SBS - The best value in QMS software

Calibration Frequency - Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices - Clause 7.6

3lutz

Hello to everyone, I'm implementing the ISO 9001:2000 but I do not know how to approach the clausule 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measuring devices, I do understand the importance of this point, but how do I determine the frequency of calibration for measuring devices? or how do I elaborate a plan to meet the requirements in this point? Is there a standard that rules it?

The company which I work for produces gears and some mechanical parts for trucks, so we work with verniers, gages as well as other devices.

Thanks in advance and I love the forum, I think you have done a great job! :applause:

Karla

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
F

fuzzy

Re: Questions about 7.6 Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices

Welcome to the Cove.:bigwave: No hard and fast rules exist in the calibration frequency that I am aware of, but others may provide more solid information. For me, I would base my frequency around usage: gages with very heavy use might require calibration every six months to start, less frequently used gages might go a year, infrequently used devices 18-24 months. Start with a framework something like that, and adjust based upon results. Certain devices, in certain areas may not last the full cycle without "drifting" out of calibration. This may lead you to shorten the frequency, while great results may allow you to stretch the interval. These reactions (especially when out of standard "as found") may be more important than the chosen frequency. Remember the other requirements such as NIST traceability where possible, and a risk assessment when devices are found out of cal. Good luck!!!:D

J

juliov

Fuzzy is correct, I was about to suggest the same guidelines to you. Basically review the usage, look out for the the environment where the devices are used, then determine frequency, make a schedule, enter info.

G

Grizz1345

Hello and welcome,

I would suggest that if you have no history for your tools not to go longer than 12 months between calibrations. After extablishing some history then you can adjust your cycle times accordingly. I have found that encasing gage in a coating of plastice dip has saved my company a goodly amount of money and time. If the seal is not broken when it comes time to re-cal then I just roll it over due to lack of use (which is proven by the unbroken seal). Good luck and if you would like more info feel free to e-mail me.:cool:

qcman

Registered Visitor
We do all of our measuring devices and gages (bought and built) annually - unless of course we know it was mishandle.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator
3lutz,

First, contact CENAM and see if they have guidelines. CENAM is the National Measurement Institute for Mexico. Also, your traceability for calibration is through CENAM.

If they do not have guidance, then check with your accredited calibration provider. If they have any personnel who are PROCERH certified then they should be able to help you determine the best calibration frequency, based on usage.

Hope this helps.

Hershal

L

Louis Reimer

I will add to the excellent advise, It is recommended that you identify the accuracy of your measuring devices and then identify the accuracy that is required of the devices that are being measured.

If you find that the accuracy of the measuring device is 001 and the accuracy of the devices are 010, 10:1 ratio you have some justifications for annual interval based on limited risk. If you find that the the ratio becomes less than 4:1, internal checks or more frequent calibration schedules should be considered since the risk of false positive reading increases as the ratios get smaller. Also using the manufacturer recommended interval until history is establish has been used by many other companies as well.:cool:

P

potdar

Among other good things my friends have mentioned, do not forget to define your acceptance limits for error in each MMD. The standards define very tight limits for acceptance and if you dont define, the calibrators are very happy to declare your instruments as "not fit for use" by referring to the standards.

Your acceptance limits should be based on what you do with the instrument rather than what the instrument is supposed to be capable of doing.

A very coarse example : One of my clients has afoundry and a machining unit in the same premises. Verniers "not fit for use" in the machine shop are marked with red and sent to the foundry where they are perfectly "fit for use". The acceptance error limits for verniers and "verniers marked in red" are different.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Calibration Frequency for Slip Gauge Kit used for CMM Calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
B Gage calibration frequency, ISO and IATF - What are the requirements Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
L Calibration Frequency for Surftest SJ-400 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
D Determining Calibration Frequency schedule for items used in production Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
J 95% reliability for calibration frequency Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
G Sequence and Frequency of Calibration for Thread Gauges General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Marc Calibration Frequency (Interval) Discussions Sub-Forum General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
J Digital Scale Re-Calibration Interval Frequency General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
M A Guide or Standard for Calibration Interval (Frequency) Calibration Frequency (Interval) 2
smryan Weight Calibration Standards - External Calibration Frequency General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
G UID Compliance Verifier Calibration Test Card Calibration Frequency General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Q Can we go by different Calibration Frequency vs. What's on the Certificate ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
K Pin Gage Use vs. Calibration Frequency Calibration Frequency (Interval) 13
S Gage Calibration Requirement and Frequency/Extended Frequency ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
drgnrider Calibration Schedule (Frequency) not properly reflected on Laboratory Paperwork Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
Y Calibration Frequency Requirements of Liquid in Glass Thermometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Calibration Frequency of Thread Gages use for Aluminium and Stainless Steel Products Calibration Frequency (Interval) 6
G Dial Indicator Calibration Frequency - ASME/ANSI B89.1.10M-1987 Calibration Frequency (Interval) 4
G Usage and Calibration History for Calibration Frequency AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
S Calibration Frequency for a Measurement Device: Vibration Meter Calibration Frequency (Interval) 4
M Thread Plug Gage - Calibration Frequency ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A How Companies Coordinate their Calibration Frequency General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Definition of Calibration Frequency - Dispute during Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
K Determination of Calibration Frequency by an Outside Laboratory Calibration Frequency (Interval) 5
E Calibration Frequency of Reference Magnets for Gauss Meter Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
V Gage Block Calibration Frequency Requirements Calibration Frequency (Interval) 20
Z CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) Calibration Interval (Frequency) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
MarilynJ6354 Torque Wrench Calibration Frequency (Calibration Interval) Calibration Frequency (Interval) 38
AnaMariaVR2 Plate washer maintenance & calibration frequency? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
R CMM Calibration Frequency - Bendix manual Coordinate Measuring Machine Calibration Frequency (Interval) 5
C Extending the Calibration Frequency of a Measurement Device Calibration Frequency (Interval) 17
L CMM - Calibration Frequency and Variation Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
D Calibration Frequency of CMM as per ISO/IEC 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 11
T Calibration Frequency - Evidential Breath Analizer Calibration Frequency (Interval) 25
C Calibration Frequency and training a new calibration coordinator IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
J In car position check fixtures - Calibration frequency and How to Calibrate them IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
D Minimum Frequency for Thermometer Calibration Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 5
R Calibration of a frequency measurement device/frequency source General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R New Equipment Calibration and determination of Calibration Frequency General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
M What is the recommended calibration frequency for gage blocks? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 2
M Extending Surface Plate Calibration Frequency General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Ajit Basrur Reduction of calibration frequency for CMM (coordinate measuring machine) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
H Determining Measurement (Measuring) Device Calibration Frequency Calibration Frequency (Interval) 36
K Calibration Frequency of a CMM Machine (Coordinate Measuring Machine) Calibration Frequency (Interval) 1
K Calibration Frequency for Leica Laser Tracker Calibration Frequency (Interval) 4
R Microwave Time and Frequency Calibration Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 11
T Basis for Calibration Method and Intervals (Frequency) - FAA approved repair station Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 10
F Calibration Intervals (Frequency) for Stereoscopes, Microscopes, etc. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
H Determining Calibration Frequency for Ammeters & Voltmeters used on the line Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
N Calibration Frequency of Measurement and Test Devices Calibration Frequency (Interval) 26