Calibration of Small Scales

duff999

Involved In Discussions
Looking for calibration advice.

We are looking at performing in house calibration for our small scales. We do have a set of weights that we intend to use. How is it best to document the calibration using these set of weights? What sort of documentation should I require from the manufacturer of the weight set we intend to use?

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

duff999

Involved In Discussions
Make sure your weights are calibrated (we have our set done every 5 years). I've attached a simple sheet we use to document. Systems been in place for 15 years, no problems.
Another question regarding the weight set. Can these also be calibrated in house, if I am using a scale/balnce that is currently up to date with its cal, or dies the weight set actually need to be sent out for calibration

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
I am not a metrologist or calibration expert. Having said that, if the weight set is used to calibrate the scale, then the scale is used to calibrate the weight set, that seems to me like circular calibration and would not be acceptable.
You are correct. You need to break such a circular calibration by maintaining traceability to an outside organization.
There is also the question of accuracies - if the weight set is good enough to calibrate the scale then the scale is not good enough
to calibrate the weight set.

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
Looking for calibration advice.

We are looking at performing in house calibration for our small scales. We do have a set of weights that we intend to use. How is it best to document the calibration using these set of weights? What sort of documentation should I require from the manufacturer of the weight set we intend to use?

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

It depends on what you mean by "calibrate" - and this is a touchy question regarding scales.
Most come with a "Calibrate" function, where you set a test weight on it and the scale adjusts itself to that value.

But is that "Calibration"? I would say not.
You have set the scale to measure a single value accurately. You have done nothing to verify that the scale is accurate throughout its full range (linearity), you have done nothing to verify that it reads the same on any point on the pan (cross pan balance), and that it can tare a weight value accurately. You would also be keeping results, determining if they were in or out of tolerance. That would be a "calibration".

Do you really want to "calibrate" these scales, or just perform a daily check on them using a test weight?
Calibrating your own scales means you are setting up all the infrastructure that a calibration lab needs to withstand audits.
Will that cost more to your organization than having someone else calibrate the scales?

Philip B

Involved In Discussions
We have our scales supplier come in and perform an annual calibration. The cost is reasonable (around £350 for three sets of scales), the calibration is independent, we don't have to faff about with test weights and we get a UKAS accredited calibration certificate.

duff999

Involved In Discussions
It depends on what you mean by "calibrate" - and this is a touchy question regarding scales.
Most come with a "Calibrate" function, where you set a test weight on it and the scale adjusts itself to that value.

But is that "Calibration"? I would say not.
You have set the scale to measure a single value accurately. You have done nothing to verify that the scale is accurate throughout its full range (linearity), you have done nothing to verify that it reads the same on any point on the pan (cross pan balance), and that it can tare a weight value accurately. You would also be keeping results, determining if they were in or out of tolerance. That would be a "calibration".

Do you really want to "calibrate" these scales, or just perform a daily check on them using a test weight?
Calibrating your own scales means you are setting up all the infrastructure that a calibration lab needs to withstand audits.
Will that cost more to your organization than having someone else calibrate the scales?
Very good points, thank you. It sounds like this weight set would be good for our daily checks, but for our routine calibration (6 mo, year) where would would get a calibration cert, we stick with an outside firm that we are currently using. I thought I would be able to use this set as my primary calibration for my 6 mo. or yearly calibration.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Looking for Calibration Software for small company General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 20
D Calibration Method for Small Surface Plates (6" x 6") General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
F Identifying Calibration on Small Tools (Measurement Equipment) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
P Are we required to register to REACH? Small CMM service and calibration company RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
S The Best Measurement Capability (BMC) of a Small Calibration Laboratory Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 9
M Calibration in a Small Company with Employee Owned Measurement Equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 21
R Adjustable c-type gauges and calibration - Small job shop General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Marc Calibration Issues for Small Companies - Common Sense Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Q CMM Calibration Certification - Small CMM Calibration Service General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
A AS9100 - 7.1.5.2 In-House Calibration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 20
B UV-A and Illuminance meter Calibration Setup General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
S Calibration Related Posters General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
F Quality Control in Electrical Calibration ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
C Narrow definition of IMTE or calibration possible? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
dhuot1990 In-House Calibration Program - Biotech Industry General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Reference part calibration or verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
M Calibration of equipment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Q Gage calibration / tracking software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Should resolution be included in uncertainty budget for digital caliper or micrometer calibration? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
S Calibration Due date-Critical Connie General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
Q Request Calibration Info Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 16
R Calibration Log - Archive Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
U Calculate acceptance of equipment reading after calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Question on Documented Calibration versus ISO 17025 Accredited Calibration ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
U Calculate acceptance of calibration reading Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
D Air hood calibration ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
K Ground Bond Test for Class I Medical Electrical Equipment - calibration problems IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E Calibration/Verification Report Durometer ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
S Medical device equipment calibration Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
J Scrap Material Scale Calibration Required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
S 7.1.5.2.1 Calibration/Verification Records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
K Is Calibration Required for Non-Adjustable Commercial Inspection Devices? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
F Calibration in GPC/SEC General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Q Changing calibration frequency Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 18
M IATF 16949 SI # 10: Integrated self-calibration of measurement equipment- Needs for explanation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Storing Calibration Certificate Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
B Risk analysis for defective measuring or measuring equipment out of calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S Placing a calibration sticker with someone other than your initials Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
J IATF 16949 Calibration/Verification records question ISO 26262 - Road vehicles – Functional safety 6
M Approval of Calibration Certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
lanley liao Question regarding the calibration of monitoring and measure equipment. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
N IATF Calibration Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
Q Do these certificates of calibration meet ISO 9001 requirements for traceability to NIST? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
T Plug Gage Calibration Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
M Load Cell Calibration using a totalizer on a flow meter General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
E Calibration Records needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D Limited Range Calibration - 5000 lb Industrial floor scale General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C How to Establish the Calibration & Measurement Capability (CMC)? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
I IQOQ or just initial calibration required? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Calibration in real life ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3