Calibration of Instrument before being Discarded

chris1price

Trusted Information Resource
Hi, when in instrument that is usually calibrated is no longer required, should it be sent for calibration before being discarded to ensure it has been peforming correctly since the previous calibration?

Chris

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ninja

Looking for Reality
My two cents,
That would be a waste of money.

If there is concern regarding measurement drift or reliability for its last use, I would simply remeasure an old "known" part, or cross compare with a similar calibrated gage I had to validate the last measurement before discard.

I would have a really hard road trying to convince people to pay to make sure the trash was functioning properly before we pitched it.

FWIW, your concern about "closing it out" is a good one...just find a cheaper and simpler way to do it.

P

PaulJSmith

I agree with Ninja. It's good that you are thinking about this, but don't throw away money. A simple on-site verification (recorded, of course) should be enough to alleviate any concerns should they arise.

Great question.

chris1price

Hi guys, thanks for the sanity check. In 25 years as a QM I have never done this. However, I recently saw an auditor in the pharma business make a non-conformance out of it!

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Absolutely it must be verified prior to disposal.

Otherwise, that device could have impacted everything it was used with. What about if that device has a lot of error? How are you going to know??

If that device was assessed and was important enough to be calibrated, it's final impact (if any) needs to be assessed.

If it hasn't been used since its last calibration, then it's a no brainer. Stated different, if you can justify why a final calibration is not needed (no impact) then You're OK.

I have seen instruments disposed; then they started seeing some process issues and customer complaints. Since a final check was done on the disposed instrument, we knew it wasn't the issue. If we hadn't done that, there is no was we could rule that instrument out.

Calibration is about confidence; you need confidence all the measurement done with it are valid.

BradM

Staff member
Admin
...based on the assessment of risk...

And verified...not calibrated as originally asked. Agreed. :agree:
If there exist suitable methods for verification. I would say probably not; as it was being sent out for calibration in the first place.

To me, it really depends on the usage, criticality, impact, accuracy required, etc.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Likely falls into the age old semantics of Calibration vs. Verification.

The point is to know if your last measurement before discard is reliable (and thus the ones before that too)...not to have the equipment "adjusted" so that the next measurement is reliable...being that there is no next measurement.

To me that's verification...and if I can do that in-house fast and cheap to give me the confidence I'll need to trust the last usage data, I'm all good.

We're saying the same thing, I figure...

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Likely falls into the age old semantics of Calibration vs. Verification.

The point is to know if your last measurement before discard is reliable (and thus the ones before that too)...not to have the equipment "adjusted" so that the next measurement is reliable...being that there is no next measurement.

To me that's verification...and if I can do that in-house fast and cheap to give me the confidence I'll need to trust the last usage data, I'm all good.

We're saying the same thing, I figure...
Oh... OK!! Yes! I can totally agree with this. And I agree!:applause:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Is it common to do a repeatability check during calibration of an instrument? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
D AMS 2750E - Digital Instrument Calibration Accuracy Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S Can Calibration of an instrument substitute for Validation (IQ, OQ,PQ)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A How to read an analog instrument during calibration Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
WEAVER Calibration of Measuring Instrument by Adjustment of its Scales IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R How do I extend Correction factor of Calibration cert to compute instrument accuracy Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
S Instrument Calibration Laboratory setup for API Pharmaceutical Company General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
B AMS 2750 Furnace Instrument Calibration Operating Range AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M Limited Calibrations - An instrument that will not pass a full calibration, OOT General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
K Pyrometry Question - Furnace and Oven Instrument Calibration IAW AMS 2750 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
R Does Humidity affect Electronic Instrument Calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
P Instrument Handling & Calibration Training Material General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
S What to do with Prior Analysis after instrument was Out Of Calibration (OOC)? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 14
E Maintenance Instrument Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
R Calibration of Noise Source Instrument General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
H Calibration of Measuring instrument, MRP gauges in machining General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
V Calibration Laboratory Environment and Instrument Tolerances General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 15
F Weighing Instrument Calibration Laboratory - Difficulties in Implementing a QMS? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
D Personnel Training - Per Calibration Procedure or Type of Instrument? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Instrument Calibration Requirements - Determining what affects quality General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
F ESD workbench "calibration" Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C Correct Calibration Method for Dial Depth Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
F Nist traceable calibration certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Calibration of Digital thermometer with surface probe General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T Calibration or Verification -> Cm and Cmk, etc. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
Q Quality Technician (calibration / metrology) - Memphis, TN Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
G Is repeatability required for equipment calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
was named killer AS 9100D - Calibration Instructions - Controlled documents? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
B Photovoltaic Tester Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
B Temperature loop: partial calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
G Glass scale calibration at 74 degrees F? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A Digital Timer Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Ron Rompen Barcode Verifier Calibration and Use Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 5
S Is Optical Parallel Set required calibration? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A Calibration of Power Supplies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Calibration Process Flow Map Example Wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Calibration or Verification? What terminology to use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N Calibration Requirements for Production Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Calibration Equipment Selection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Sample Calibration SOP for ISO 13485 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L Calibration of Plug Gauges - Tolerancing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
L In house calibration - Our CMM's are outside certified can I use them to certify our standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R Standard Filter for Calibration Colorimeter ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
J Documenting a Calibration Interval Extension Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
F Calibration certificate content - Average Value and True Value ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
B Oscilloscope - AC gain calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
A Adjustment of Calibration Intervals (Shortening or Lengthen) Calibration Frequency (Interval) 6
A Calibration required by OEM General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S ISO17020 - Equipment calibration requirement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3