Calibration Key Performance Indicator

cutsdean

Involved In Discussions
Sorry if this has been asked before but does anyone have a suggestion for a calibration kpi? I realise that this can be very business specific but suggestions will help me in developing one for my business

Cheers

Cutsdean

insect warfare

QA=Question Authority
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Key Performance Indicator Calibration

A couple of basic ones that come to my mind immediately are:

Calibration and/or repair cost per year
Calibrations scheduled vs. completed

Please explain your calibration program in more detail (if you don't mind)....

Brian :rolleyes:

Mikishots

<snip> does anyone have a suggestion for a calibration kpi? I realise that this can be very business specific but suggestions will help me in developing one for my business <snip>

Some things we look for where we work:

-Number of due devices forwarded for cal vs. number that are showing as due. This shows efficiency in locating and removing the tools from the floor when required.

-Number of devices forwarded past their due date; a risk is introduced if this occurs.

-Number of devices in active use that are out-of-cal (based on random audits). We can also include scheduled audit findings, if any.

-Dollars spent for subcontract calibration (if used) vs. budgetary allowances. This can include the dollars spent on calibrating devices vs. simply tossing them and buying new ones.

And finally, a most important part of the KPI: you must have targets. Try to ensure that the KPI has a defined time-sensitive target value, then have explicit thresholds that grade the difference (or gap) between the actual value and the target.

Your KPI's may be very different; they need to tie directly into your quality and business objectives. The above may be unsuitable for your situation.

Last edited:

cutsdean

Involved In Discussions

Thanks for the suggestions they are good food for thought. Our calibration is mainly outsourced with limited simple equipment calibrated in house.

K

kgott

Sorry if this has been asked before but does anyone have a suggestion for a calibration kpi? I realise that this can be very business specific but suggestions will help me in developing one for my business

Cheers

Cutsdean

Perhaps you might choose to back through 7.6 of ISO 9001 where I'm sure you will find some ideas for success. Remember, success indicators are about what makes the process effective and successful.

Every man and his dog type indicators are not key indicators.

qusys

Cheers

Cutsdean

Adding something to the other suggestions of expert Covers:

- return of the calibrated devices within the agreed time
- customer satisfaction percentage about the rendered service

Hope this helps too:bigwave:

G

guruprasadb

No. of gauges overdue for calibration
No. of gauges out of calibration

Instruments calibration on time
No. of gauges calibrated / Month
Average cost of External Calibration
No of Measurement errors reported due to calibration error.
No of Non conformances reported during external audit / customer audit / internal audit

somashekar

Leader
Admin

Thanks for the suggestions they are good food for thought. Our calibration is mainly outsourced with limited simple equipment calibrated in house.
How about determination of calibration interval scientifically based on usage and handling so as to add value to calibration process which meets quality assurance objective ~~~

insect warfare

QA=Question Authority

How about determination of calibration interval scientifically based on usage and handling so as to add value to calibration process which meets quality assurance objective ~~~

Exactly. Why spend unnecessary costs re-calibrating and/or verifying M&M equipment if there is no requirement or need?

In the past, we outsourced calibration services on electrical safety analyzers we were required to use and, based on our indicators, we determined that an annual interval was most appropriate. Later on down the road, our customer's MSA specifically outlined a 6-month calibration interval for the same equipment, and this ended up doubling our calibration costs in that realm, so this meant re-defining the objectives in order to maintain cost control.

Brian :rolleyes:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Cheers

Cutsdean

What kinds of problems have you had with calibration? Why do you feel a KPI is necessary?

Top Bottom