Calibration of Pin Gages - What are my options?

M

Montserrat P

I have a doubt with regard to this case:

We are using pin gages to measure dimensions of a part numbers. However, I have detected that the pin gages were not in our calibration system. I request something that validate the accurancy and reliability of that pin gages. Therefore, I would like to know which is the best procedure to accomplish with it.

Option: Request to the manufacturer of the pin gages the calibration certificate of each pin gage that was bought.
Option: Request to the manufacturer a new set of pin gages with the certification certificate and use them as "our standard" for the next pin gages that we could need.
Option: Take the dimensions of a pin gage and make a drawing of it. Then, the calibration technician could verify that dimensions of the pin gages in the area vs the mesauring of fthe drawing.

Which is the best option?

I would like to know your comments with regard it.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Bubba

Involved In Discussions
If you are using the pin gages to measure product, they should definitely be included in the calibration system.

Option: Request to the manufacturer of the pin gages the calibration certificate of each pin gage that was bought.
Unless your individual pin gages were originally calibrated by the manufacturer and serialized, it is doubtful that the manufacturer will have any information for you. Even if they did, if the pins have been used for any length of time, it would be beneficial to have them calibrated again to make sure that they are still within tolerance.

Option: Request to the manufacturer a new set of pin gages with the certification certificate and use them as "our standard" for the next pin gages that we could need.
Ordering a new set of calibrated pin gages is certainly an option, but then you will still be left with uncalibrated pins that will have to be thrown away or strictly segregated from the calibrated pins to avoid accidental use. A better alternative would probably be to send the original pins to an approved calibration laboratory to have them calibrated. This gives you the additional benefit of knowing whether any of the pins you have already been using are out of tolerance.

Option: Take the dimensions of a pin gage and make a drawing of it. Then, the calibration technician could verify that dimensions of the pin gages in the area vs the mesauring of fthe drawing.
If you have the capability to verify the dimensions of the pin gages within the acceptable tolerance, this is probably the best option. You will need to make sure that whatever you are using as a standard to measure the pins has greater accuracy, resolution and precision than the pin gages themselves. If that is not the case, it would probably be better to send them to someone else.

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
what we do

I have a large set of pin gages (.061" to .750"). I have my system set-up to check each pin before use with a micrometer. Thus I avoid having to send them out for calibration. I've used this system for several years and it works well.

CarolX

M

MsHeeler

Question: Is ASME B89.1.5-1998 a standard or a guidline? I need evidence if it is a standard.

NWrubberQA

Starting to get Involved
Re: what we do

Carol, do you document your pin gage verification prior to use? If so, how have you done that. We just had a finding becuse we do not document the verification.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Calibration of Pin Gages using a Calibrated Caliper that measures to 4 decimal places General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 15
N Calibration of Setup Fixtures & Pin Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
D Nonadjustable M&TE - 10 year calibration interval? Pin Gages Calibration Frequency (Interval) 11
J Calibration of Pin Gages - AS9100 Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 23
C Black Oxide Gage Pin Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
W Setting up a Zmike for Pin Gage Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C ZZ Pin Gage Tolerances and Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S Pin Gage Calibration - Pins seem to be "growing" General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
K Pin Gage Use vs. Calibration Frequency Calibration Frequency (Interval) 13
M Gage pin calibration - Actual calibration readings required on the calibration cert General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C Gage pin calibration procedure for accurately calibrating gage pins General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 18
B Pin Gage Calibration Procedure - ISO 17025:2005 accreditation requirements? ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
V Calibration of Pin Gauges General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C Pin Gauge Calibration using a Micrometer - Accuracy & Calibration Level Question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
C Internal Diameter Measurement and Pin Gage Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
L Gage Pin Gauge R&R - Our calibration guy said he doesn't know how to do one Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 21
N Seeking Procedure(s) - Methodology: Calibration of Pin Gauges General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
N Pin Gage Sets - Calibration costs - Just buy new ones? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
J Calibration, should we.... Go-No-Go, thread, pin, and ring gauges QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
F ESD workbench "calibration" Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C Correct Calibration Method for Dial Depth Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
F Nist traceable calibration certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Calibration of Digital thermometer with surface probe General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T Calibration or Verification -> Cm and Cmk, etc. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
Q Quality Technician (calibration / metrology) - Memphis, TN Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
G Is repeatability required for equipment calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
was named killer AS 9100D - Calibration Instructions - Controlled documents? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
B Photovoltaic Tester Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
B Temperature loop: partial calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
G Glass scale calibration at 74 degrees F? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A Digital Timer Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Ron Rompen Barcode Verifier Calibration and Use Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 5
S Is Optical Parallel Set required calibration? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A Calibration of Power Supplies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Calibration Process Flow Map Example Wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Calibration or Verification? What terminology to use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N Calibration Requirements for Production Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Calibration Equipment Selection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Sample Calibration SOP for ISO 13485 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L Calibration of Plug Gauges - Tolerancing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
L In house calibration - Our CMM's are outside certified can I use them to certify our standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R Standard Filter for Calibration Colorimeter ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
J Documenting a Calibration Interval Extension Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
F Calibration certificate content - Average Value and True Value ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
B Oscilloscope - AC gain calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
G Is it common to do a repeatability check during calibration of an instrument? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
A Adjustment of Calibration Intervals (Shortening or Lengthen) Calibration Frequency (Interval) 6
A Calibration required by OEM General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S ISO17020 - Equipment calibration requirement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3