASQ does to be certified but their requirements should give you an idea of the questions you should ask for each position.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Calibration Engineer - Looking for information to develop a job description General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
E Calibration-Conditional Pass Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
S Calibration Interval calculation for ECG Machine Calibration Frequency (Interval) 4
Mikey324 External calibration - Finding in our 3rd party audit General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 58
L A certificate of conformance used to support a calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
A AS9100 - 7.1.5.2 In-House Calibration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25
B UV-A and Illuminance meter Calibration Setup General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
S Calibration Related Posters General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
F Quality Control in Electrical Calibration ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
C Narrow definition of IMTE or calibration possible? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
dhuot1990 In-House Calibration Program - Biotech Industry General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Reference part calibration or verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
M Calibration of equipment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Q Gage calibration / tracking software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Should resolution be included in uncertainty budget for digital caliper or micrometer calibration? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
S Calibration Due date-Critical Connie General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
Q Request Calibration Info Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 16
R Calibration Log - Archive Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
U Calculate acceptance of equipment reading after calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Question on Documented Calibration versus ISO 17025 Accredited Calibration ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
U Calculate acceptance of calibration reading Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
D Air hood calibration ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
K Ground Bond Test for Class I Medical Electrical Equipment - calibration problems IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E Calibration/Verification Report Durometer ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
S Medical device equipment calibration Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
J Scrap Material Scale Calibration Required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
S 7.1.5.2.1 Calibration/Verification Records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
K Is Calibration Required for Non-Adjustable Commercial Inspection Devices? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
F Calibration in GPC/SEC General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Q Changing calibration frequency Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 18
M IATF 16949 SI # 10: Integrated self-calibration of measurement equipment- Needs for explanation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Storing Calibration Certificate Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
B Risk analysis for defective measuring or measuring equipment out of calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S Placing a calibration sticker with someone other than your initials Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
J IATF 16949 Calibration/Verification records question ISO 26262 - Road vehicles – Functional safety 6
M Approval of Calibration Certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
lanley liao Question regarding the calibration of monitoring and measure equipment. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
N IATF Calibration Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
Q Do these certificates of calibration meet ISO 9001 requirements for traceability to NIST? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
T Plug Gage Calibration Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
M Load Cell Calibration using a totalizer on a flow meter General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
E Calibration Records needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D Limited Range Calibration - 5000 lb Industrial floor scale General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Calibration of Small Scales General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 32
C How to Establish the Calibration & Measurement Capability (CMC)? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
I IQOQ or just initial calibration required? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Calibration in real life ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J Calibration cycle for monitoring & measuring tools used in medical device manufacturing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
A Is calibration of test weight required General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S Calibration Frequency for Slip Gauge Kit used for CMM Calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0