Calibration Interval calculation for ECG Machine

subbash

Involved In Discussions
Hi,

I am working on finding the calibration interval for our ECG Device. Can anyone suggest the process that has been used.

I am reviewing the guideline document from ILAC which details different approaches.

Can we use the number of ECG Records captured on the device and set a threshold. Based on the threshold set we can set the initial interval. After subsequent calibration cycles, We can use the calibration result to adjust the calibration interval. Is this approach okay to be used.

To support the initial calibration interval I am planning to use the MTBF Value that is generated too.

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Hello subbash,

I certainly support using past calibration performance to help decide and/or alter calibration frequency. I hope you are planning to track drift instead of failures, as risking gauge failure through extended calibration cycles seems non-productive. This is why I am not sure about using MTBF for determining calibration, although some organizations support it. NIST suggests using control chart-type tracking as one factor in the decision. I agree with NIST.

Do the instruments' manufacturers recommend a cycle time frame? I tend to see their recommendations on the short side, perhaps out of caution but they don't know what the cost of failure would be.

I am not affiliated with Brooks Instrument.

subbash

Involved In Discussions
Dear Jen,

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes We are planning to track the drift. To do that, We are planning to measure the performance of the devices from the period first batch was shipped out till now.

For example, If the first batch of devices were shipped in 2016. We are planning to verify sample of 2 or 3 devices each year. For example. 2 devices which are in field for 5 years, 2 devices which are in field for 4 years and so on upto the device which has been in field for 1 year.

So this would help us to understand the variation in the device performance. Is this plan fine or do you have any other suggestions.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Hi subbash,

I don't understand how your plan measures drift in measurement devices. Ideally, the only variable would be your measurement device. It would be measuring NIST traceable standards repeatedly (hopefully the same exact standards) so the only thing that changes is the results shown by your calibrated instrument.

In other words, remember what you are studying: the instrument, not the product over time.

Welshwizard

Involved In Discussions
Hi, measure the same reference artefact periodically, arrange the observations in time series order on an Individual moving Range Chart and assess for consistency. Consider a signal on the chart as a prompt to adjust the device.

Run a pilot first, you may not like what you see.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Documenting a Calibration Interval Extension Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
A Calibration Interval - AS9100 - Control of Monitoring and Measuring Equipment Calibration Frequency (Interval) 8
D Torque Wrench Calibration Interval Extension with Non-Use? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Marc Calibration Frequency (Interval) Discussions Sub-Forum General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
K Calibration Interval based on Usage Calibration Frequency (Interval) 14
J Digital Scale Re-Calibration Interval Frequency General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
M A Guide or Standard for Calibration Interval (Frequency) Calibration Frequency (Interval) 2
D "As Found" Condition and Calibration Interval Changes Calibration Frequency (Interval) 5
B Calibration Interval of Munsell Color Charts General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C Furnace Classes in relation to AMS 2750 to determine Calibration Interval Calibration Frequency (Interval) 2
A How to Determine Machine Tool Calibration Interval? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Z CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) Calibration Interval (Frequency) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
MarilynJ6354 Torque Wrench Calibration Frequency (Calibration Interval) Calibration Frequency (Interval) 38
D Nonadjustable M&TE - 10 year calibration interval? Pin Gages Calibration Frequency (Interval) 11
somashekar Calibration interval (Clause 7.6 ISO 13485:2003) - Biomedical test instruments ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Thermometer Calibration and Calibration Interval ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J What's your interpretation of Clause 7.6 - Calibration 'Interval'? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 16
J Recommendations on calibration interval (frequency) ISO/IEC 17025:2005 para 5.10.4.4 ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
A Calibration Interval (Frequency) Adjustment using Hilliard type 2 algorithm Calibration Frequency (Interval) 11
L Projecting Calibration interval for Resistors Calibration Frequency (Interval) 2
R Need help on calibration result analysis Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 14
C Pressure Gauge Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Validating calibration certificate as per API Q1 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
was named killer Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
R Calibration Recall/Reminders ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
B Calibration of Thread Gages with Metric Standards with Conversion to Imperial Units General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C Calibration Procedures and ASTM CALIBRATION standard General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
T Torque tool calibration Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
E Calibration-Conditional Pass Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
Mikey324 External calibration - Finding in our 3rd party audit General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 58
L A certificate of conformance used to support a calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
A AS9100 - 7.1.5.2 In-House Calibration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25
B UV-A and Illuminance meter Calibration Setup General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
S Calibration Related Posters General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
F Quality Control in Electrical Calibration ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
C Narrow definition of IMTE or calibration possible? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
dhuot1990 In-House Calibration Program - Biotech Industry General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Reference part calibration or verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
M Calibration of equipment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Q Gage calibration / tracking software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Should resolution be included in uncertainty budget for digital caliper or micrometer calibration? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
S Calibration Due date-Critical Connie General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
Q Request Calibration Info Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 16
R Calibration Log - Archive Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
U Calculate acceptance of equipment reading after calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Question on Documented Calibration versus ISO 17025 Accredited Calibration ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
U Calculate acceptance of calibration reading Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
D Air hood calibration ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
K Ground Bond Test for Class I Medical Electrical Equipment - calibration problems IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E Calibration/Verification Report Durometer ISO 17025 related Discussions 2