Calibration Management Software: MudCats Metrology Suite

B

Bob Collins - 2006

I have been evaluating Calibration management software for several months and am wondering if anyone out there is using the Mudcats Metrology Suite. I'm curious as to what your opinion is regarding ease of use, time/cost savings Vs. old method, etc.

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

D.Scott

Welcome to the Cove Bob.

Sorry but I don't know the software you are referring to so I can't help there but there is a very basic Access program that I uploaded a while back for Cove members that you are welcome to use. I think it is still available - maybe one of the moderators can help with leading you in the right direction.

Dave

R

Rob Nix

Ask Hershal Brewer at:

***DEAD LINK REMOVED***

He had a recent post here at Elsmar and referenced MudCats, so he might be able to help you. He is a regular at the ASQ Discussion Forum site and THE person to ask on questions of metrology.

I hope he doesn't mind the plug.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Rob,

Thanks for the plug. Of course now Ihave to go deflate my ego a bit! :)

Mudcats is a relative newcomer to the calibration management software arena. I have not heard anything bad about it so far. Edison ESI developed it. ESI has a NVLAP accredited calibration lab. Talk to Shannon over at Edison ESI. If she does not have the answers to yur questions, she can get them.

The other dominant players are CyberMetrics, makers of GAGETrack, and Blue Mountain Resources, makers of Blue Mountain. Both are good packages also, and between the two, they have the lion's share of the COTS (Commercial Off The Shelf) market.

GAGETrack runs MS Access in the background. I believe Mudcats and Blue Mountain run SQL in the background. Blue Mountain is also optomized for PDA use, making it highly portable.

I recommend getting a demo version of each, put the demos on a stand-slone computer, and have the folks who will use the package day-to-day actually run a side-by-side comparison. Select the package that best meets what you need.

Ask each of the developing organizations if their package includes an uncertainty calculator. If not, I know a good one available at no cost.

Hope this helps.

Hershal

J

JStain - 2008

Calibration management software

I've implimented and used all those mentioned here, as well as Flukes Met/Track. I have not used Mudcat though.

Depending on your use you may want to consider how robust the system needs to be. I found Met/Track to be good, but a bit expensive for a comapny with only a 1,000 assets to track.

I found Blue Mountains CALMAN to be adequate, but it's a closed database, so no SQL querys and the report generator Crystal reports to be fickle to work with. I must say bang for your buck CALMAN is pretty good, but somewhat limited.

LABMATE is top-of-the -line and leaves nothing to want for, but with a pricetag of $10,000 per license it's prohibitive to a small single company.

A good source of information on this topic is Quality Progress magazines annual review. JMHO

G

Grizz1345

Hi Bob,

I have been using GageTrak for the last 5 years. I have 2300 gages in my database and love the software. I have found there Tech Support very helpful and the software very user friendly. Hope this helps.

PS I must admit to doing beta testing for these people. :cool:

D

dfirka

Regarding LABMATE, the company that originally developed the soft (NorFox) was acquired by IndiSoft last year, developers of Gage InSite.

Although Indisoft still supports LabMate 3.5, they dropped support for Visual LabMate, and is encouraging LabMate customers to "upgrade" to Gage InSite. I don't know if they are currently selling any new licences of LabMate.

Daniel

J

Joe Cruse

Dave, I'm interested in looking at your Access file, but couldnot find it in the listing of attachments. Do you remember the file name, by any chance?

Thank you,

Joe

S

Southern Girl

ASQ Certifed Calibration Technician Cert #110

:bigwave: I have also used GageTrack, GMS (Gage Management System :yuk: :blowup: ) and Engage!. GageTrack was okay, no complaints and can you guess how I feel about GMS? The report writer is not user friendly at all and very limited in application. I am in the process of purchasing Engage! for my new job (currently using an Excel spreadsheet). I hope that the report manager is as good as it was 4 years ago :confused: and a license is priced at $1350. (When I used it before, I had over 3000 gages in the database including the MSA study informaton). Never used the Blue Mountain software, but I have heard that it was okay. Just another opinion to muddy the water! :biglaugh:

G

Graeme

The lab I am working with looked at MudCats, compared it with several others including some add-ons that our main software supplier was developing. The lab management decided to stay with what we have - IndySoft's Gage InSite - and get their new add-ons for interval analysis and calibration automation.

(I must say, though, that MudCats has improved greatly over the last four years. If what they have today was available then, it would have made our initial software decision much more challenging.)

I see the old Norfox LabMate system mentioned a few times - also known in the Navy calibration world as the MEASURE system. That company no longer exists and support rights have been aquired by IndySoft. LabMate was one of the systems we evaluated four years ago but it had so many negatives it was not even a contender. We went with IndySoft's Gage InSite, although the Blue Mountain product was a close contender at that time.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C The Best Calibration Management Software Recommendations wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
K Application of Electronic Records & Signatures in Calibration Management Software Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
K Gage Life and Calibration Management Software - Seeking Opinions / Reviews General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
S How many of you are using Robotic process automation for calibration lab management? ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
D ISO 17025 and Calibration Laboratory Risk Management Requirements ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
S QMS (Quality Management System) and Calibration Procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
M Calibration Management Research - Master's Thesis at UCLA Anderson School of Business General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
H Calibration / Capability in a PCP FMEA and Control Plans 1
R First Time Managing Calibration and Measurement System. Need Help. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
M CE marked medical device - do they need UKAS certified calibration provider ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
JDJohnson Micrometer & Caliper Calibration (ISO-9001) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 26
B Precision Current Loop for Current Probe Calibration Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
Strange Juan Freezers fridges Incubators Calibration Labels General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
D Tolerance and MPEs for Re-calibration Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
D ISO 9001:2015 Calibration Procedures Manufacturing and Related Processes 16
G Calibration of Angle microscope stage micrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
K END CALIBRATION CANNOT BE PERFORMED Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
C Gage Block Grade 1 - Calibration Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 15
JoeRandom11 Question of Calibration Cycles AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
placebo_master What is the difference between "Fitness for Purpose" and "Calibration/Verification"? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
G AMS 2750 F Instrument Calibration Results and Recording AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Q Gage calibration in disarray ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
R GearBox Test Bench Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Q Internal calibration (stopwatch) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D Is calibration really required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
B AS9100 Calibration Register AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
N Misc Calibration Standard Inquiry Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
G IATF 7.1.5.2.1 Calibration/verification records :Program/software verification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
J What risk to cover when NOT using ISO 17025 accredited/certified labs for calibration ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
Moncia ISO 9001 calibration question please ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
CaliperJim Double Ended Thread Plug Gauge Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
R Calibration due dates. Using GAGEpack Software 3
B Calibration Tolerances - Pipettes ISO 8655 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
A Calibration of spring loaded test fixture General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
G Adjustments after calibration ISO 17025 related Discussions 11
A ISO 13485 Calibration Requirements- Assess and Record validity Previous measuring results ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
C Need to understand difference between an actual Calibration vs. a Calibration check General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
R Need help on calibration result analysis Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 17
C Pressure Gauge Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Validating calibration certificate as per API Q1 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
was named killer Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
R Calibration Recall/Reminders ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
B Calibration of Thread Gages with Metric Standards with Conversion to Imperial Units General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C Calibration Procedures and ASTM CALIBRATION standard General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
T Torque tool calibration Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
E Calibration-Conditional Pass Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
S Calibration Interval calculation for ECG Machine Calibration Frequency (Interval) 4
Mikey324 External calibration - Finding in our 3rd party audit General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 58
L A certificate of conformance used to support a calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
A AS9100 - 7.1.5.2 In-House Calibration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25