Calibration lab reqts for QS9000 (TS also?)

J

JerryStem

I posted this question earlier in the QS9000 forum but this may be the better choice:

What is the latest version of QS9000 saying about the use of outside calibration labs? Can they use OEM services, or do they now HAVE to be ISO Guide 25/17025 accredited? (There was a deadline of 1/1/01 at some point.)

I am the QM of a calibration lab that services coating/plating thickness measurement requirements (XRay, Eddy Current, Magnetic, Beta, Linear Voltage) and I am accredited Guide 25 by A2LA. I need to know what to tell our customers as far as who they can use per QS9000...

Any help would be great.......
Jerry

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

Dan Larsen

Ahhh, quality and marketing...what a mix!

The registrars are holding that all calibration services MUST be accredited to ISO Guide 25/17025 as of 1/1/01 or a major will be written. However, the standard reads that the OEM MAY be used if a qualified laboratory does not exist fo rthe service.

Now, some of the OEM's are getting their accredition so this then becomes a mute point and they become your competition. For those OEM's that don't get accredited, the water becomes murky.

Assume the company tells the auditor that they are using the non-accredited OEM because no accredited providers are available. The auditor is paid to audit, not dictate suppliers. I suspect the issue would be acceptable and closed in the auditors mind. I can't imagine an auditor telling the company "Oh, but a cal lab DOES exist...and, therefore, you have to use them!"

By the same token, if you are accredited to the scope of the calibration that is being performed, you can easily compete with the unaccredited OEM for the business.

I'm not sure this is exactly what you're looking for, but it's my read on the situation.

J

JerryStem

Actually, that was exactly what I was looking for. As of right now, no OEM's in our industry are accredited to Guide 25. Theoretically, we get exclusive business... (Right, in a perfect world...)

I guess the thing for us then is to somehow point out to our customers (current & potential) that WE are it as of right now...

Thanks for the help.

Jerry

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Can a calibration lab still use ISO 6789:2003 as guide for torque calibrations Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
S How many of you are using Robotic process automation for calibration lab management? ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
S The procedure for replicate check in calibration lab as per ISO 17025 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S Is it mandatory for a Calibration Lab to be ISO 17025 accredited? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
R (OOT) Measurement Equipment after the calibration at a third Party lab General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
SATHYABALARAMAN Calibration Laboratory vs. Standards Lab Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
N Calibration Lab unable to issue Accredited Certificate when error is too high? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
K Calibration & Testing Lab here in the States - RA Audit - Wow! General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
S Setting up a Scale Calibration Service lab - Where to start? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
C Setting up Pressure Calibration In-House Lab General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
S FDA guidelines for Calibration Lab needed US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
C Wabash Press Calibration - Lab-sized Wasbash Presses General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
D ISO/TS16949 Internal Calibration Lab need to include Production Equipments IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 26
J Industry Standard for turning in gages to the Calibration Lab? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S Applying principles of lean to a calibration lab? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
R In-house Calibration and still maintain my "we do not have a lab" status? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
D ISO/IEC 17025 required for a calibration lab to be ISO certified? ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
A Looking for Calibration Lab's on Reynosa, Mexico ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
J Calibration Lab Requirements for QS-9000 (TS also?) QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
K Dimensional Lab (CMM Room) vs. Physical Test/Calibration Lab - Same required temp/hum General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C Supplier Lab Requirements/Calibration Services QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 3
F Standard Calibration Procedures: Recommended Practice ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
T Temperature Requirements For In House Calibration - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
B Gage calibration frequency, ISO and IATF - What are the requirements Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
Crimpshrine13 Laboratory Scope - Calibration vs. Test Methods - IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Crimpshrine13 Calibration of pH Meter Probe Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
F ESD workbench "calibration" Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C Correct Calibration Method for Dial Depth Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
F Nist traceable calibration certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Calibration of Digital thermometer with surface probe General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T Calibration or Verification -> Cm and Cmk, etc. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
Q Quality Technician (calibration / metrology) - Memphis, TN Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
G Is repeatability required for equipment calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
was named killer AS 9100D - Calibration Instructions - Controlled documents? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
B Photovoltaic Tester Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
B Temperature loop: partial calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
G Glass scale calibration at 74 degrees F? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A Digital Timer Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Ron Rompen Barcode Verifier Calibration and Use Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 5
S Is Optical Parallel Set required calibration? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A Calibration of Power Supplies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Calibration Process Flow Map Example Wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Calibration or Verification? What terminology to use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N Calibration Requirements for Production Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Calibration Equipment Selection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Sample Calibration SOP for ISO 13485 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L Calibration of Plug Gauges - Tolerancing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
L In house calibration - Our CMM's are outside certified can I use them to certify our standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R Standard Filter for Calibration Colorimeter ISO 17025 related Discussions 1