Calibration Frequency of Thread Gages use for Aluminium and Stainless Steel Products

D

daniel

I am interested to obtain recommendation of the number of uses of thread gages before re-calibration for stainless steel and aluminum products respectively.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Calibration Frequency of Thread Gages use for Aluminium and Stainless Steel Produ

I am interested to obtain recommendation of the number of uses of thread gages before re-calibration for stainless steel and aluminum products respectively.
Manufacturer's recommendations. Without more info, it's very hard to answer with any more detail.

D

daniel

Re: Calibration Frequency of Thread Gages use for Aluminium and Stainless Steel Produ

Manufacturer's recommendations. Without more info, it's very hard to answer with any more detail.
I am running a calibration lab. I am looking for the best method to recall thread gages for re-calibration: by fixed calendar period or by the number of uses of the thread gages.
If the recall is done by the number of uses I wondered if it should be material oriented. I could not find manufacturers recommendations.

BradM

Staff member
Admin

I am running a calibration lab. I am looking for the best method to recall thread gages for re-calibration: by fixed calendar period or by the number of uses of the thread gages.
If the recall is done by the number of uses I wondered if it should be material oriented. I could not find manufacturers recommendations.
A good question. All I would suggest is data is our friend. :)

Do you have sufficient data on the thread gauges as far as what kind of wear was found when they were verified? If they are on the same interval with approximately the same wear, then you could assume (at least initially) that you could base it on calendar period. If you have the same interval with significantly different wear/tear, then it might be better to base off of uses (or department/ technician/ etc. use).

Daniel: I had exactly this question many years ago. We machined a lot of "303" stainless (not sure what it is in the USA) and tapped it with a 3/8 UNC thread (or similar size). We found that at the rate we manufactured these parts and gauged them, the first few turns on the thread plug gauges wore significantly. We found out because we had a reject on a supplier's parts and his gauge was new/calibrated! Humble pie eaten that day!

So,our machine shop went to dedicated gauges as part of the tooling package for the stainless steel parts (we also machined a lot of alum alloys) and were recalled for cal. on a use basis and we derived the data from the cals. The small costs involved saved a huge amount of other problems!

Project Man

Involved In Discussions

We have side stepped this question (to a certain extent) by only using TiN coated gages. The gages are certified with the coating so when the coating wears off the gage is out of calibration.
On jobs that are long running or known to have a high wear risk, we include tool inspection intervals in the work instructions.

A

AndrisSkulte

Ditto what ProjectMan said. Seeing the TiN coating wear off makes it easy to ID when the gage has worn significantly. Our in-house gage lab would also check the thread plug with a meas over wires when it was returned back in from the floor.

Rate of thread plug wear is very much use dependent. Are your threads tapped to the larger size of in-tol? Are the parts clean? Thru-holes instead of blind? Gage lube used? Then the gage will wear much better than dirty blind holes with burrs on the threads where the operator runs the tap in until it bottoms + 1/2 turn to meet his min thread depth.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Sequence and Frequency of Calibration for Thread Gauges General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Thread Plug Gage - Calibration Frequency ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
L Calibration Frequency for Surftest SJ-400 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
D Determining Calibration Frequency schedule for items used in production Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
J 95% reliability for calibration frequency Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
Marc Calibration Frequency (Interval) Discussions Sub-Forum General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
J Digital Scale Re-Calibration Interval Frequency General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
M A Guide or Standard for Calibration Interval (Frequency) Calibration Frequency (Interval) 2
smryan Weight Calibration Standards - External Calibration Frequency General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
G UID Compliance Verifier Calibration Test Card Calibration Frequency General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Q Can we go by different Calibration Frequency vs. What's on the Certificate ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
K Pin Gage Use vs. Calibration Frequency Calibration Frequency (Interval) 13
S Gage Calibration Requirement and Frequency/Extended Frequency ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
drgnrider Calibration Schedule (Frequency) not properly reflected on Laboratory Paperwork Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
Y Calibration Frequency Requirements of Liquid in Glass Thermometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
G Dial Indicator Calibration Frequency - ASME/ANSI B89.1.10M-1987 Calibration Frequency (Interval) 4
G Usage and Calibration History for Calibration Frequency AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
S Calibration Frequency for a Measurement Device: Vibration Meter Calibration Frequency (Interval) 4
A How Companies Coordinate their Calibration Frequency General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Definition of Calibration Frequency - Dispute during Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
K Determination of Calibration Frequency by an Outside Laboratory Calibration Frequency (Interval) 5
E Calibration Frequency of Reference Magnets for Gauss Meter Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
V Gage Block Calibration Frequency Requirements Calibration Frequency (Interval) 20
Z CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) Calibration Interval (Frequency) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
MarilynJ6354 Torque Wrench Calibration Frequency (Calibration Interval) Calibration Frequency (Interval) 38
AnaMariaVR2 Plate washer maintenance & calibration frequency? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
R CMM Calibration Frequency - Bendix manual Coordinate Measuring Machine Calibration Frequency (Interval) 5
C Extending the Calibration Frequency of a Measurement Device Calibration Frequency (Interval) 17
L CMM - Calibration Frequency and Variation Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
D Calibration Frequency of CMM as per ISO/IEC 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 11
T Calibration Frequency - Evidential Breath Analizer Calibration Frequency (Interval) 25
C Calibration Frequency and training a new calibration coordinator IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
J In car position check fixtures - Calibration frequency and How to Calibrate them IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
D Minimum Frequency for Thermometer Calibration Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 5
R Calibration of a frequency measurement device/frequency source General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R New Equipment Calibration and determination of Calibration Frequency General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
M What is the recommended calibration frequency for gage blocks? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 2
M Extending Surface Plate Calibration Frequency General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Ajit Basrur Reduction of calibration frequency for CMM (coordinate measuring machine) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
H Determining Measurement (Measuring) Device Calibration Frequency Calibration Frequency (Interval) 36
K Calibration Frequency of a CMM Machine (Coordinate Measuring Machine) Calibration Frequency (Interval) 1
K Calibration Frequency for Leica Laser Tracker Calibration Frequency (Interval) 4
R Microwave Time and Frequency Calibration Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 11
T Basis for Calibration Method and Intervals (Frequency) - FAA approved repair station Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 10
F Calibration Intervals (Frequency) for Stereoscopes, Microscopes, etc. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
H Determining Calibration Frequency for Ammeters & Voltmeters used on the line Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
N Calibration Frequency of Measurement and Test Devices Calibration Frequency (Interval) 26
R Calibration Intervals (Frequency) derived from Variables Data Calibration Frequency (Interval) 30
3 Calibration Frequency - Control of Monitoring and Measuring Devices - Clause 7.6 Calibration Frequency (Interval) 14
N Grade 2 Gage Block Calibration Frequency? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 6