--> calibrating, whatever glassware; for instance a saccharometer,
--> burets. I have been trying to keep checks using weight
--> comparison,(1grm = 1ml distilled water), but this is difficult w/
--> the 15ml Sacc. Any suggestions.
-->
--> Thanks,
--> David Smith

Dave:

I really don't have any experience with glassware. We'll see if anyone here on the forum has any expddrience in glassware.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
For those of you who might be interested - I was....

----------snippo----------

Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 13:29:20 -0500
Subject: Calibrate/verify glassware

Hi Greg,
Can you provide me with some tips or suggestions on calibrating / verifying burets, sacchrometers,etc.? How do I decide if it is necessary? When the test points can't be altered due to being etched in place, is a calibration check necessary? I have been trying to keep a check using weight comparison; 1grm = 1ml distilled water. This is difficult to justify accuracy. I am puzzeled with this, give me a suggestion if you can, thanks

Sincerly,
David Smith

----------response----------

Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 09:40:16 -0500 (EST)

Moderator Note,

NIST publication NUST/SP-819 "A Procedure for the Effective Recalibration of Liquid-in-Glass Thermometers" states that high quality liquid-in-glass thermometers require only one complete calibration in their lietime. It is possible to avoid the usual requirement for complete recalibration of the instrument by recalibration of a SINGLE previously calibrated temperature. The need to recalibrate is due to the gradual relaxation of residual mechanical strains in the glass that have significant effect on the volume of the bulb. Recalibration of a SINGLE point provides reliable indication of the effect of this change in volume and provides a means for the accurate adjustment of the remainder of the scale. This is how to deal with thermometers. I would think that other glassware would exibit similar strains. Greg

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Saw this later...

-----snippo-----

Subject: Liquid in Glass Thermometers, NATA position
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 09:57:52 -0500 (EST)

Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 08:32:46 +0800
Subject: RE: Calibrate/verify glassware

Liquid in glass thermometers can be checked for changes in the bulb volume over time by a single ice point check. The ice point check is suitable for checking change in the glass elasticity over time. The scale calibration is used to check the scale has been etched onto the glass in the proper place and should not change. Any change in ice point should be linear over the scale. NATA (Australia) require complete calibration of reference thermometers every 10 years and ice point checks every 6 months.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 1999 10:40 PM

Moderator Note,

NIST publication NUST/SP-819 "A Procedure for the Effective Recalibration of Liquid-in-Glass Thermometers" states that high quality liquid-in-glass thermometers require only one complete calibration in their lietime. It is possible to avoid the usual requirement for complete recalibration of the instrument by recalibration of a SINGLE previously calibrated temperature. The need to recalibrate is due to the gradual relaxation of residual mechanical strains in the glass that have significant effect on the volume of the bulb. Recalibration of a SINGLE point provides reliable indication of the effect of this change in volume and provides a means for the accurate adjustment of the remainder of the scale. This is how to deal with thermometers. I would think that other glassware would exibit similar strains.

Greg

-----The REAL Original Message-----

--> From: "David Smith"

Date: Mon,
--> 22 Mar 1999 13:29:20 -0500 Subject: Calibrate/verify glassware
-->
--> Hi Greg, Can you provide me with some tips or suggestions on
--> calibrating / verifying burets, sacchrometers,etc.? How do I decide
--> if it is necessary? When the test points can't be altered due to
--> being etched in place, is a calibration check necessary? I have been
--> trying to keep a check using weight comparison; 1grm = 1ml distilled
--> water. This is difficult to justify accuracy. I am puzzeled with
--> this, give me a suggestion if you can, thanks Sincerly, David
--> Smith...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Need thoughts on calibration of Class A volumetric glassware General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Aircraft Coffee Maker Repair Bench Glassware Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
T Volumetric Glassware (pipettes) Calibration Uncertainty Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 8
A Calibration of Type A Glassware in Testing Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
A Glassware calibration - Do we need to calibrate or recalibrate laboratory glassware General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
R Glassware calibration - Must all A-class glassware be checked before use? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Calibration of Glassware - Pipettes & Flask General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
T Temperature Requirements For In House Calibration - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
B Gage calibration frequency, ISO and IATF - What are the requirements Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
Crimpshrine13 Laboratory Scope - Calibration vs. Test Methods - IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Crimpshrine13 Calibration of pH Meter Probe Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
F ESD workbench "calibration" Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C Correct Calibration Method for Dial Depth Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
F Nist traceable calibration certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Calibration of Digital thermometer with surface probe General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T Calibration or Verification -> Cm and Cmk, etc. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
Q Quality Technician (calibration / metrology) - Memphis, TN Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
G Is repeatability required for equipment calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
was named killer AS 9100D - Calibration Instructions - Controlled documents? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
B Photovoltaic Tester Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
B Temperature loop: partial calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
G Glass scale calibration at 74 degrees F? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A Digital Timer Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Ron Rompen Barcode Verifier Calibration and Use Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 5
S Is Optical Parallel Set required calibration? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A Calibration of Power Supplies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Calibration Process Flow Map Example Wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Calibration or Verification? What terminology to use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N Calibration Requirements for Production Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Calibration Equipment Selection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Sample Calibration SOP for ISO 13485 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L Calibration of Plug Gauges - Tolerancing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
L In house calibration - Our CMM's are outside certified can I use them to certify our standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R Standard Filter for Calibration Colorimeter ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
J Documenting a Calibration Interval Extension Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
F Calibration certificate content - Average Value and True Value ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
B Oscilloscope - AC gain calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
G Is it common to do a repeatability check during calibration of an instrument? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
A Adjustment of Calibration Intervals (Shortening or Lengthen) Calibration Frequency (Interval) 6
A Calibration required by OEM General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S ISO17020 - Equipment calibration requirement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
H Can a calibration lab still use ISO 6789:2003 as guide for torque calibrations Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
H Calibration of InfraRan Vapor Analyzer - where to get calibration for SF6 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M How to read a calibration certificate for thermo hygrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
L Calibration Frequency for Surftest SJ-400 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
C External Laboratories and OEM Calibration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
V Ammeter calibration - Measuring head (on pic.) problem General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
F How many signatures do we need on calibration certificates? ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
V Calibration certificate verification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3