Calibration Labels - Is it a requirement that you spell out the word calibration?

D

Diane Smith

On your calibration label; is it a requirement that you have the word calibration spelled out or can it say "CAL".
Also for the "due date" does it have to say "date due" or can it say "due"?
All of this is in the interest of saving space and thus cutting down on the label size.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jerry Eldred

Forum Moderator
Super Moderator
I don't know of any requirement that specific. In one of my previous posts I believe I described how in some circumstances you may not have to have a label.

The bottom line is that you must have a method that ensures the measurements made by any instrument are properly traceable to some standard units of measure (that is a VERY abbreviated description of a lot of detail requirements).

It is not quite so important how the label is worded. What is more important is that the user/operator of the calibrated instrument knows when he or she can or cannot use that instrument to make measurements.

I have heard in some instances having a chart on a wall listing due dates for instruments (operators had to be trained to assure they knew how to understand the chart). I have heard of using color coded dots (same rules). I began developing a label-less method where all measuring instruments were on a production database with due dates entered, so that a past due instrument could not be used in the system. There are a lot of variations on what could be used.

All that rambling to say that no, it does not matter whether CAL or CALIBRATION, or DUE or DATE DUE. What is important is knowing that users absolutely know how to, and demonstrate that they know how to interpret them, and that instruments absolutely will not be used past the due date.

I might recommend that which ever wording you use, be sure it is defined in your policy, so your labeling is unambiguous.

G

Graeme

I have to agree with Jerry - I don't know of any general requirement that specific. In every case where I have seen a detailed requirement for what should be on a calibration label, it has originated inside the organization. What goes on there is whatever YOU say belongs there.

As an example, the calibration labels from the lab I am working with have the company logo, equipment asset number, due date, initials of the technician, department number of the lab, and the department number of the owner. That information keeps QA and the government regulatory agency happy, and there is no reason for anything more. Everything is pretty small print (8 point) except the due date -- that is 12 point and bold-face to make it stand out. The whole thing is 3/4 inch high and 1 inch long, and automagically computer generated.

As Jerry mentioned, other threads have included discussion that a label may not be "needed" at all. I personally hesitate to go that far, but I have seen another system that works. This has labels of a sort, but there is no text at all on them.
  • The tools have calibration intervals in weeks.
  • The calibration lab has assigned a color to each week.
  • Each tool has a colored band or label on it. It is due for recalibration during the week of that color.

Is the system documented? Do the people affected know how to use it? Is it effective in achieving the goal?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tagin Recommendations for calibration labels for ESD floor mats General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
S Calibration Labels Per Piece or is a Listing Acceptable? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
D Calibration labels - Does all measuring equipment require a label to indicate status? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
Raffy Calibration Labels - Original Calibrating Date or New Date? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
D Gage Labels - Is the gage number on the calibration label enough? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Crimpshrine13 Laboratory Scope - Calibration vs. Test Methods - IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Crimpshrine13 Calibration of pH Meter Probe Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
F ESD workbench "calibration" Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C Correct Calibration Method for Dial Depth Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
F Nist traceable calibration certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Calibration of Digital thermometer with surface probe General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T Calibration or Verification -> Cm and Cmk, etc. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
Q Quality Technician (calibration / metrology) - Memphis, TN Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
G Is repeatability required for equipment calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
was named killer AS 9100D - Calibration Instructions - Controlled documents? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
B Photovoltaic Tester Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
B Temperature loop: partial calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
G Glass scale calibration at 74 degrees F? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A Digital Timer Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Ron Rompen Barcode Verifier Calibration and Use Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 5
S Is Optical Parallel Set required calibration? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A Calibration of Power Supplies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Calibration Process Flow Map Example Wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Calibration or Verification? What terminology to use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N Calibration Requirements for Production Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Calibration Equipment Selection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Sample Calibration SOP for ISO 13485 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L Calibration of Plug Gauges - Tolerancing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
L In house calibration - Our CMM's are outside certified can I use them to certify our standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R Standard Filter for Calibration Colorimeter ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
J Documenting a Calibration Interval Extension Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
F Calibration certificate content - Average Value and True Value ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
B Oscilloscope - AC gain calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
G Is it common to do a repeatability check during calibration of an instrument? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
A Adjustment of Calibration Intervals (Shortening or Lengthen) Calibration Frequency (Interval) 6
A Calibration required by OEM General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S ISO17020 - Equipment calibration requirement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
H Can a calibration lab still use ISO 6789:2003 as guide for torque calibrations Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
H Calibration of InfraRan Vapor Analyzer - where to get calibration for SF6 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M How to read a calibration certificate for thermo hygrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
L Calibration Frequency for Surftest SJ-400 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
C External Laboratories and OEM Calibration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
V Ammeter calibration - Measuring head (on pic.) problem General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
F How many signatures do we need on calibration certificates? ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
V Calibration certificate verification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
F Online courses - Metrology, standardization, calibration and ISO 17025 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
A Calibration Certificate Results General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
K ISO 17025:2017 clause 7.6.2 - Performing calibration of its own equipment shall evaluate the measurement uncertainty ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
G Third party auditor mentions no grace period for calibration Calibration Frequency (Interval) 22