Calibration Engineer - Looking for information to develop a job description

Charles Wathen

Involved - Posts
I'm a Group Leader for our Calibration Department with currently 10 calibration techs that report to me. We are a Medical Device company called Guidant located in Southern California.

In my budget for 2006, I will be seeking a Calibration Engineer. Our company currently does not have any job descriptions for this position, and I'm looking for any information in order to develop a job description for this position so I can submit it to our Compensation Department for approval.

The Engineer will be assigned different projects that are measurement related, so the person will need to have previous calibration experience. Also, I will be working with this Engineer to help us develop measurement uncertainties for our standards, then to the rest of the production equipment. Another facet will be developing trends in our department.

So my request here is two fold: getting information to create a job description, and to view potential resumes for this position. You can learn about our company at www.guidant.com. Our division is VI - we develop and sell the well known Stent that keeps arteries open to prevent heart attacks and avoid open heart surgery. Please note that I can't hire anyone without a job discription.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
In addition to general requirements for any calibration engineer (understanding uncertainty, etc.), it might be helpful to include as "nice to have" experience with the instruments used in your organization which the successful candidate will normally be working. (i.e. - it might be overkill to have a guy used to calibrating magnetic resonance imaging machines if all you are going to be calibrating is calipers and micrometers and go/no go gages and vice versa would be worse - having a calibration engineer/technician experienced in calibrating dimensional inspection instruments when your instruments are all electronic such as oscilloscopes and multimeters.)

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
The one to talk to is Chris Grachanen, head of HP Metrology in Houston. He is leading the charge to revise all the calibration related job descriptions in the DOL database.

Not sure of his e-mail addy, but if you can get a copy of the Standard, a publication by ASQ's Measurement Quality Division, it may be there.

Hope this helps.

Hershal

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Calibration Engineer and Calibration Technician Job Interview Questions General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C IATF 16949:2016 Major NC pertaining to 7.1.5.2.1 Calibration/verification records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
E Calibration Records during AS9100 Audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
John Predmore Calibration Determination decision Calibration Frequency (Interval) 15
J ISO 17025 Calibration Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
A Electronic Weighing scale calibration Calibration Frequency (Interval) 4
M Bourdon gauge calibration procedure failure ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
Ed Panek Calibration question Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
S Calibration/Worn gages Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
A Settings rings calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R 7.1.5.2 -- Calibration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
C CALIBRATION CERTIFICATE REQUIREMENTS General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
S Calibration Label issues General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
H Calibration / Capability in a PCP FMEA and Control Plans 1
R First Time Managing Calibration and Measurement System. Need Help. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19
M CE marked medical device - do they need UKAS certified calibration provider ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
JDJohnson Micrometer & Caliper Calibration (ISO-9001) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 26
B Precision Current Loop for Current Probe Calibration Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
Strange Juan Freezers fridges Incubators Calibration Labels General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
D Tolerance and MPEs for Re-calibration Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
D ISO 9001:2015 Calibration Procedures Manufacturing and Related Processes 16
G Calibration of Angle microscope stage micrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
K END CALIBRATION CANNOT BE PERFORMED Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
C Gage Block Grade 1 - Calibration Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 15
JoeRandom11 Question of Calibration Cycles AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
placebo_master What is the difference between "Fitness for Purpose" and "Calibration/Verification"? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
G AMS 2750 F Instrument Calibration Results and Recording AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Q Gage calibration in disarray ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
R GearBox Test Bench Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Q Internal calibration (stopwatch) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D Is calibration really required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
B AS9100 Calibration Register AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
N Misc Calibration Standard Inquiry Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
G IATF 7.1.5.2.1 Calibration/verification records :Program/software verification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
J What risk to cover when NOT using ISO 17025 accredited/certified labs for calibration ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
Moncia ISO 9001 calibration question please ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
CaliperJim Double Ended Thread Plug Gauge Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
R Calibration due dates. Using GAGEpack Software 3
B Calibration Tolerances - Pipettes ISO 8655 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
A Calibration of spring loaded test fixture General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
G Adjustments after calibration ISO 17025 related Discussions 11
A ISO 13485 Calibration Requirements- Assess and Record validity Previous measuring results ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
C Need to understand difference between an actual Calibration vs. a Calibration check General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
R Need help on calibration result analysis Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 17
C Pressure Gauge Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Validating calibration certificate as per API Q1 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
was named killer Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
R Calibration Recall/Reminders ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
B Calibration of Thread Gages with Metric Standards with Conversion to Imperial Units General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C Calibration Procedures and ASTM CALIBRATION standard General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7