Calibration of Scales to Traceable Standards (Clause 7.6) - Required or Not

Manix

Get Involved!!!
Trusted Information Resource
Hey Covers, I'm back again......it has been sometime and I am now in my third company since joining the Cove! Apologies for my absence!

I know there is a recent thread on this, but it doesn't really answer my question so here goes!

Ok I have a similar question and one that has plagued me for years in various companies!

We are TS certified and have scales on site simply to count product when picking parts or verifying incoming deliveries.

Clause 7.6 states you need to establish monitoring and measurement activities, using monitoring and measurement equipment
to provide evidence of conformity of product to determined requirements
Now are our scales doing that? They are not measuring the products we ship to customers against any specified requirements. They do measure the quantity of parts being used internally, thus an internal conformance to PO and Pick requirements, not a product conformance per se!?

The calibration requirements applies, we will calibrate them to ensure we can rely on them, but do we need to do this to traceable standards (UKAS here in the UK?).

There is also the "where necessary" just before 7.6(a)!! Does a discrepancy of 4 screws being short on a pick require us to use traceable standards? My management would probably laugh that one off the table.

There's a reasonably significant cost saving to be made here, hence my question, Standard or Traceable calibration??

Thanks in advance :)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Golfman25

This is one of those mindless "gotcha" issues. We use a weight count scale and they tried to "ding" us because our scales are calibrated by the vendor to the city/state requirements. It's close enough. We have never had a counting issue.

I guess, it really depends upon how important it is to you and your customer. If you're selling nickels, then being off 1 or 2 is no big deal. If your selling $100s, then you may want to make sure you're precise.

Manix

Get Involved!!!
I think what I will do is probably UKAS calibrate the scales used to check incoming goods as this is the more important verification that could affect the customer ultimately - if we're short on parts coming in to the organisation then that's a big deal to detect accurately and easily - picking parts from stock is less critical, as short picks can always be easily rectified and rarely cause us issues.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
7.6 reads like it is directed to final inspection and acceptance of product, but 7.5.1 does require control of processes so there's an expectation that in-process scales can be relied upon to help ensure you meet your objectives. Part of that reliance is an industry-accepted means of verifying accuracy, which includes traceability so we can believe those scales are telling the truth.
:2cents:

The sentence in the standard leading into 7.6a reads:

"Where necessary to ensure valid results, measuring equipment shall"

And then going into letter a:

"be calibrated or verified, or both . . .

If it is necessary for valid results, it needs to be calibrated. If it is not needed for valid results, it doesn't need to be calibrated.

It is my opinion that counting scales used for internal purposes, not for resale of the counted parts, need not be calibrated.

That said, it is also my opinion that it would be a best practice to calibrate them.

Scanton

Wearer of many hats
I happened across this subject while browsing the cove and realised I had exactly the same problem in my company.

We use some balances for counting, we are a fairly remote site (away from any city) so calibration costs are very high, so my solution was to purchase a set of UKAS certified calibration weights (they cost about the same as one calibration visit), gave them a calibration cycle of 10 years and perform the calibration of these balances myself. Hey presto, the calibration costs are reduced 90%. As long as you record the data from the calibration correctly, all is well and good enough to pass audit (or in my case many audits).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Calibration of Small Scales General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 32
A Calibration of Disposable Weight Scales General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
L Is calibration required for weighing scales used for shipping purposes ? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
D Single-Point Scale Calibration - Very Large Scales General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
WEAVER Calibration of Measuring Instrument by Adjustment of its Scales IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
F How to calculate the minimum Value of Mass needed for Scales Calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
R Calibration of Scales for Weigh Counting General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19
C SPC for calibration check data? Daily gram scales check - What is acceptable? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
J UPS owned shipping carton weight scales - Include this in my Calibration system? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
J Should weigh count scales be in the Calibration System? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 4
L A certificate of conformance used to support a calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
A AS9100 - 7.1.5.2 In-House Calibration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25
B UV-A and Illuminance meter Calibration Setup General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
S Calibration Related Posters General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
F Quality Control in Electrical Calibration ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
C Narrow definition of IMTE or calibration possible? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
dhuot1990 In-House Calibration Program - Biotech Industry General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Reference part calibration or verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
M Calibration of equipment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Q Gage calibration / tracking software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Should resolution be included in uncertainty budget for digital caliper or micrometer calibration? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
S Calibration Due date-Critical Connie General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
Q Request Calibration Info Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 16
R Calibration Log - Archive Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
U Calculate acceptance of equipment reading after calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Question on Documented Calibration versus ISO 17025 Accredited Calibration ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
U Calculate acceptance of calibration reading Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
D Air hood calibration ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
K Ground Bond Test for Class I Medical Electrical Equipment - calibration problems IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E Calibration/Verification Report Durometer ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
S Medical device equipment calibration Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
J Scrap Material Scale Calibration Required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
S 7.1.5.2.1 Calibration/Verification Records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
K Is Calibration Required for Non-Adjustable Commercial Inspection Devices? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
F Calibration in GPC/SEC General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Q Changing calibration frequency Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 18
M IATF 16949 SI # 10: Integrated self-calibration of measurement equipment- Needs for explanation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Storing Calibration Certificate Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
B Risk analysis for defective measuring or measuring equipment out of calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S Placing a calibration sticker with someone other than your initials Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
J IATF 16949 Calibration/Verification records question ISO 26262 - Road vehicles – Functional safety 6
M Approval of Calibration Certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
lanley liao Question regarding the calibration of monitoring and measure equipment. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
N IATF Calibration Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
Q Do these certificates of calibration meet ISO 9001 requirements for traceability to NIST? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
T Plug Gage Calibration Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
M Load Cell Calibration using a totalizer on a flow meter General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
E Calibration Records needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D Limited Range Calibration - 5000 lb Industrial floor scale General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C How to Establish the Calibration & Measurement Capability (CMC)? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1