SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Calibration of Cable & Antenna Tester: Site Analyzer

M

MALAYA - 2007

Hi!

I would like to set up a calibration system for calibrating, "Cable & Attenna Tester for Wireless System: Bird Site analyzer". Please suggest me the Reference Standards which can calibrate the following parameters:
1. RF Power
2. RF Frequency
3. VSWR, Return Loss

Your reply will be highly appreciated.

Sarju

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Re: Calibration of Cable & Attenna Tester: Site Analyzer

Hello Sarju!

Welcome to the Elsmar Cove!:agree1:

First, just a few preliminary questions. How many units are you wanting to calibrate?

Would you not think that it would be better in the end to send them to a qualified lab and have them calibrate them?

Do you have the accuracy requirement listed?

Depending on what kind of equipment you are wanting to calibrate, it can get very expensive very quickly buying the standards that you need. You will need higher-order power/frequency sensing equipment.

Anyway, when you get a chance, drop a note and let us know a little more about your situation.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator

Hi!

I would like to set up a calibration system for calibrating, "Cable & Attenna Tester for Wireless System: Bird Site analyzer". Please suggest me the Reference Standards which can calibrate the following parameters:
1. RF Power
2. RF Frequency
3. VSWR, Return Loss

Sarju
Hello Sarju,

I did a search and found a listing of various Site Analyzers manufactured by Bird Electronics Corporation.

Each of the product descriptions has a link to a downloadable manual (Pdf) that descibes the calibration method. The analyzer that I looked at has a "self calibration" routine described in Chapter 2. Have you looked at this site and info before?

Here is another collection of links you should look at.

Hope this helps a little. If not, let us know.

Stijloor.

M

MALAYA - 2007

Glad that u r trying to find something. I have gone through those site. The "self calibration" u r talking about is different. That is actually a zeroing or we can say its a lead compensation kind of function, which we need to do it everytime before using the instrument. I need the "Annual calibration method", to verify whether its specification are still within its limits. I tried to contact Bird, but not getting any reply.

Folks, please help me finding a solution!!!

BradM

Staff member
Admin

Hello Sarju!

I'm pretty confident there are plenty of people to help you with a solution, but I for one will need some more information.

What are you trying to calibrate? Why are you interested in calibrating this instead of having a qualified vendor calibrate it?

Many times a MFG. of equipment will not be interested in providing information about servicing their equipment. It's easier, safer, and more profitable for them to have you send it back to them for service.

As far as setting up your own lab, one piece of test equipment can be $20,000 USD alone, not to mention it's annual calibration cost.

So when you can, please try to provide us answers to my previous questions and the like.

M

MALAYA - 2007

Dear Mr. Brad,

Thank you for your concern. We have almost 50 nos. of Site Master/ Analyzers. Therefore ,we are planning to set up an inhouse calibration lab. If we consider the cost& time to be spent, it is a better option than sending it all to the MFG. for annual calibration.

RF reference standard/source should have the capability to verify the following parameters:
1. RF Power (dBm)
2. RF Frequency (Hz)
3. Return Loss(dB)
4. VSWR
5. Attenuation
6. Bandwidth
7. Amplitude Modulation
8. Frequency Modulation
9. Phase Modulation

We are trying for Fluke 9640A RF Reference Source( 0.05dB accuracy), but till date Fluke is unable to establish the set up for VSWR/ Return Loss.

Hope, the informations may be of use in finding the best standard that can serve my purpose.

So, please drop your ideas and experiences in the field of RF calibration.

Sarju

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi!

1. RF Power
2. RF Frequency
3. VSWR, Return Loss

Sarju
Some additional questions.......

First, what are the applicable Standards (e.g., IEC 60101, IEC 60950, IEC 61010)?

Are you testing 1, 3, and 10 meters? Or only 1 and 3? Or.....?

Are you indoors or outdoors?

What is the anticipated frequency range and configuration type of the antenna(s)?

Do you have TDR/FDR equipment for the cables?

Some additional information is helpful.....

M

MALAYA - 2007

Dear Mr. Hershal,

You seems to be talking about testing of Antenna, may be I've created a confusion using the word Antenna Tester. I've as many as 50 nos. of RF Instruments called, " Site Analyzer( Make: Bird)" which is used for testing cable and antenna and I want to calibrate those Site analyzer using a right Reference Standard. But, unfortunately i dont have the calibration procedure or some alternate method to calibrate its parameters like, Power Level(dBm), VSWR, Return Loss etc.

Hope things are cleared now. So please drop your idea.

Sarju

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Malaya, I'm not for sure, but I think what Hershal was trying to ask had to do with finding out about more of your application. The questions regarding the antennas are not to test the antenna, but to find out what kind of simulation should occur to the equipment hooked to the antenna. Make sense?

Per his response, what is the applicable procedures? Also, are you going to be testing this equipment in a controlled environment, or calibrating them in-place?

You might want to contact Bird again, and offer to pay for a calibration procedure for the meter. In the end, it might be worth it to you. Also, if you perform any American Government work, you can access GIDEP, and they probably have the applicable procedure.

Another suggestion would be to contract someone to come on-site. Pay them to help establish a procedure, identify the correct equipment, train you on how to properly calibrate it and such.

Just some more thoughts.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Gage calibration / tracking software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
C Should resolution be included in uncertainty budget for digital caliper or micrometer calibration? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
S Calibration Due date-Critical Connie General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
Q Request Calibration Info Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 16
R Calibration Log - Archive Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
U Calculate acceptance of equipment reading after calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Question on Documented Calibration versus ISO 17025 Accredited Calibration ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
U Calculate acceptance of calibration reading Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
D Air hood calibration ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
K Ground Bond Test for Class I Medical Electrical Equipment - calibration problems IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E Calibration/Verification Report Durometer ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
S Medical device equipment calibration Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
J Scrap Material Scale Calibration Required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
S 7.1.5.2.1 Calibration/Verification Records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
K Is Calibration Required for Non-Adjustable Commercial Inspection Devices? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
F Calibration in GPC/SEC General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Q Changing calibration frequency Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 18
M IATF 16949 SI # 10: Integrated self-calibration of measurement equipment- Needs for explanation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Storing Calibration Certificate Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
B Risk analysis for defective measuring or measuring equipment out of calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S Placing a calibration sticker with someone other than your initials Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
J IATF 16949 Calibration/Verification records question ISO 26262 - Road vehicles – Functional safety 5
M Approval of Calibration Certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
lanley liao Question regarding the calibration of monitoring and measure equipment. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
N IATF Calibration Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
Q Do these certificates of calibration meet ISO 9001 requirements for traceability to NIST? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
T Plug Gage Calibration Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
M Load Cell Calibration using a totalizer on a flow meter General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
E Calibration Records needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D Limited Range Calibration - 5000 lb Industrial floor scale General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Calibration of Small Scales General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 32
C How to Establish the Calibration & Measurement Capability (CMC)? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
I IQOQ or just initial calibration required? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Calibration in real life ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J Calibration cycle for monitoring & measuring tools used in medical device manufacturing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
A Is calibration of test weight required General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S Calibration Frequency for Slip Gauge Kit used for CMM Calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
S Calibration/Verification of customer fixtures IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
Ron Rompen Calibration by manufacturer ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
Q Calibration verification records 7.1.5.2.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
B AS9100D 7.1.5.2 Calibration or Verification Method using outside cal lab AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
W Next Calibration Due Date Calibration Frequency (Interval) 5
S Where do l get calibration standards to run a calibration lab? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
A OEM On-Site Calibration issues during Covid19 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
D Calibration tolerance question using Pipettes Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
M Calibration Certificate Result issued by an accredited external laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
G Calibration of "Master Parts" Used as Gauges Calibration Frequency (Interval) 5
R Calibration lab environmental monitoring General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
G Calibration of Rotronic probe but not digital readout? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
F Standard Calibration Procedures: Recommended Practice ISO 17025 related Discussions 0